Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I woke up this morning with an awful angry pimple on my forehead, i can feel it breweing beneath the surface and i think it might be pretty bad. its been taking every ounce of willpower i have not to pick at it or try to squeeze it.

the problem is that i have a really big day coming up on wednesday, and i really need for this thing to be gone. i've read about people going to the doctor and getting a cortisone shot. i really want to go get one but i dont know what to expect. can i get an appointment as quickly as tomorrow? do i call a derm or can a regular doctor do this? and is it expensive? also, will it really make it go down by wednesday never to return again? Please, any and all responses welcome!

me again,

no replies.. i dont think you understand.. this thing is HUGE! I know there has to be someone reading this who knows more about cortisone shots than I do.. please respond!

I don't know if regular doctors do it but a derm definetly will. Do you have one already? It might be harder if you don't but if you do call up his/her receptionist and ask for an appointment ASAP. They will try to fit you in wherever they can so be prepared to be working around their hours. Since its a last minute quickie, they have to put you wherever there is room. Usually you can get an appointment for the next day if you call early enough.

I think the pricing depends on where you live and what your doctor's office is like. Mine is $20 for an injection but I only pay $20 and I can get as many as I want for that one price which is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

I would definetly book an appointment right away to see a derm. Cortisone shots will make the appearance of the pimple decrease dramatically. The same day its almost 50% better and by the next day its almost entirely gone. Even if its not totally gone by the day you want it to be, it'll still look a million times better than if you had never gotten the shot.

thank you sooo much. i'm going to wake up early tomorrow morning and call every dermatologist in the area till i can get an appointment!! does it have to be a specific type of pimple for this to work? or will it generally fix anything? its so painful!!! i hope this works! eusa_pray.gif

I did a search for 'cortisone shot'. some people wrote that the cyst or whatever would go away but return a few weeks later! people also mentioned discoloration and indentations in their skin!

Is this true? is this something I should be worried about?

What are everyones experiences with cortisone shots? good or bad?

The shot will work for any kind of breakout but its generally only used for the severe ones because they are the ones that people freak out about the most and want gone right away. I've also read that a mark can be left behind after getting an injection but think about it; if you let it run its course it'll probably still leave something behind anyway. At least with this route, its gone much faster. I recently got an cortisone shot for TWO big bumps both next to each other. One is completely gone except for a faint red mark and the other one is still sorta there which is odd because its suppose to disappear. BUT it is a million times better than before I was injected.

went to the derm, got a shot of cortisone in my forehead and one in my cheek. forehead feeling much better already and i'm hopeful that it will be gone by wednesday. this thing on my cheek, however, is still painful and hard... dont know what it is! might even be a spider bite or something eek.gif . i wonder if cortisone shots will take down the swelling and pain of spider bites?

anyway, derm seemed to know what she was doing and dilluted the cortisone solution so as not to leave me with any divets in my face. feeling pretty good now!

Monday evening, got my shots this morning.

Forhead is doing SO much better, its flattened out completely and i just have a teeny little scab in the middle and a red mark around the sides.

How do you speed up redmarks? Neosporin?

Still got hard bump on cheek, not sure why cortisone didnt work on it.. not too bothered though seeming its on the side of my cheek and not in the middle of my forehead! haha.