Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello all...I'm new to the board, but came across Dan's regimen last year. My problem is nose acne. I've always had a problem with acne on my nose since about the age of 14. The rest of my face has always been pretty clear. The acne would always be these blood and pus filled pimples (I don't even know if pimple is the right term here). They were relatively soft pimples and about 4-5 mm in size. At most there would be like 2 on my nose, so it wasn't like my entire nose was covered. I went to see a dermatologist, but that didn't help so I went to see my general physician. He put me on Benzamycin, which really helped. I've been using that for the past 4-5 years. Every once in a while I would get a pimple on my nose, but it was not a big deal. Now, the Benzamycin doesn't seem very effective anymore, so I've been using just Neutrogena On-the-Spot BP.

Fast forward to this past month...I'm now a 19 year old sophomore in college. All of a suddenly I've been getting these nose outbreaks again. I had 2 pimples form on the left side of my nose, but they both went away relatively quickly and problem free. Last Monday, I felt another one forming quickly right in the center of my nose. The head of the pimple was really white and soft, and popped while I was in the shower. The usual pus and blood came out. I cleaned it up and applied BP to it, thinking it would heal up. Now I'm left with this really red pimple about 4mm in size. It's really soft and sensitive, and you can tell that its just filled with loads of blood. It doesn't hurt at all when I press on it. I've had it since last Friday, and really want to pop it. It hasn't really gone down in size at all. I've been cleaning it very cautiously and applying BP to it morning and night. It's very embarrassing! What should I do?!?

Sorry for the extremely long first post, but I desparately need some advice!

I think your skin has got some bacteria that have developed a resistance to the antibiotic in the Benzamycin. It has happened to me too. Go to a good derm, and work out a new treatment regime. Don't pick at your current breakout, let him or her lance it.Bacteria develop resistance to antibiotics eventually. I went the mandelic acid route because some of the non antibiotic alternatives such as retinoids were either too strong or not strong enough for my skin. You and your derm should work as a team to get you back on a successful program. Let us know how you are doing.

I think your skin has got some bacteria that have developed a resistance to the antibiotic in the Benzamycin. It has happened to me too. Go to a good derm, and work out a new treatment regime. Don't pick at your current breakout, let him or her lance it.Bacteria develop resistance to antibiotics eventually. I went the mandelic acid route because some of the non antibiotic alternatives such as retinoids were either too strong or not strong enough for my skin. You and your derm should work as a team to get you back on a successful program. Let us know how you are doing.

Stronger BP might irritate your skin too much. I would go to your student health center, and see if they have some samples of RetinA micro. It will help exfoliate that skin. Your student health center might be able to write you a prescription for minocycline, an oral antibiotic for skin. That will work for a while, but you probably will at some point get into the same resistance issue with the mino., but in the short run should help out the breakouts.Also, if you do get the RetinA micro, it takes some time to work, and daily sunscreen is a must.