Notifications
Clear all

Dental Health

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/20/2013 3:21 pm

Because the glycerine and toothpastes and flourinated water clearly aren't working. And flouride is a toxin that impairs your thyroid function and your pineal gland (circadian cycle) both of which affect your acne. And dental health affects your health.

The stuff below is from the top of my head because I can't find the data. But I will, and then edit. Because then what I want is a gathering of good practices that help your body function. Dry brushing, dental sticks and other alternatives, mineral tooth powders, alkalinizing habits (like chamomile tea at bedtime).

Your saliva contains the minerals to repair your teeth but today we do things that impair this ability.

Glycerine in toothpaste may coat teeth and prevent the minerals from getting to your teeth. Use a powder and or dry brush.

Acidic foods/mouth:

Acidic/acidifying foods erode enamel. Sugar is an acidifying 'food.'

Acidic environment increases the bacteria involved in tooth decay.

Biofilm/plaque

Dental plaque is the material that adheres to the teeth and consists of bacterial cells (mainly Streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus sanguinis), salivary polymers and bacterial extracellular products. Plaque is a biofilm on the surfaces of the teeth. This accumulation of microorganisms subject the teeth and gingival tissues to high concentrations of bacterial metabolites which results in dental disease.[29][39]

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/20/2013 4:28 pm

Aloe vera, stimulates dental pulp cell proliferation, differentiation, mineralization and dentin formation.

http://www.greenmedi...l-proliferation

Bacteria and bio film preventing properties of Peppermint:

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/article/peppermint-and-rosemary-extract-are-superior-chemical-chlorhexidine-preventing-dental

Article with links to studies on the many other benefits of peppermint and spearmint. It's also anti-androgen with studies on it's benefits for PCOS, hirsutism and prostrate cancer, relieves nausea and headache, stimulates brain - memory and cognitive function. And effective in many other serious health conditions.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/power-peppermint-15-health-benefits-revealed?utm_source=www.GreenMedInfo.com&utm_campaign=54f8333259-Greenmedinfo&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_193c8492fb-54f8333259-86969685

So, peppermint tea? Many bedtime tea blends involve chamomile and mint.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/20/2013 4:48 pm

So anyway, for years I had the worst habits and my teeth suffered from it.

I drank sodas all day, coating my teeth with sugar and acids. The Phosphoric acid is sodas depletes your bones of calcium as well.

I drank water and tea with lemon/lime, often a lot of lemon. I tend to have a drink all day and take water with me to bed. Often that water glass still had lemon/lime.

And of course used flouride toothpastes which clearly prevented nothing.

Oh, and no one ever told me that our enamel wasn't tough enough to chew ice. I used to love to eat the ice in my soda.

NOTE: Night time is the worst time for your teeth as your mouth gets dry. There's little saliva carrying minerals and fighting the bacteria and such. You need a good bed time routine.

Now:

I have a water pik like thing in my shower. Oral irrigator they call them. I use it nightly.

Then, dry brush at first, then add a mix of baking soda and mineral powders and sea salt. sometimes I add some xylitol. I had some dolomite powder as I thought that might be a good way to supplement magnesium, but it's too chalky, so I used it to brush teeth. And I have Aztec Healing clay powder which is calcium bentonite. I usually use the powder only at night and dry brush in the morning and any other time I might brush my teeth.

I'd read for years that studies find that dry brushing removes the most plaque, but it only recently dawned me to not bother buying toothpaste anymore.

Bedtime drink - Chamomile tea which is alkalizing. Maybe a blend with mint tea. I might put a little xylitol, which is also alkalizing, but I really, really don't like sweetened tea.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/20/2013 6:04 pm

DOn't forget oil pulling! My teeth would be all gone by now if I didn't do my daily oil pull. It saved me.

Oil pulling + non-glycerine tooth powder = your cavities will heal.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/24/2013 1:38 pm

Some important points found in the links I posted in the first thread:

1) The biofilm/plaque begins to reform right after you are done brushing it off.

2) It consists of both beneficial as well as harmful bacteria. But our diet habits today tend to cause an overgrowth in the harmful bacteria that produce the acids that cause tooth decay.

Just like with your sebum, and your intestinal and skin flora, what you need to do is work with it, not against it. Trying to kill everything isn't the answer.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 06/24/2013 3:12 pm

Wonderful information! Second on the oil pulling, it really does do wonderful things, and not just for your teeth. Also a good reminder to eat nutritious foods to aid in tooth remineralization.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/31/2013 12:48 pm

Stem cells in tooth root regenerate pulp to restore decayed teeth. And this is what they've been removing during root canals all these years.

Here's one article with references to the research: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/07/02/no-more-root-canals-scientists-aim-to-regrow-teeth-using-stem-cells/

Many alternative dentists have long disputed the wisdom of performing root canals. And I've had dentists disagree on the need for a root canal for the same tooth. (first dentist said I had two teeth that needed root canals. Didn't like her or her prices so I went to a second one that said one tooth need the root canal, the other only needed filling) And the oral surgeon I was sent to for the root canal asked why I needed it and called the dentist to discuss for a while before going ahead with it.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 07/31/2013 5:31 pm

Great thread!

What's oil pulling? I may want to try it.

I've never had many cavities, but I have severe dental erosion due to years of high diet coke consumption and poor nutrition in my childhood (:(). And also grinding my teeth in my sleep, which I still do and can't get rid of. I've been dreaming of reversing some of that damage by eating well, like this. I know the enamel is forever lost, but I'm hoping to get even some of my dentin back.

I've wanted to give up tooth paste for a while and just brush with water and floss, but I haven't had the guts. Maybe I'll try it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/02/2013 3:25 pm

Great thread!

What's oil pulling? I may want to try it.

I've never had many cavities, but I have severe dental erosion due to years of high diet coke consumption and poor nutrition in my childhood (sad.png). And also grinding my teeth in my sleep, which I still do and can't get rid of. I've been dreaming of reversing some of that damage by eating well, like this. I know the enamel is forever lost, but I'm hoping to get even some of my dentin back.

I've wanted to give up tooth paste for a while and just brush with water and floss, but I haven't had the guts. Maybe I'll try it.

Dry brush.Or get/make a powder. Oil pulling is basically swishing oil around in your mouth for quite a long time. It supposedly draws out toxins and does other things. You spit out the oil. I'd do it but I'm really put off by the part where you do it for 20 minutes. I think it would be hard to do for 5.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/06/2013 12:05 am

DOn't forget oil pulling! My teeth would be all gone by now if I didn't do my daily oil pull. It saved me.

What's the best way to do oil pulling? I read various methods online, not sure which one is the best.

Also, where do you get the tooth powder? I'm currently using baking soda, or just dry brushing and tea tree mouthwash.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 08/06/2013 4:19 pm

What's the best way to do oil pulling? I read various methods online, not sure which one is the best.

Also, where do you get the tooth powder? I'm currently using baking soda, or just dry brushing and tea tree mouthwash.

I use coconut oil and I swish for 15-20 minutes each morning. After a glass of water and BEFORE food. Very important. If you do it on a full stomach, you will vomit up all your food. Trust me--they warn against this and I didn't listen.

Eating an alkaline diet helps too. One of the kinda-sorta negatives of me healing from my eating disorder is that my teeth don't seem to heal as easy now that I'm eating a more typical diet (rice, beans, dairy etc). I'm still going to keep eating everything but up my intake of alkalinizing foods because that seemed to be when I had the quickest reduction of pain in my teeth. Lately I have multiple cavities aching on my right side again. sad.png But in my case, it's also because I grind my teeth down, which sucks. sad.png

Tooth powder: Dr. Christopher Herbal Tooth and Gum Powder. You can get it anywhere, but I got it here most recently and they shipped awesomely fast:

*Moderator edit, URL removed “ please undertake an internet search for product details*

It's the only thing that has ever worked for me. Baking soda tore up my enamel even worse and made my teeth horribly sensitive, but it may differ for you. If you try this stuff let me know what you think of it! <3

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 08/06/2013 6:24 pm

I'm going to try oil pulling with coconut oil, once I manage to buy some. :) I've had horrible experiences trying to take a tablespoon of coconut oil daily for health, and after about a week ending up being horribly sick each time afterwards. Never again. I hope this doesn't have the same effect. I'll definitely do it only on an empty stomach.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/07/2013 9:58 am

I mix baking soda, sea salt, and a calcium powder like the Aztec healing clay. And I usually only use it at night and dry brush in the morning. Also, drink chamomile mint tea at bedtime for its alkalinizing effect.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/07/2013 10:13 am

I really want to try oil-pulling because a few years back I had a plague off consecutive cavities that I had filled and they really ruin how I feel about my teeth. So I want to prevent future cavities as much as possible!

As for brushing I do admittedly use a fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash (as recommended by my orthodontist). I have tried baking soda in the past, whilst it did help polish my teeth, it caused my gums to bleed/tear and I broke out in tons of white spots around my lip-line. If I were to try powdered toothpaste, it would have to be one as natural as possible, without baking soda.

Is coconut oil the best oil for 'pulling'? I can see why since it will probably taste a little more pleasant than other oils and it's white. I've heard oils like olive oil leave a yellow film on your teeth.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/07/2013 10:58 pm

What do you think about peppermint and xylitol in toothpastes??? I've read controversial things about it, and it's even listed as an ingredient to avoid for sensitive individuals. I bought a fluoride-free toothpaste a few months ago with xylitol and peppermint/wintermint, and at the time I was also chewing peppermint/spearmint & xylitol gum and I had breakouts on my chin that looked like weird red bumps. When I stopped that toothpaste and the gum, they went away but I'm not sure if it was the mint or the xylitol.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/19/2013 2:43 pm

Turmeric contains approximately 3-4% curcumin by dry weight. This yellow pigmented polyphenol has been studied extensively in human clinical research as a natural alternative to the common mouthwash ingredient known as chlorhexidine for the treatment of gingivitis, "inflammation of the gum tissue."

Gingivitis is classified as a non-destructive periodontal disease,[6] and involves bacterial plaque-induced inflammation, but if left untreated, it can progress to a form of periodontal disease that can be highly destructive. Some of the most common symptoms associated with gingivitis are bad breath (halitosis), and bleeding, bright, tender or swollen gums.

Turmeric Mouthwash Shown Superior to Chlorexidine

In 2012, a study published in the Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology compared the efficacy of a .1% curcumin extract mouthwash + .01% eugenol (Group A) to a more strongly concentrated .2% chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash (Group B), ....

On comparison between chlorhexidine and turmeric mouthwash, percentage reduction of the Plaque Index between 0 and 21 st day were 64.207 and 69.072, respectively (P=0.112), percentage reduction of Gingival Index between 0 and 21st day were 61.150 and 62.545 respectively

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/turmeric-superior-chemical-mouthwash-improving-oral-health-0?utm_source=www.GreenMedInfo.com&utm_campaign=fe20631026-Greenmedinfo&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_193c8492fb-fe20631026-86969685

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/19/2013 3:32 pm

A day or so ago, I came accross an article on the benefits of greens on dental health and getting your calcium from greens. It made me wonder if it isn't better to get your greens by chewing them yourself rather than letting your blender do it. Can't find the article now that I want to check it out. I'm sure it was a greenmedinfo.com article and it was anti-flouride or a link from an anti-flouride article.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 11/24/2013 5:13 pm

I just want to add that the human oral microbiome has essentially permanently changed from our evolved microbiome, so we are somewhat dependent on outside items for upkeep. It happened at first at the beginning of agriculture, and then more finally in the middle ages. There's a good paper on it somewhere.