Notifications
Clear all

Smoking And Acne

MemberMember
(@stayinghopefull)

Posted : 06/27/2013 11:30 am

I posted a little while back saying I've pretty much cleared my acne through diet but am just left with scars and red marks. I would get the occasional NASTY cyst oompf.gif though which I thought were because of hormones or cheating very slightly on my diet.

I've been a smoker for about 5 years (cigarettes and weed) and just recently quit about three weeks ago. I'm not saying smoking causes acne, but I am saying it aggravates it for me. The past week, I've cheated on my diet by eating candy and dairy and have not had any of the ill effects I usually get. In fact I have not gotten one break out since I've quit surprised.gif .

I realized I never got cysts until about 5 years ago, right when I picked up smoking. I used to get whiteheads but never after picking up smoking. From then on, I would just get deep painful, LINGERING cysts. I don't think the cysts were a direct cause of the smoking, but I am positive that it HIGHLY aggravated it. I'm including smoking weed here too because for a couple years I only smoked weed and not cigarettes.

I know it this isn't true for everyone but it definitely is for me. In the last couple weeks, my skin has gone from very oily to actually normal and on the dry side. Also I read somewhere about how toxins in the lungs lead to cystic acne on the cheeks, which is the ONLY place I ever got cysts. This was extracted from Chinese face mapping, which doesn't sound like the most credible source, but oddly enough described my exact situation.

I've been on this site for years and want to help anyone in my situation. I eusa_pray.gif *used* to get really deep painful cysts on my cheeks that would scar and leave large blots of hyperpigmentation. Things that have helped me are cutting out dairy, sugar, and obviously smoking. I take 4,000 IU of vitamin D everyday and eat a lot of carrots (which really helps my skin 'glow'). Hope this helps!!!

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/27/2013 2:39 pm

Congrats on being mostly clear. The diet, vit D, and carrots sound great. Refer to on another smoking thread where I explained why smoking can potentially contribute to acne, especially cystic acne.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/27/2013 6:13 pm

Smoking increases the level of inflammation in the body. And it impairs the bodies ability to use many nutrients. Both of which would be bad for acne and everything else to do with your health.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/28/2013 12:33 am

Congrats on quitting that habit. It's tough so hang in there!

MemberMember
(@stayinghopefull)

Posted : 06/29/2013 8:53 pm

Thanks guys ya quitting is tough eusa_doh.gif. I've been really tempted the past week but I just keep thinking about getting a nasty cyst the next morning and I fight through it. Almost 4 weeks since my last smoke banana.gif !!

Hutchdan liked
MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/29/2013 9:17 pm

Keep on fighting it soon those urges will be over

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 07/02/2013 8:16 am

I smoked cigarettes and i suspect that gave me a lil acne. Now i've smoked weed quite a few times now and i'm not advocating smoking weed but it feels like that actually did quite a bit for my skin. I got the munchies like mad and i ate a load of stuff that i shouldn't which would usually give me acne..... but it didn't.

On several occasions infact.

Now i'm not sayin theres a definite link but....

I'm just puttin it out there...

Thanks guys ya quitting is tough eusa_doh.gif. I've been really tempted the past week but I just keep thinking about getting a nasty cyst the next morning and I fight through it. Almost 4 weeks since my last smoke banana.gif !!

forget what i said