Notifications
Clear all

Acne Obsession

MemberMember
(@jigglemyjello)

Posted : 04/02/2013 6:25 pm

Hey guys,

I realized today how bad my obsession with my face has become. My acne has gotten so much better than it was a few months ago and hopefully it will continue to get even better. However, I find when I have free time I feel a need to check my face. I used to only care about the obvious pimples, but now I'm freaking out over the smallest red mark......Does anyone have any advice or something to relax or put me in perspective. I realize how sad this is but it honestly can ruin my days sometimes. Almost everyone at my school has at least one trouble area and many kids are even much worse off than me, but I still care.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Good luck to everyone in their battle with acne. I truly feel you and know how much pain it can cause.

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 04/03/2013 5:32 pm

I struggle with this too. I over analyze myself to the point of developing extreme anxiety. I stress myself out. I hate that I do it but I just want to let you know that you are not alone. There is a thread here called "surprise challenge" you should check it out. Basically you just have to let it go. Stop stressing about it and live your life. Easier said than done I know but thats the only answer.

If there is any advice I can give you is please DONT PICK! Just dont do it! Pimples come and go but developing craters on your face lasts forever. Trust me I learned the hard way. I used to pop, pick, squeeze and one point I was so ignorant on how to take care of myself that I shaved zits off....F*CKING STUPID I KNOW! But again DONT PICK!

MemberMember
(@lewi)

Posted : 04/04/2013 12:28 am

You shaved pimples off?? Ouch!

I tried not to pick when my acne was severe, it's really hard and sometimes i realised that i didn't even notice that i was picking. But my cystic was so severe that a lot of cysts that i didn't pick scarred anyway. i found a good idea was to cut your fingernails as short as possible so you can minimise damage yet still partially satisfy your guilty habit

I saw a teenage girl with really bad cystic acne recently picking away... man I really wanted to go up to her and tell to please, for the love of god STOP, you'll end up like me!! It's kinda off-putting too, don't get me wrong i feel *a lot* of empathy for my fellow acne sufferers and i make the special effort to smile at them whenever i see them (i know that feeling) but come on it's kinda gross watching someone do this (imo) she was quite pretty too.

As for the original poster, I'm sorry to hear of your (seemingly mostly psychological) battle with this condition. The good news is that it sounds as though your skin is not as bad as you may often think, and it is fantastic news that it has 'gotten so much better'. Just be glad you're not covered in permanent disfiguring scarring like some of us. cry.gif

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 04/04/2013 6:35 am

Constantly checking yourself in the mirror is a symptom of body dysmorphic disorder, something a lot of us have (I do). It can really make your life hell.

MemberMember
(@okaythen)

Posted : 04/04/2013 2:25 pm

Hi!

I'm quite obsessed with my face at the moment. It sucks.

What's helping me:

Looking in the mirror alot less.

When I do look at myself, I make sure it's from a distance. That way, I can't see the flaws.

Not much, but I hope that helps.

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 04/04/2013 9:09 pm

okaythen, i completely agree with you. These days, I am trying my best not to look up close in the mirror... and it helps my psyche for sure

MemberMember
(@hiding)

Posted : 04/04/2013 10:29 pm

I know exactly how you feel..I tried to pop even the smallest pimple or red mark and they became very dark red marks that have stayed with me for months :/

It's hard not obsessing over your face I constantly check the mirror or go to the bathroom to see if any new pimples came out...I feel your pain haha

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 04/04/2013 10:51 pm

You shaved pimples off?? Ouch!

lol yea man...I'm embarrassed about it because its such a dumbass thing to do. Keep in mind this was like 13 years ago and I was just some ignorant dude living outside of a very small town in the sticks. Parents never had acne problems so they were of no help...and at times it seemed like they couldn't give a sh*t less. I didn't even know acne caused scaring lol. I laugh about it now but it sucks. I wish I can turn back time and take care of myself but oh wells.

MemberMember
(@jigglemyjello)

Posted : 04/07/2013 8:20 am

Hahahah. O man you guys read my mind. That is exactly what I do with regards to mirrors. If they are close I just look down, but if they are far enough to not see any flaws I look. Although it makes me upset sometimes cause I really how happy I would be with my looks if i didn't have acne....

(@LewisS)

Posted : 04/07/2013 9:03 am

I'm like this too. When my face was covered in acne, I'd just pop the huge ones and get on with my day. Now that I'm clear, but still get 1-2 every couple of days I obsess over them because they stand out more on clear skin. When I had a ton, nobody commented, but now when I get one people are like 'Oh you've got pimple btw!'...annoys me so much.

MemberMember
(@tryst)

Posted : 04/08/2013 12:10 am

Oh my heck, I know that feel. Lately, since my acne has been flaring up (most likely from stress), I've been examining the crap out of my face at night and in the mornings. I tell myself I do it to see if what I'm currently using on my face is working, but... What I'm really doing is stressing the crap out of myself, and thus making my acne even worse.

Cause acne is a female dog that gets worse when you worry about it. -_-

I know I need to relax and take a chill pill, not inspect it so closely, give it time, see if it works. But it's like I'm obsessed. Like you said.

Ugh. It about sends me to tears every single time. Why does acne exist?

Anyways. Hopefully we can all be clear someday. And hopefully that day comes sooner then later.

MemberMember
(@jigglemyjello)

Posted : 04/09/2013 4:01 pm

Hey guys thanks for the posts. On Monday I kinda had a freak out about my face so I decided enough is enough. I started a new routine where I am not checking my face at all. No looking in the mirror. No photos. No reflections. Nothing. I'm in high school still so I just ask my mom if there is anything SUPER obvious before I go. Its so far really helping. Although my friends keep telling me to shave (LOL!). I really don't want to cause that would make me have to look!