Not Sure If I Am Lo...

Notifications
Clear all

Not Sure If I Am Looking For Trouble

MemberMember
(@kiat)

Posted : 08/07/2013 4:09 pm

Greetings from Bangkok, Thailand.

I will try to make this as short as possible.

I'm 34 years old, male.

I had been on Accutane for 3-4 courses. The first 2 courses I used Roaccutane by Roche. The first course was only 6 months and I was taking 20 mg every 2 days. I do not want to count this as a course because only 45 days after the derm put me off it, acne returned.

The 2nd time was good. I was acne free for 2.5 years.

The 3rd time I switched to a Chinese brand. Acne free for 2 years.

The 4th time I switched again to Acnotin, a Thai brand and this time only 1 year later some mild acne came back around Nov 2012.

Please note that each course I took it was up to my weight, say 75 kgs x 120 mg = 9,000 mg in total. 9,000 / 10 mg = 900 pills which covered about 2-3 years to finish.

After acne started to return in Nov 2012, it got worse in April and the worst in May. I ordered Paula's Choice CLEAR system, the blue bottle, and use all of them. Gel wash, BHA, and BP 2.5%.

It works! I have used it for a bit more than 2 months now. My face is almost acne free, but full of red mark as every time I see acne that can be squeezed, I will squeeze it.

Well, although things are improving. I am sure that one day my skin will not respond to topical treatment I am on. And so I am thinking of healing it from the deeper root, the oil gland. Now Acnotin is so cheap here, you pay 1 dollar you get 3 pills (10 mg). However, I am saying no to the risks from this wonderful drug. 4 courses are enough.

Guess what! Yes, the famous B5 and Pantethine are on my mind. I have read a lot on this site before posting this question. That's because I am still confused about how to begin.

Let's see my current supplements.

Country's Life - Buffered C 1000mg

Swansons Hair, Skin & Nails

NOW Foods L-OptiZinc

Swansons AjiPure N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine

Swansons Grapeseed

Doctor's Best Astaxantin

Swansons Saw Palmetto extract 160 mg

Swansons Resveratrol

Swansons Royal Jelly

Swansons Betacarotene 25,000 IU

Swansons Vit E (dry) 400 IU

Carlson Salmon Oil

Country Life Natural Vitamin D3 400 IU

Carlson Selenium

JARROW CURCUMIN

Swansons Dr. Stephen Langer's Ultimate 15 Strain Probiotic with FOS

I'd like to take whether B5 or Pantethine but cannot decide which one. Does Pantethine cause hair loss like B5? I am taking Saw Palmetto because of hair loss, not sure if it's caused by Accutane I took for a long time. I do not lose more than 60 / day though.

Also, I read that B5 should be taken with L-Cysteine. But since I am taking NAC, still do I have to take L-Cysteine?

And if I choose Pantethine, do I have to take NAC out or I just add Pantethine and continue with the rest?

Do I have to add B complex? I notice that it stimulates acne for me. I have it but not taking it.

I am unhappy with oily skin. 2 hours after washing my face it's already oily again. And new acne occurs almost every day. Although mild, it leads to red mark as I squeeze it. You may wonder why I squeeze it. I used to leave it alone, apply BP or clindamycin like Dalacin T yet it grew bigger and in the end I had to see the derm.

For red mark I am using BHA 9 as the last step. After BP 2.5%. I put BHA 9 on red marks and it helps.

Please kindly suggest how should I welcome B5 or Pantethine into my regimen and how much should I start with, and what else I have to add.

Thank you very much.

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 08/07/2013 4:21 pm

I'm 34 years old, male.

I had been on Accutane for 3-4 courses. The first 2 courses I used Roaccutane by Roche. The first course was only 6 months and I was taking 20 mg every 2 days. I do not want to count this as a course because only 45 days after the derm put me off it, acne returned.

The 4th time I switched again to Acnotin, a Thai brand and this time only 1 year later some mild acne came back around Nov 2012.

Please note that each course I took it was up to my weight, say 75 kgs x 120 mg = 9,000 mg in total. 9,000 / 10 mg = 900 pills which covered about 2-3 years to finish.

After acne started to return in Nov 2012, it got worse in April and the worst in May. I ordered Paula's Choice CLEAR system, the blue bottle, and use all of them. Gel wash, BHA, and BP 2.5%.

It works! I have used it for a bit more than 2 months now. My face is almost acne free, but full of red mark as every time I see acne that can be squeezed, I will squeeze it.

Well, although things are improving. I am sure that one day my skin will not respond to topical treatment I am on. And so I am thinking of healing it from the deeper root, the oil gland. Now Acnotin is so cheap here, you pay 1 dollar you get 3 pills (10 mg). However, I am saying no to the risks from this wonderful drug. 4 courses are enough.

Guess what! Yes, the famous B5 and Pantethine are on my mind. I have read a lot on this site before posting this question. That's because I am still confused about how to begin.

NOW Foods L-OptiZinc

Swansons Grapeseed

Doctor's Best Astaxantin

Swansons Resveratrol

Swansons Royal Jelly

Carolson Salmon Oil

Carlson Selenium

JARROW CURCUMIN

I'd like to take whether B5 or Pantethine but cannot decide which one. Does Pantethine cause hair loss like B5? I am taking Saw Palmetto because of hair loss, not sure if it's caused by Accutane I took for a long time. I do not lose more than 60 / day though.

Also, I read that B5 should be taken with L-Cysteine. But since I am taking NAC, still do I have to take L-Cysteine?

Also, if I choose Pantethine, do I have to take NAC out or I just add Pantethine and continue with the rest?

Do I have to add B complex? I notice that it stimulates acne for me. I have it but not taking it.

I am unhappy with oily skin. 2 hours after washing my face it's already oily again. And new acne occurs almost every day. Although mild, it leads to red mark as I squeeze it. You may wonder why I squeeze it. I used to leave it alone, apply BP or clindamycin like Dalacin T yet it grew bigger and in the end I had to see the derm.

For red mark I am using BHA 9 as the last step. After BP 2.5%. I put BHA 9 on red marks and I think it helps.

Please kindly suggest how should I welcome B5 or Pantethine into my regimen and how much should I start with.

Thank you.

LOL i am speechless....

I can only say one thing...

O....M.....G....

That's a LOT of supplements.

Anyways, for oily skin, i read a lot of reviews about people who take zinc. They said it is effective for oily skin.

MemberMember
(@kvekke)

Posted : 08/08/2013 4:24 am

Just wanting to add that I'd be careful taking too many supplements. Eating a healthy and balanced diet should do the trick. Over-using supplements can be toxic. Espescially when it comes to vitamins or,minerals. Have you consulted your doc about all of these supplements?

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/08/2013 4:32 am

The only treatments that can reduce sebum/oil production are:

1. Hormonal treatments such as spironolactone (only for women)

2. Accutane

post-145613-1307348579_thumb.jpg

(Click image)

http://www.bmj.com/highwire/filestream/644490/field_highwire_article_pdf/0/bmj.f2634

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/131/Supplement_3/S163.full.pdf

MemberMember
(@kiat)

Posted : 08/08/2013 7:28 am

I'm 34 years old, male.

NOW Foods L-OptiZinc

Swansons Grapeseed

Doctor's Best Astaxantin

Swansons Resveratrol

Swansons Royal Jelly

Carolson Salmon Oil

Carlson Selenium

JARROW CURCUMIN

Also, if I choose Pantethine, do I have to take NAC out or I just add Pantethine and continue with the rest?

For red mark I am using BHA 9 as the last step. After BP 2.5%. I put BHA 9 on red marks and I think it helps.

Please kindly suggest how should I welcome B5 or Pantethine into my regimen and how much should I start with.

Thank you.

LOL i am speechless....

I can only say one thing...

O....M.....G....

That's a LOT of supplements.

Anyways, for oily skin, i read a lot of reviews about people who take zinc. They said it is effective for oily skin.

I just switched from other type of zinc to 30 mg of L-OptiZinc.

Just wanting to add that I'd be careful taking too many supplements. Eating a healthy and balanced diet should do the trick. Over-using supplements can be toxic. Espescially when it comes to vitamins or,minerals. Have you consulted your doc about all of these supplements?

Thank you. I am thinking of cutting it down but not sure which ones since many of these are beneficial to treating acne and hair loss.

2. Accutane

(Click image)

http://www.bmj.com/highwire/filestream/644490/field_highwire_article_pdf/0/bmj.f2634

2. Accutane

(Click image)

What about B5 and pantethine? Don't these also reduce oil production? As I said, I can go back on Accutane at a great price, even cheaper than B5 or pantethine, but I am not sure of its side effect in a long term. My skin is dry, lips need lip balm, can't live without it and I find Anthony Logistics balm to be the best (FYI).

My point is I want to control oil production, no need to be as good as Accutane. Only if I can reduce oil production to 50% of what it is today, I think I'll be pleased.

I'm not really interested in megadose of B5 as I do not want more hairloss. Can low does of B5 like 1-2 grams reduce oil production? What about pantethine? Please kindly help.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/08/2013 2:16 pm

2. Accutane

(Click image)

I disagree, watching what I eat and taking vitamin C every day reduces my oil production.

OP, have you seen the thread on juicing and taking B5? I think it's located in the adult acne section. I think juicing and getting additional nutrients that way would be way more beneficial than taking all those supplements.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/08/2013 6:24 pm

Let me re-phrase.

The only things that scientific evidence for reducing oil production are Accutane and hormonal treatments. Everything else is based on anecdotal evidence.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/09/2013 3:46 pm

The above poster is correct. If you truly have oily skin then your oil glands are for whatever reason sensitive to androgens. The only thing that can significantly change that is accutane or birth control; believe me if they ever come up with something else I willl be the first one using it LOL.

MemberMember
(@kiat)

Posted : 08/09/2013 4:35 pm

The above poster is correct. If you truly have oily skin then your oil glands are for whatever reason sensitive to androgens. The only thing that can significantly change that is accutane or birth control; believe me if they ever come up with something else I willl be the first one using it LOL.

Doesn't B5 make you dry as well as Accutane? Once getting off Accutane, one day oil will be back, which is as same as B5, isn't it?

I'm weighing the danger between these 2 and can't decide.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/09/2013 5:40 pm

Yes it will dry you out, but I've spent days researching it and from what I've read about 60% of people report serious hair loss; sometimes permanent. I weighed the pros and cons awhile ago; and it wasn't worth it for me. Megadosingg on B5 is efffective, but carries almost as many risks as accutane.

Although if I had to pick one, I'd use B5. It is slightly less risky than accutane, and more people report a permanent oil reduction (I'd say about 30% of users) compared to accutane (about 15%)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/09/2013 6:21 pm

But the caveat is that if you use accutane; usually you can at least find a doctor to help if an issue arises. But with B5 megadosing, you won't have medical supervision since you are using a technique not recognized by the medical community; I mean you are essentially in uncharted territory with B5.

MemberMember
(@kiat)

Posted : 08/10/2013 1:55 pm

But the caveat is that if you use accutane; usually you can at least find a doctor to help if an issue arises. But with B5 megadosing, you won't have medical supervision since you are using a technique not recognized by the medical community; I mean you are essentially in uncharted territory with B5.

Thanks for your input.

I do wonder if low does of B5 or Pantethine can help reduce oil production? I am interested in just below 1.5 grams/day and would take L-Cysteine as well as they say it can reduce the hairloss rate. Let me make it more clear, I am not looking forward to having NO ACNE at all on my face. That would be what I hope for if I go for Accutane because when I was on it, I had 0 acne except whitehead on my nose.

First of all, Paula's Choice CLEAR line is doing its job and I am happy with it, but since there is new acne everyday, 1 or 2 small spots which lead to red mark later, I am unhappy about this because red mark makes me look like I have acne. And so I wish if I could reduce oil production, say 30% of what it is making today, I may have a few pimple once a week or even less than that. What do you think?

Anyone taking low does of B5 or pantethine? I have actually ordered both, one bottle each. I see that some take both in the same day.

Apart from using supplement and topical product, I have cut out bakery, coffee, greasy food and go for brown rice, fresh salad, juice, green tea, green apple and plenty of water.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/10/2013 2:50 pm

Anyone taking low does of B5 or pantethine? I have actually ordered both, one bottle each. I see that some take both in the same day.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/288705-how-i-cleared-my-acne-after-26-years-try-it/

The person in that thread uses low dose B5 with success.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/10/2013 9:09 pm

Anyone taking low does of B5 or pantethine? I have actually ordered both, one bottle each. I see that some take both in the same day

You may have ordered two bottles of the same ingredient.

Pantethine = Pantethenic acid = Vitamin B5

It's all the same thing. Pantethine is composed of two units of Pantethinc acid, and Vitamin B5 is the same active molecule just with a different name.

MemberMember
(@kiat)

Posted : 08/11/2013 3:23 am

Anyone taking low does of B5 or pantethine? I have actually ordered both, one bottle each. I see that some take both in the same day

You may have ordered two bottles of the same ingredient.

Pantethine = Pantethenic acid = Vitamin B5

It's all the same thing. Pantethine is composed of two units of Pantethinc acid, and Vitamin B5 is the same active molecule just with a different name.

Thanks but I read that Pantethine works one step faster and didn't need as many pills as B5. I will do more study before choosing which one to take or perhaps take both because there are people who take both of them.