Notifications
Clear all

Low Dose Vitamin A?

MemberMember
(@mike06)

Posted : 04/27/2013 11:43 pm

In the past, I have had great success with fermented cod liver oil in helping my acne. 1 tsp a day basically took all of the oil out of my skin, stopped breakouts, and gave me no side effects at all. The problem is the stuff that I was using costs a fortune and I just can not afford it anymore unfortunately.

The blend that I was taking apparently had the correct ratios of Vitamin A, Vitamin D, and Vitamin K2 which enhance the safety I have read. I have purchased 5,000 IU pills of Vitamin D as well as Vitamin K2. I am considering purchasing Vitamin A to go along with it to try and recreate the cod liver oil. I am reading a lot about people supplementing Vitamin A and it seems dangerous. Many of the people were taken very high doses though.

Does anyone have experience with taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin A a day and know if this is dangerous? The brand lists the ingredient like this: Vitamin A (as retinyl palmitate) 5000 IU.

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 04/28/2013 7:52 am

Hi,

I've been taking Vitamin a (retinyl palmitate) since the 9th of april

I started off with taking 5000iu am now (since two weeks) taking 10000iu.

The oil production on my face has gotten about 50% better.

I'm also taking 10000iu vitamin d.

I havent noticed any side effects I got a check up last week and everything was fine.

Does Vitamin k2 reduces oil production?

MemberMember
(@mike06)

Posted : 04/28/2013 12:04 pm

Hi,

I havent noticed any side effects I got a check up last week and everything was fine.

I am not sure if the k2 reduces oil production but I have read that it is important to get enough of it to keep a balance.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/26/the-delicate-dance-between-vitamins-d-and-k.aspx

"But there is new evidence that it is the vitamin K (specifically, vitamin K2) that directs the calcium to your skeleton, while preventing it from being deposited where you don't want it -- i.e., your organs, joint spaces, and arteries. A large part of arterial plaque consists of calcium deposits (atherosclerosis), hence the term "hardening of the arteries."

Vitamin K2 activates a protein hormone called osteocalcin, produced by osteoblasts, which is needed to bind calcium into the matrix of your bone. Osteocalcin also appears to help prevent calcium from depositing into your arteries.

You can think of vitamin D as the gatekeeper, controlling who gets in, and vitamin K as the traffic cop, directing the traffic to where it needs to go.

Lots of traffic -- but no traffic cop -- means clogging, crowding and chaos everywhere!

In other words, without the help of vitamin K2, the calcium that your vitamin D so effectively lets in might be working AGAINST you -- by building up your coronary arteries rather than your bones.

There is even evidence that the safety of vitamin D is dependent on vitamin K, and that vitamin D toxicity (although very rare with the D3 form) is actually caused by vitamin K2 deficiency."

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/28/2013 3:24 pm

Hi,

I am not sure if the k2 reduces oil production but I have read that it is important to get enough of it to keep a balance.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/26/the-delicate-dance-between-vitamins-d-and-k.aspx

"But there is new evidence that it is the vitamin K (specifically, vitamin K2) that directs the calcium to your skeleton, while preventing it from being deposited where you don't want it -- i.e., your organs, joint spaces, and arteries. A large part of arterial plaque consists of calcium deposits (atherosclerosis), hence the term "hardening of the arteries."

Vitamin K2 activates a protein hormone called osteocalcin, produced by osteoblasts, which is needed to bind calcium into the matrix of your bone. Osteocalcin also appears to help prevent calcium from depositing into your arteries.

You can think of vitamin D as the gatekeeper, controlling who gets in, and vitamin K as the traffic cop, directing the traffic to where it needs to go.

Lots of traffic -- but no traffic cop -- means clogging, crowding and chaos everywhere!

In other words, without the help of vitamin K2, the calcium that your vitamin D so effectively lets in might be working AGAINST you -- by building up your coronary arteries rather than your bones.

There is even evidence that the safety of vitamin D is dependent on vitamin K, and that vitamin D toxicity (although very rare with the D3 form) is actually caused by vitamin K2 deficiency."

That is an excellent example of how bad our healthcare industry has become. Because not only have they been telling eldrely people to take calcium, while ignoring the other nutrients needed for bone, they tell them to avoid foods high in vitamin K, even though that means avoiding some of the most beneficial, nutrient dense foods.