Notifications
Clear all

Emotional Scarring And Physical

MemberMember
(@curbenthusiam89)

Posted : 04/25/2013 2:55 am

Hey Everyone,

New to this site. But I just found out about website. I know whatever I'll say will be just a cliche of things, but please help it would really mean a lot. I've tried literally about every kind of cream there is. I've grown tired of it. The chemicals are just too harsh on my skin, which also caused discoloration in my skin. I went the natural way, which helped somewhat. As well as trying to forget I have it. I know from my profile picture it doesn't seem like I have a lot but that was taken in October of last year. I really just want to have my face clear. I want to live the life I want. I hate thinking to myself that I will never be successful anything, because of my Acne that causes me to be anti social and disconnected from the world. I've been single for 2 years now, and ever since my acne has been worse. I want to be with a girl who doesn't care what's on the outside. But those are impossible to find. I want to start my career in filmmaking but I can't because of the depression I have form Acne. Please help any advice would help. I just needed to get this out. It does make me feel a little better.

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 04/25/2013 3:15 am

Hey man, I totally understand where you're coming from. It's a constant struggle. In terms of treatment, I don't think there's one miracle cure out there, but different treatments can work better for different people. You kinda just have to keep hunting around until you find something that works for you personally (I'm on antibiotics and topical epiduo, but I still get breakouts) Acne can make you feel really isolated from the world, so you kinda have to just push yourself to try and face the general public (I know how hard it can be) and just try and put the skin issues into the back of your mind and enjoy life as much as you can. In terms of the girl issue, I sympathize with you completely. I've been single for three years, and I have yet to find a girl who will understand my situation. Girls look for confidence in guys...you hear that advice everywhere from people, and it's so hard to try and fake confidence when you dealing with a debilitating condition like this that makes you feel like shit about your appearance. I know it seems impossible to find girls that will like you despite what your skin looks line...I haven't found one yet, but we gotta stay strong and keep looking. Everyone deserves to have a relationship...someone you can confide in and draw strength from...and there are girls like that in the world that will see beyond your skin. They're hard to find though, but never give up the fight...pursue all your dreams even though it's hard, because it'll be worth it in the end.

Best wishes, man.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/25/2013 5:05 am

Try seeing a dermontologist, give him/ her your history. By all means stay away from accutane, the results aren't even guarenteed, and your putting your body at high risk. All the best!

MemberMember
(@fotoguy)

Posted : 04/29/2013 1:05 pm

I've been in your shoes and feel your pain. I'm 43 years old and started Accutane 4 months ago. I had cystic acne on the back and sides of my neck as well as on my back and chest. I'm clearing up nicely now and the side effects are manageable. Like you, I avoided the world and even passed up job opportunities due to acne and having to face the general public. This disease can be debilitating if you let it. Don;t wait for as long as I did to get the right treatment. Going to see a derm is your first line in getting the help you need. I've tried every OTC cream and numerous Rx antibiotics. None really worked - they only made things a little better. Today I am starting my 4th month on accutane and the bumps on my neck are completely gone and my back is 75% clear. There is hope - don;t let the media and accutane horror stories scare you. You can always stop taking the med if you experience any god-awful side effects. So, yeah, hang in there and go see a doc asap. You won;t regret it. Lastly, with the exception of short-term flings, I've been single for damn near 10 years. We all know the nice warm fuzzy feelings of beig in love and some times it sucks to not have that. One the other hand, I can do what I want, when I want, with whomever i want. Period!

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 04/29/2013 1:12 pm

You look like a really good looking guy from your pic.

There's a lot of talk in the "how you feeling about your acne" thread about relationships right now. But in general, I wouldn't worry about a relationship and instead focus as much energy as you can into your career. That was what I mostly did during the time my acne and mental health was at its worst. Like me, you're pursuing a career that requires a lot of energy, creativity and passion, and all that can be great distractions from having acne. Plus, as a filmmaker you can have acne or be 10000 pounds or whatever, and people will still like and respect you for your art. If you do cool, creative things people will like you regardless of how you look, ESPECIALLY as a guy. Seriously, there are a lot of not-very-hot filmmakers, directors, producers etc who are married to some hot models and actresses and that's because they have confidence in themselves career-wise. So that's where you should put your focus.

What are you plans as far as film making? Are you going to school for that or do you simply have some ideas to make your own movies? I find that very interesting and cool. :)

MemberMember
(@lll3)

Posted : 04/29/2013 3:43 pm

Hey everyone! just read through the thread and some people had some very useful suggestions, esp the person who mentioned focusing on your career, or whatever your strengths/ambitions are. Just careful, obviously, not to get too hooked in them :)

As for dealing with acne, we all know it's damn near impossible to just ignore it. I mean, we can chose to not think about it, but that won't last. sorry if that sounds negative. I think in order to properly deal with the issue, we need to be realistic and open. At times, don't think about it all and focus on your strengths and ambitions. At other times, perhaps as a practice in "self-knowing" or "self-reflection" or "meditation" (whatever you want to call it), see if you can let the acne be as it is. Practice going out in different settings without hiding or covering or resisting your appearance at all. It's much easier said than done, believe me I know. But like I said, taking it up as a PRACTICE, where over time you become better and better at it, is perhaps a wise approach. Magical things happen when we learn to accept whatever is, especially if it's something about our appearance.

Also, try to realize (again, with practice) how much your improving as a person, by persevering. You are undoubtedly gaining wisdom, patience, inner strength etc. along this journey. By the way, your goal to have clear skin is wonderful and very important but in no way is that single goal your defining life purpose/life goal. At times, you may think that your efforts to have clear skin is the single most important thing for you. But you know it's not the most underlying purpose. By all means, pursue your goal to have clear skin but do not let it take control of you!

Try this:

Sit quietly somewhere where you feel comfortable and able to think clearly. Imagine, with as much detail as possible, what your experience would be like if you woke up the next morning with clear skin. Sit with that feeling. "Meditate" on it. Visualize other people's reactions when they see you. Visualize how much more energy and motivation you would have. Try to "live" that experience as deeply as possible. If you can sit with this feeling for a while, after you stand up and carry on with your life's activities, you will see that you CAN live that feeling that you visualized. Practice everyday and you will one day wake up in the morning and see that your visualization has become a reality. not by accident :) you made it happen.

What do you think?

MemberMember
(@quietjamie14)

Posted : 04/30/2013 3:41 am

You look like a really good looking guy from your pic.

There's a lot of talk in the "how you feeling about your acne" thread about relationships right now. But in general, I wouldn't worry about a relationship and instead focus as much energy as you can into your career. That was what I mostly did during the time my acne and mental health was at its worst. Like me, you're pursuing a career that requires a lot of energy, creativity and passion, and all that can be great distractions from having acne. Plus, as a filmmaker you can have acne or be 10000 pounds or whatever, and people will still like and respect you for your art. If you do cool, creative things people will like you regardless of how you look, ESPECIALLY as a guy. Seriously, there are a lot of not-very-hot filmmakers, directors, producers etc who are married to some hot models and actresses and that's because they have confidence in themselves career-wise. So that's where you should put your focus.

What are you plans as far as film making? Are you going to school for that or do you simply have some ideas to make your own movies? I find that very interesting and cool. smile.png

I think this is really great advice: I second it. This has been my approach throughout my twenties too. It's really helped my sanity to have a passion and a focus in life that isn't centred around my looks or 'picking up' women. When I'm in the midst of researching or writing something interesting then I forget altogether about my acne. My career has also enabled (and forced) me to meet new people - I speak at conferences, give lectures, teach classes, and work on collaborative projects with others. It's definitely a good idea to make connections with like-minded, creative, clever people.

I have to say that the relationship side hasn't been working out too well for me - the women aren't exactly lining up! But my peers do respect me for my mind and my writing, and that feels a hundred times more fulfilling than being admired for something as shallow as appearance. At 28, I have a PhD and have published 3 articles in major journals and have 2 books coming out next year. No amount of acne can take that away from me... And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one day I'll meet the right woman who'll respect that.

Good luck with the filmmaking etc. There's no way that acne should stop you being successful in a career like that.

MemberMember
(@polka-dot-face)

Posted : 05/02/2013 10:45 am

As a woman I can attest - you're quite good looking!

Especially with a beard! If you can grow a thick beard you're lucky - it covers pimples and scars, prevents you from picking, defines your jawline, makes you look masculine and gives you a thoughtful, artsy-intellectual look. Exactly the thing the non-shallow girls fall for.

Anyways, I think girls are turned on more by a trim athletic body than a face.

I married a guy with some acne scars along his cheeks and jaws. He grew a beard and now you can't tell he ever had acne.