Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin A Regimen And Questions?

MemberMember
(@dwolfe)

Posted : 05/25/2013 3:34 pm

Okay, well I'm an 18 year old male. I started getting acne around 13, and since my mother had never had it, she had no experience, and loaded me down with products that basically dried my skin out horribly. I was constantly smearing on spot treatments, and trying to get rid of it ASAP. Well, I soon realized that I was causing way more damage than anything, and my face burning and cracking all the time sucked too. I now just use water, and my face is basically clear, besides random breakouts, a ruddy color, and large pores on my nose. I'm praying that these will close up eventually, but years of drying products have cause my nose especially, to get extremely oily. I blot it, but I decided to try something internal. So I started taking 400 IU of Vitamin E, 25,000 IU of vitamin A, and one tablet of Bio Zinc a day. Those are all the recommended daily dosages on the bottles FYI. Well after 6 weeks, I've bumped up the vitamin A to 50,000 IU a day. My nose still produces way too much oil, so I'm hoping it'll start working soon. One question I have is, recently, my body and neck have started getting acne, whereas that rarely happened before. Could any of those three supplements possibly be the cause? And how long should it take for the vitamin A to kick in and my oil to decrease?

Also, if you guys have any tips or comments on which supplements work best, or what dosages, I'd really appreciate it. I just want smaller pores on my nose, and maybe my redness to go away. I'm pretty sure both are a result of that damage I did to my face in my early teens. My skin is sensitive already, and heaps of drying products just ruined it.

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 05/26/2013 6:11 am

I think its the Vitamin E or Zinc...many people break out from Vitamin E.

Zinc broke me out I took 25mg-50mg a day.

You should cut them out and see if your breakout goes away.

Try Vitamin D it helps reducing large pores I take 5000-7000IU a day

with Vitamin a 5000IU and Vitamin c.

What kind of Vitamin A supplements are u taking?

MemberMember
(@dwolfe)

Posted : 05/26/2013 8:32 am

Okay, I will definitely cut out those! I bought vitamin D-3 from the same alternative health food store, but it's only 400 IU per pill, and I did not want to take like 10 of them a day.

All my pills are from the brand Solaray, and my Vitamin A is called Dry A. Don't know if that helps, but if you could recommend a different brand of D that contains more IU, that would be very helpful.

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 05/26/2013 9:30 am

Careful with megadosing, vitamin a toxicity has a lot of the same side effects as accutane.

MemberMember
(@dwolfe)

Posted : 05/26/2013 12:33 pm

Yeah, I'm trying to be as careful as possible. 50k IU is the most I'll take, which, if I'm correct isn't a crazy amount, but I'm still going to see if I start experiencing any side effects.

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 05/26/2013 3:59 pm

Okay, I will definitely cut out those! I bought vitamin D-3 from the same alternative health food store, but it's only 400 IU per pill, and I did not want to take like 10 of them a day.

All my pills are from the brand Solaray, and my Vitamin A is called Dry A. Don't know if that helps, but if you could recommend a different brand of D that contains more IU, that would be very helpful.

Like Dave said be careful with Vitamin a 50,000IU is a bit too much in my opinion.

The Vitamin d I take is called Vitality it has 5000IU

MemberMember
(@dwolfe)

Posted : 05/26/2013 5:32 pm

Alright, thank you!

Do you buy it anywhere specific?

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 05/26/2013 10:09 pm

Yeah, I'm trying to be as careful as possible. 50k IU is the most I'll take, which, if I'm correct isn't a crazy amount, but I'm still going to see if I start experiencing any side effects.

50k is still potentially dangerous.

I'd start with > 10k, which is still pushing it, and see what happens. Problem with vitamin a toxicity is when you start experiencing bad side effects, even if you stop, you don't just piss all of it out the next day and poof, all your side effects disappear. It stays in your system for a while. .

MemberMember
(@dwolfe)

Posted : 05/27/2013 7:27 am

Well I think what I'm taking must be a bit different, because its daily amount is 25k IU. Which is one pill. Know what I'm saying? Like why is it so high for one pill if that's the "daily intake" on the bottle?

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 05/27/2013 9:29 am

On 5/27/2013 at 4:32 AM, Dwolfe said:

Alright, thank you!

Do you buy it anywhere specific?

Welcome:)...[Removed]

MemberMember
(@dwolfe)

Posted : 05/27/2013 9:30 am

Thank you! I'll check into that, and I'll cut back on my vitamin A intake.

Appreciate all the feedback guys (:

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 05/28/2013 8:13 pm

Well I think what I'm taking must be a bit different, because its daily amount is 25k IU. Which is one pill. Know what I'm saying? Like why is it so high for one pill if that's the "daily intake" on the bottle?

The upper limit intake is 10,000 iu, that doesn't mean you should take 10,000, just you should avoid going over that limit.