Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am starting this log to document my progress on a vitamin B5 regimen. First, a little history: I began having problems with acne about age 22. I never had any skin problems prior. I just turned 27 two days ago. I also live in South Florida, which is very hot and humid, and may have something to do with my problem. Initially I thought I was just going through a phase, but I have come to accept that I am genetically prone to acne. I have unsuccessfully tried everything there is (besides Accutane), from antiboitic pills to various cremes, Tazorac, Retin-A, just about evey OTC topical - you name it. I would have tried Accutane, too, if I could get my insuance to cover it. I have been reading up on Vitamin B5's benfits for acne-prone skin, so I thought I would give it a try. Recently, I even decided to grow a beard. I had thought that perhaps my acne was due to shaving irritation, since most of it is in my beard region. Unfortunately, I continued to have breakouts beneath my beard. Two days ago I shaved it off after wearing it for several months. I have been using a line of skincare products the past couple weeks which seems to be helping a bit. The line is called Anthony Logistics. It is an upscale skincar eline designed specifically for men. Currently I am using their clenser for acen skin, whcih contains 2% salicylic acid, and a night-time acne lotion which also contains 2% salicylic acid. OK, so I just started B5 today. Everything I read says that in orde for the B5 to be effective, you must take a minimum of 10 grams daily spaced over 4 equal intervals. I read, however, that for the first 3 days you should ramp up by taking 5 grams daily for 3 days, and then taking 10 grams for a couple months until the skin is totally clear. I also am taking a 1,000 mcg biotin pill with each dose of B5 (4 doses daily), and one B Complex pill daily.

So today, I took 4 evenly spaced doses consisting of 1.5 grams B5, 1,000 mcg biotin, and 1 B-Complex pill each. So far so good. I'll keep ya posted.

Day 2

Sill taking 6 grams per day, spaced out over 4 intervals. I'm taking 1.5 grams B5 and 1000 mcg Bition with each of 4 daily doses. Also, I am taking 1 B-Complex pill daily, in th emiddile of the day.

Results:

So far, I haven't npticed too much of a difference; however, I have not had any new pimles start to form, and th existing ones look like they are clearing up. I guess that is an improvement, since for the last 5 years every day I have a new crop of pimples forming. I think my skin feels a slight tad less oily, but marginally so. That's it. Today will be day 3 on 6 grams. Tomorrow I will ramp up to 10 grams per day.

Later.

Day 4

Yesterday was day 3 taking 6grams. I will be ramping up to 10 grams today. Since I am writing this at 6:15 in the morning, I will report on yesterday. So far, no side effects. I had a bit of gas last night, but that is not too far out of the ordinary. I played cards with some buddies, and I was letting farts rip like it was my job. Aside from that, I feel great. Skin tone is getting better by the day. No new pimples seem to be forming. There were a couple tha were under the skin from a couple weeks ago that are making their way to the surface, however they seem to be smaller and less inflamed than normal.I am still washing with Anthony Logistics acne cleanser and applying their nighttime acne gel at night before bed. I shave eveyother day (to minimize irritation) and after shaving, I apply Anthony Logistics Oil-Free moisturizer.

That's the deal. Today starts 10 grams per day. I'm hoping to see some signifcant improvements over this coming week. Wish me luck.

Peace!

Day 4

Yesterday was day 3 taking 6grams.  I will be ramping up to 10 grams today.  Since I am writing this at 6:15 in the morning, I will report on yesterday.  So far, no side effects.  I had a bit of gas last night, but that is not too far out of the ordinary.  I played cards with some buddies, and I was letting farts rip like it was my job.  Aside from that, I feel great.  Skin tone is getting better by the day.  No new pimples seem to be forming.  There were a couple tha were under the skin from a couple weeks ago that are making their way to the surface, however they seem to be smaller and less inflamed than normal.I am still washing with Anthony Logistics acne cleanser and applying their nighttime acne gel at night before bed.  I shave eveyother day (to minimize irritation) and after shaving, I apply Anthony Logistics Oil-Free moisturizer.

That's the deal.  Today starts 10 grams per day.  I'm hoping to see some signifcant improvements over this coming week.  Wish me luck.

Peace!

Day 5

Yesterday was my first day on 10 grams of B5 (20 pills). So far, I haven't had any of the side effects people talk about, i.e. upset stomach, cramps, diahrea. Actually, I did have a lot of gas, though. I was dropping farts all night. If that's the worst of it, big deal. My skin seems to be continuing to improve. Red amrks from old breakouts are clearing, anda couple of pimples that I had under the skin (from before I started) are coming to the surface. Besides that, I don't feel like any NEW pimples had formed. My skin does feel a bit less oily.

That it for now. Later.

hey, i took b5 for about 6 months, at 10g a day...it works wonders...but here in the UK its £9 for 100 500mg tablets, so spalshing out £9 every 5 days jst got way too expensive for me..it sucks sad.gif now im on doxy. good luck man

Day 6

So far, so good. I am very pleased with the program. No side effects, ewither, except for a little gas. No big deal, though, becuase I still find farts to be funny.

Hasta

hey, i took b5 for about 6 months, at 10g a day...it works wonders...but here in the UK its £9 for 100 500mg tablets, so spalshing out £9 every 5 days jst got way too expensive for me..it sucks sad.gif  now im on doxy.  good luck man

End of Day 6

I have a few pimples that are coming to the surface. I guess these are old ones from before I started the B5. aPerhaps this is that "initial breakout" everybody talks about. It's not bad, just 4-5 pimples. They are not very inflamed, but I can feel them when I wash my face. Hopefully no new ones form and this is the beginning of the end. I guess perhaps I am getting anxious. It has only been 6 days (and the first 3 were only 6 grams of B5 per day). I can't wait until my skin clears.

My skin texture is definitely improving, though. What I mean is that it feels different. I just shaved 5 minutes ago, and the razor seemed to glide easily across my face. It is usually a less pleasant experience for me to shave.

No side effects, still. Some of other people's comments regarding B5 complained of upset stomach and diahreah. The only side effect I have is gas. Not the painful kind of gas that feels like cramps (thank God), just farts. I might add the farts are pretty smelly. I can deal with that, though.

That's all I have to report.

Speaking of farts, here's a little joke:

"Why do farts smell?"

"So deaf people can enjoy them, too."

Later.

Day 7

Well, some pimples have come to the surface. Right now I have one decent pimples on each of my temples, one on my sideburn, one on my left cheek, one on my left jaw, one on my right sideburn, and two on right right cheek. So total, I have 7-8 active pimples. They are small, however, and healing very fast. I beleive that these are from before I strarted the B5 treatment. Skin texture is the same.

I am still usising Anthony Logistics Acne Cleanser w/ Salicylic acid moringin and night. Using Anthony Logistics Night-time Acne gel at night. I use Anthony Logistics Acne scrub w/BP a couple days a week before shaving. And after moring shower, I apply Anthnoy Logistics Oil-Free Moisture lotion.

It has been one week since I strated on B5., but it has only been 4 days since I have been on 10 gram per day dose. I haven't noticed a drastic improvement. Things seem to be getting a little better, though.

Yesterday, i took my third dose pretty late in the day (about 6:30pm) and my fourth dose at about 9:30. Normally I take the third dose at about 4:00 and the fourth at around 8:30.

Today I am psyched becuase I am going to the eye doctor to get evaluated for LASIK. Until next time.

Peace.

Day 8

Same as yesterday, basically. I was shaving last nihgt, and I nicked one the pimles on my cheek, so it is redder than usual. Besides that, no change. I hope I see some signifacnt improvement over the next week. I have haivng LASIK surgery today.

Until tomorrow.

Day 9

Same as yesterday. The gas is gone now. With respect to side effects, I have none. My body feels great. My skin is about the same as yesterday. Old pimples are clearing. Teh nick from shaving yesterday is clearing, too.

I had LASIK yesterday (laser eye surgery). Unbeleivable! I woke up this morning with clear vision. The surgery took about 10 minutes in total (five minute per eye). I could see immediatley after, but they put you in a dark room with dark sunglasses on and tell you to close your eyes. The whole ride home I sat in the car with my eyes closed. When I got home my eyes were hurting a bit and I went to sleep. When I woke up this morning, my eyes felt great and I can see perfectly.

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!! I highly recommend it to all who can justify the cost. No more glasses or contacts. Woo-hooooo!

Later.

End of Day 9

My dad remarked to me today that my complexion was looking great, so I guess it is starting to work. I just shaved about ten minutes ago, and I got a nice smooth shave. The pimples I had a few days ago are clearing up nicely, and the nick from shaving 2 days ago is healing as well. Overall, my skin feels a little less oily. I put a moisturizer on after I shower in the morning, so that might make me think that my skin is more oily than it really is. I think if I were to leave the moisturizer off, my skin would not be oily at all, but I will continue to use it since I hear that it is better for the skin t use moisturizer daily. I can't believe that it has not even been two weeks. Hopefully after a month I will be looking like the old me (from 5 years ago, before acne).

Until tomorrow.

Peace.

Day 10

Old pimples are clearing up, but I do have a couple new ones forming. I'm a little surprised, actually. Fortunately, they are not so bad. One is just above my lip, little whitehead. Hopefully it will just push out and clear up soon. It will probably be the kind that is easily popped, but I don't pop pimples anymore, so I will have to grin and bear it. I also feel another one brewing on my left cheek, but it is in the early stage. All together, I only have about 7 pimples on my whole face, most of which are fading into non existance. Sometimes I think about increasing the dosage, but i am just going to wait it out. After all, I have only been taking B5 for 10 days, 3 of which were on 5 grams. So really, It has been one week and 1 day since I started on 10 grams. I guess my progress is where it is supposed to be. I don't know if anybody is reading this, but if anybody has any input, I would love to hear from you.

Later.

Day 11

Well, I popped the pimple on my lip. I wasn't going to do it, but it was a bit whitehead, just asking for it. Anyway, it is actually looking pretty good now, clearing up nicely. I have one on each of my cheeks that are both surfacing. The rest are clearing up. Overall, evertyhing is pretty much the same. I haven't noticed a huge decrease in oil production or pimples, but my skin texture seems to be looking good. That's all I have to report.

I just shaved and got a real nice, smooth shave. My skin tone and texture is definitely improving. I still have a couple of pimples, but the seem to heal quickly. They come to the surface with a small whitehead, and then clear up. The nice thing is that they are not big red ones like I used to get.

Hey, don't expect it to work miracles in the first 3 weeks. It took a month and a half for it to completely clear me up.

And now because of stupid mail problems I havent had any in 20 days and I'm starting to break out again. doubt.gif What pisses me off is when I finally get more of it I'll have to go through the 3-4 week period until it starts working again, by which point I'll be left with all new red marks and scars that will take 8 months to disappear eusa_doh.gif

Don't use it for 20 days and suffer for almost a year...

Day 15

Things are about the same. I shave last night, and I had a couple of pimples surfacing near my jawline. They are small and seem to heal quickly, but I had my opes up that the ones I had last week were the last ones. I guess I am just anxious and overly optimistic.

STEEPLE, thanks for the reply. I am glad to hear that you were completely cleard in 1.5 months. Sorry that you had to go through missing a couple weeks. I have been ordering from a great website called allstarhealth.com. Their prices are good and they ship to my house within 3 days. You might want to check then out. Hey, how much water do you drink per day? I try to drink a lot, but I could probably be drinkng more? Also, what is your shaving routine? Do you shave everday, or every other day. Do you use and kind of after shave or any topical?

Thanks for your input.

STEEPLE, thanks for the reply.  I am glad to hear that you were completely cleard in 1.5 months.  Sorry that you had to go through missing a couple weeks.  I have been ordering from a great website called allstarhealth.com.  Their prices are good and they ship to my house within 3 days.  You might want to check then out.  Hey, how much water do you drink per day?  I try to drink a lot, but I could probably be drinkng more?  Also, what is your shaving routine?  Do you shave everday, or every other day.  Do you use and kind of after shave or any topical?

Steeple

You are using BP with B5? I thought that that was too trying. I read a post that said not to use any other topicals, or cleanser with salicylic acid because it will aggravate you skin and make the oil glands produce more oil, thus counteracting the B5. I don't know whether to believe this or not. I am stillusing my Anthony Logistics Acne Clenaser (which contains sal. acid) and a nighttime acne gel (also w/ sal. acid). I hope that it doesn't effect the B5. I have noticed improvement in my skin. I don't know if it is from the B5, the cleanser, or both. My guess is that it is a combo of both, but it is probably primarily from the B5. Yesterday and today I noticed that I had a couple more blemishes than I did 4-5 days ago. I wonder if it is becuase I haven't been drinking enough water throughout the day. I am going to pound water whenever I can and see if that helps.

Steeple, how long have you been on B5, and what is your current dosage and dosage history?

Day 17

Nothing new to report. My skin conditon is about the same as it was yesterday. I am still trying to drink water alll the time. In fact, I am forcing myslef to drink as much as I can. I have a really wierd pimple/cyst on the top of my head. It hurts a little. The good thing is that it is under my hair, so nobody can see if. But I felt it yesterday while washing my hair in the shower. OK. That's it.

Later.

Day 19

I forgot to post yesterday. OK, last night I went to a party and drank a lot, and I didn't go to sleep until 3:00 am. I also forgot to wash my face before sleep, and I didn't use my nighttime acne gel. Miraculously, my skin looks pretty good. Actually, it looks really good. I wonder if it is just a coincidence, or if the salicylic acid in the cleanser and gel make my skin worse. I've have read posts by others who have been using B5, and a couple people have said that it is better not to use and products with salicylic acid while on B5 because the acid causes the skin to produce more oil. If anybody is reading this post and can shed some light on the subject from their own experience, I would appreciate it.

So anyway, my skin is far from perfect, yet it is the first time in a long time that I am not embarrassed to show my face. I guess that is an improvment. I am into my third week of treatment, so I am hoping that this week shows some more significant improvements.

To recap, I am still taking 10 grams of B5 daily, split into four doses of 5 grams. With each dose of B5, am taking one 1,000 mcg biotin pill, and am I also taking one pill of B Complex, usually with my second dose of B5.

If anybody is reading this, please drop a reply and let me know. Just curious to see how many people (beside myself) are actually reading this.

Peace.

Glad your doing well....i `m also taking b5 and am about 2 weeks ahead of you. I`m also doing very well. The breakout wasn`t too bad and now i dont think i have any acne left, just a few red marks....GET IN! All i use on my skin is a cleanser and moisturiser and savlon(skin healing cream) if i get a zit....

Anyhow, hope your progress continues....keep up the posts!

Glad your doing well....i `m also taking b5 and am about 2 weeks ahead of you.  I`m also doing very well.  The breakout wasn`t too bad and now i dont think i have any acne left, just a few red marks....GET IN!  All i use on my skin is a cleanser  and moisturiser and savlon(skin healing cream) if i get a zit....

Anyhow, hope your progress continues....keep up the posts!