Notifications
Clear all

Does This Look Like Hormonal Acne?

MemberMember
(@kekamarie)

Posted : 08/05/2013 8:37 am

I only get acne that is extremely hard to get rid of on these areas of my face. Anywhere else I get a small pimple and within a few days it is gone. If there are any tips on what I can do for this problem that would be great. I don't know if I should get testing done or if I should go see a gyno or what I should be doing. All I know is that I want to have a clear face just as I am sure everyone else on here wants.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 08/05/2013 8:39 am

That's the exact area where I break out and no where else on my face. Are you on the pill? I realized after many years that the pill was contributing to these breakouts. Yes, it's hormonal - I would get testing done and get on something like Spiro.

MemberMember
(@kekamarie)

Posted : 08/05/2013 8:42 am

I just recently got on birth control and it seemed to help. I am also using BP gel. But I figure if there is a more underlying problem then I should get that looked at. I have an appointment at the end of the month to get a pap smear. Should I wait until then to ask about getting testing done?

MemberMember
(@picnicker)

Posted : 08/05/2013 11:27 pm

birth control, while sometimes effective at reducing acne, has a lot of nasty side effects.

(hair loss, depression, and even sometimes worsened acne among them)

i recommend locating a naturopath -- they can help you figure out the hormonal imbalance, and then treat it accordingly

my imbalance swings towards the androgen side, and spearmint tea (an androgen reducer) really helps, for me,

along with other natural lifestyle and dietary changes.

hope you find what works for you xx

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/06/2013 12:02 am

yes,it does.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/06/2013 12:33 am

It might be hormonal, but if you are not getting it along the jawline as well then it could be from something like your toothpaste/ mouthwash. How often do you get it? If you get it twice during your cycle, then it must be hormonal. If you break out in that area all the time, then it could be something else like an allergy or sensitivity to something you are using near the mouth area.

MemberMember
(@kekamarie)

Posted : 08/06/2013 6:38 am

I probably got this around the time of my period about two months ago? I have a few other spots around that area that have just popped up but for the most part this acne just won't go away I have had these spots. They were small at first and then they grew. I'm at a loss of what to do my face looks awful, I feel awful. I hate going to work. I'm relieved every time I get to leave for the day. I just want it to go away as I know all of us do. I just feel completely at a loss of what to do.

MemberMember
(@auroraspain)

Posted : 08/06/2013 6:58 am

it might be hormonal but it also looks like they have an inflamation, try not to touch your chin at all and if you do it wash your hands first, otherwise you could make bigger the infection. I have hormonal acne and it is in the area of the jaw line and cheeks and I used to had the same inflamation and redness you have. The thing that has helped me a lot to reduce inflamation is taking Zinc and omega 3 oil (fish oil) and I also have started The Regimen. The improvement is not very fast but at least I am happy that my skin is not so red. I hope you find something that works for you :)

MemberMember
(@sumisee)

Posted : 08/06/2013 3:33 pm

I took ortho cyclen and it helped 90% of my acne. I had to come off of it though because it raised my iron levels to 30 points above normal and now like 8 months later, my iron levels are back to normal. this can happen because it doesn't let you have a real period. however, its great because its monophasic and when hormones change every week with the triphasic it can cause breakout for people like me that are sensitive to hormone fluctuations. stay on your bc pill for at least 6 months and add spironolactone 50mg a day and your skin will look great. I know from people who do this and their acne went away completely! But, you got to give both meds at least 6 months to see some sort of improvement. I trying very hard to be patient with spironolactone right now so we got to give it time! I feel your pain with the acne girl! I have been on spironolactone for 4 and a half months with still no improvement except less oil so its frustrating and when I went on Ortho-Cyclen, my skin only improved after 5 full months of hell. the 6th month, I wasn't even clear but better and then by the 8th month I was clear!

MemberMember
(@egsviola54)

Posted : 08/29/2013 11:23 pm

I have this problem too! Every other area of my face is responding better to The Regimen. I'm going to try changing my toothpaste.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/31/2013 12:10 am

Fluoride free toothpaste people! The original woman who posted that thread is a genius in my book... I have seen significant improvement since I changed my toothpaste, and that was only three days ago!

Tom's is the best brand. Contains no irritants whatsoever and leaves my teeth feeling just as clean :)

MemberMember
(@newtoacne)

Posted : 08/31/2013 2:47 am

I break out there with under the skin pimples but only 1 or 2 at a time.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/01/2013 3:11 am

The fact that it is strangely symmetrical may point to perioral dermatitis. Switching to a fluoride free, sulfate free, peppermint and wintergreen free, toothpaste and mouthwash can't hurt. But if that didn't clear you dramatically in a month, hormones probably.

MemberMember
(@marysciencegirl)

Posted : 09/02/2013 11:20 am

I have symmetrical acne on the sides of my mouth, worse on the side I sleep on most often. I also know for a fact that I drool in my sleep pretty much every night (so attractive). I just bought Tom's brand fluoride free toothpaste yesterday, so we'll see what happens!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 09/02/2013 12:23 pm

I have symmetrical acne on the sides of my mouth, worse on the side I sleep on most often. I also know for a fact that I drool in my sleep pretty much every night (so attractive). I just bought Tom's brand fluoride free toothpaste yesterday, so we'll see what happens!

This has made such a huge difference for me! And I mean instant, drastic results. Hope I'm not speaking too soon, but Fluoride containing toothpaste could be the cause of chin acne for many. Hope you get the same results I have!

MemberMember
(@marysciencegirl)

Posted : 09/02/2013 3:56 pm

This has made such a huge difference for me! And I mean instant, drastic results. Hope I'm not speaking too soon, but Fluoride containing toothpaste could be the cause of chin acne for many. Hope you get the same results I have!

Thanks girl! Its only been one night, but I feel like everything looked less irritated this morning. Might just be wishful thinking though, time will tell.