Notifications
Clear all

First Week On Accutane For Body Acne And Mild Facial Acne!

MemberMember
(@paisleypaperclips)

Posted : 08/10/2013 11:59 pm

Okay, so today is day 6 of my 6 month cycle of accutane (40mg/day) and I thought it would be a good idea to document my progress on this medication.

A little background:

I've had moderate acne on my face since the age of 11, large pores, and tons of blackheads. When I was in 8th grade it began to bother me some, so my mom and I went to our derm and I was prescribed tetracycline and a standard benzoil topical cream. After 6 months with no improvement, and the develmopent of cystic body acne, I was put on minocyline for 5 months, doxycyline for 7, and tetracycline for 3. All these antibiotics did was give me an upset stomach and no relief for my acne. Going into my sophmore year of highschool, my facial acne was mild and mostly hormonal, but the acne on my back, chest, butt, and thighs was unbearable. At the end of my sophmore year, in response to this, I was put on birth control.....which did a whole load of nothing. So, that brings us to about a month ago. I had been on birth control for five months and when it didnt work my mom and I went back to my derm, and I was prescribed accutane to sort out my body acne.

Present Day:

I have been taking accutane for 6 days now, and I have already begun to notice some of the expected side effects. These include dry lips, itchy skin all over, and peeling right along my jawline and chin.

I really just want to know how long it will be before I notice anything happining to my back and chest....I'm just really eager to see results there!

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to get rid of the peeling skin on my face without irritating it...I would really appreciate it!

MemberMember
(@ls206816)

Posted : 08/13/2013 3:15 pm

I'm pretty sure mine cleared in the 3rd month, maybe a month earlier? I really cant remember! All I know is it happened fast and it happened way before my face cleared up! I still occasionally get a small pimple somewhere on my body so I take a little dot of hand sanitizer to put on it and it literally shrinks to nothing over night!

For the peeling I would just take my fingers or a washcloth and rub small circles, really gently on my face until all the peeling is gone, then apply moisturizer right away. Be very gentle though! One time I was too rough and my skin burned so badly after! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@jon165)

Posted : 08/20/2013 6:07 pm

You probably shouldn't do anything to your peeling skin except moisturize, honestly. Good luck on your course! I just started my second course, feel free to check out my log. :)