Notifications
Clear all

Weight Changes With Spiro

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 04/21/2013 12:15 pm

I was just wondering if anyone who takes Spiro OR any other hormonal thing, if they noticed a change in weight?

Im just getting extremely discouraged. I am on 50mg of Spiro but I have totally noticed that since being on Spiro I have totally gained weight, maybe about 5lbs. I look bloated most of the time and have noticed a fuller face, boobs and thighs/stomach. Its disgusting. I hate feeling this way about my body. My stomach is what really gets me down, mostly my lower stomach, since its extended most of the time and honestly looks like Im PREGNANT.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences and if they managed to control their weight in any way whilst on medications?

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 04/25/2013 5:54 pm

On 100mg of spiro for over two years, I gained 20lbs in my thighs and lower abdomen (110lbs to about 130lbs) but didn't change anything in my lifestyle. I tried to lose it but couldn't no matter what I did. It was depressing because I have a tiny frame to begin with.

As soon as I stopped spiro, the weight fell off almost immediately. Again, I didn't change anything else. I loved that spiro cleared my skin, but it wasn't worth it with all the side effects.

MemberMember
(@redredred)

Posted : 04/29/2013 12:55 pm

I have been on 150mg Spiro for 6 months and my weight has not changed at all.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/13/2013 12:09 am

I experienced some weight gain when I transitioned up to 100mg. It freaked me out a little bit. What I found helped was:

1. ALWAYS take spiro with a full meal.

2. Take spiro with breakfast and lunch. Your thyroid and androgen levels are highest in the morning. DO NOT take spiro after 3pm.

3. Make sure you are not eating too much potassium (eating a lot of bananas, certain other fruits and veggies, dairy because most dairy is fortified with potassium). Spiro is a potassium-sparing diuretic and affects your electrolytes. If you have too much potassium circulating around you will feel really bloated because of the electrolyte imbalance. Cut back on potassium-rich foods. Full list of potassium rich foods

4. Give it some time. The 5-6 pounds I gained eventually came off when I made the changes listed above. My face is a little softer, but honestly I'm getting compliments left and right, and I'm realizing that my face was too angular, almost masculine before. My boobs remained about a half cup size bigger. My thighs and stomach feel the same as before.

Also, wild shot in the dark, but you don't happen to be taking any sleeping aids with melatonin in them are you? Melatonin is a hormone and can cause weight gain like nobody's business, but most people don't realize how powerful it is

Ripon10 liked
MemberMember
(@redredred)

Posted : 07/02/2013 11:17 pm

I experienced some weight gain when I transitioned up to 100mg. It freaked me out a little bit. What I found helped was:

1. ALWAYS take spiro with a full meal.

2. Take spiro with breakfast and lunch. Your thyroid and androgen levels are highest in the morning. DO NOT take spiro after 3pm.

3. Make sure you are not eating too much potassium (eating a lot of bananas, certain other fruits and veggies, dairy because most dairy is fortified with potassium). Spiro is a potassium-sparing diuretic and affects your electrolytes. If you have too much potassium circulating around you will feel really bloated because of the electrolyte imbalance. Cut back on potassium-rich foods. Full list of potassium rich foods

4. Give it some time. The 5-6 pounds I gained eventually came off when I made the changes listed above. My face is a little softer, but honestly I'm getting compliments left and right, and I'm realizing that my face was too angular, almost masculine before. My boobs remained about a half cup size bigger. My thighs and stomach feel the same as before.

Also, wild shot in the dark, but you don't happen to be taking any sleeping aids with melatonin in them are you? Melatonin is a hormone and can cause weight gain like nobody's business, but most people don't realize how powerful it is

Wow, thanks for tip 1 and the bit about melatonin. I never really thought about those two facts. I always find your posts to be so helpful, thank you!!!

MemberMember
(@littlelake)

Posted : 07/07/2013 12:08 pm

weight gain? ew, I already have weight problems. ;-; if its not one thing, its something else! I hate hormones!

MemberMember
(@ninergirl)

Posted : 07/10/2013 12:22 am

Wow I must say spiro is a funny drug! It must effect everyone differently I just started a week ago and I have zero appetite! I am not complaining, but I literally have to force myself to eat and taking a few small bites of food I am extremely full. I have already lost 4 pounds. The downside is the derm put me on minocycline to help with my current acne and with initial breakout that could happen from spiro and minocycline you have to take on a full stomach or else you will get nauseous or vomit.