Notifications
Clear all

Is Anyone On This Board An Experienced Faster?

MemberMember
(@astaxin)

Posted : 04/05/2013 12:05 am

I have a couple of questions about fasting and I can't find any other forums on the internet with topics about fasting. So if you are experienced in fasting I hope you can answer my questions:

1) How often should a fast be performed? I've read some experienced fasters state that fasting becomes easier and more beneficial every time you do one, so how often should it be done? I was thinking of doing a 7 day fast every month, but is that too much?

2) Is water fasting the best type? Cause I've heard good things about juice fasting and dry fasting but I feel like I should choose one and stick to it.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 04/05/2013 3:58 am

I'm quite an experienced faster. I've been known to go 3 hours without food! ;) Haha, I couldn't fast if my life depended on it but good luck to you if you find it provides you with any benefits.

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 04/05/2013 9:19 am

Hi, why do you want to fast for seven days straight?

Personally, I practice daily intermittent fasting (15+ hours without food) and I find it highly beneficial. I begin my fast in the evening and end it in the afternoon. At first it was very difficult to go without food in the morning, but now I find it very easy and I don't get hungry until about 1300.

Look through the Diet and Holistic Forum, it contains a lot of information on fasting.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 04/05/2013 9:48 am

I have a couple of questions about fasting and I can't find any other forums on the internet with topics about fasting. So if you are experienced in fasting I hope you can answer my questions:

1) How often should a fast be performed? I've read some experienced fasters state that fasting becomes easier and more beneficial every time you do one, so how often should it be done? I was thinking of doing a 7 day fast every month, but is that too much?

2) Is water fasting the best type? Cause I've heard good things about juice fasting and dry fasting but I feel like I should choose one and stick to it.

1) You can fast whenever you like, as long as you know how your body will respond in such a circumstance (I.e irritability, brain fog, fatigue etc). Fasting does get easier and easier as your body adjusts. As long as you're being consistent, your body will adapt. In regards to a 7 day fast, unless you're a Buddhist monk, I'd advise against such an extreme. However, if you're determined to have a 7 day fast once a month, contact your physician first and foremost. Build up to it, starting with a 16 hour fast and increase it by 2 hours every 5 days.This will prevent your body from having to make any hasty changes due to "shock" (This was my method to avoid unnecessary fat retention, when I used to fast for 24 hours every week).

2) Juice fasting (In my eyes) is the superior of the three, down to the fact that you're still getting some decent nutrients in your system and the mental impact isn't as severe, because you're consuming fluids (as opposed to dry) and those fluids are flavoured (as opposed to water fasting).

If you do decide to juice (lol), invest in a decent juicer. One where you can maintain all of the fruits contents afterwards (That's all fruit WITH their skins. Obvious exceptions- Oranges, Bananas etc.)

Finally, if you're going to fast, why not keep a log?. It'll help you stay on track and others can help you with their tips and motivation.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/05/2013 9:52 am

I only do intermittent fasting.