Notifications
Clear all

Ugliness The Oldest Form Of Discrimination

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 03/28/2013 3:58 pm

it use to be that someone would be hated for having different color skin or maybe because you like a person of the same sex. society have slowly accepted the ideas no longer making them as taboo as it use to be. but one form of discrimination has always been with man from the beginning of his time, that being ugliness of course. if a person is born with it then he or she is forced to carry that burden all their life making it so much more difficult then any of their normal counterparts. especially in american society where i am and was born into, it feels like the media has a war going on about looks always glorifying beautiful people rarely showing average let alone ugly people in ads or shows. getting a job, finding a mate, functioning in society all thees things that come naturally to good looking people. are like climbing mount Everest to me or going to the moon. what is a guy like me gonna to do? all i want and i'm sure a lot of people here want is to live a normal life without having to deal with how people judge them every day. i haven't been able to hold down a job and that's directly related to my acne because it effects me so much, i haven't been able to gain a good work ethic how can i when i'm bombarded with negativity like 27/7 360 days a year.. really i can only see two ways of living my life either going to the military if they even accept my ugly ass or going to prison. either way it really doesn't matter i'll never escape the misery of being in my acne infested body, so like wtf is the point man? wtf i this shit excuse of a life... i don't want to become homeless all because of my ugliness and not being able to adjust myself to society.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 03/28/2013 4:21 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna reply later on to this thread. Maybe tomorrow after work. So if you don't want me to be sure to delete it before then! lol.gif Or put me on ignore. ermm.gif No man, just kidding. I will reply though... Just not right now. eusa_snooty.gif

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 03/28/2013 5:09 pm

Personally I believe that we are all born into this world beautiful little babies, and Im pretty sure our mothers and other family members would certainly agree to that. We would also grow up doing cute little things and making seemingly silly mistakes when we are young, you know, like drawing on the walls or eating something that isn't food...silly things. And we learn from them, totally. Life is all about learning. But we were still beautiful.

But if we are in a situation when growing up and we get called names from a young age then I think this makes us question ourselves; bodies, mind, work ethics even. These names that we get called tend to stick with us, heck I remember getting called "IRON FACE" because my nose is like a button, it is sooo tiny, and I got slagged rotten for it, I wanted a nose job it was that bad, I was so close to getting my nose made bigger all because of what people called me. "Stacey-Ann the frying pan" Lol I still remember this. Jesus.

Anyway, when we get called "ugly" or some form of it, then we are gonna believe these fucking rumours aren't we? I mean what do WE know right? These people in our class are calling us this and everyone else in the class is laughing apart from a few, maybe they are "ugly" as well - who knows. So throughout school and even high school we remember this embarasment, it is lodged in our brain and it is a belief about ourselves, it actually develops into low self esteem since its all we think about and believe about ourselves...we believe we are ugly therefore we are going to ATTRACT these SPECIFIC experiences to our everyday lives which PROVE our ugliness...whether that be a high-class beautician in a shop looking down upon us, or us getting paraniod about people talking behind us - since they MUST be talking about us right?... Just normal situations like these.

I think that is how we believe ourselves to be UGLY. Its not because we thought we were when we were young...I doubt very much that everyone of us called ourselves ugly in the mirror growing up, no way..this word probably wasn't even part of our vocabulary until someone heard it one day and called someone it or something. I personally believe that our self esteem and self image is reflected from our experiences from when we are younger. Like if we were called names then instead of having our own values and beliefs about ourselves, we steal theirs, the idiots that branded us THIS UGLY title.

I don't think I am ugly though, not anymore, and I don't think you are either. I don't actually think anyone is UGLY - its such a horrible word, I mean would you call someone this? If not, then why call yourself this?

Im going to try MY best to tell MYSELF that I am gorgeous, both inside and out, and one day ONE DAY I will find a lovely man/husband/whatever who will also find me equally attractive. I have MY own believes and Im not going to steal anybody elses about what THEY think of me...heck they can think what the fuck they like. I hope one day you do the same, and realise how strong you actually are. Beauty and ugliness I guess are subjective.

Let the haters hate.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 03/29/2013 4:26 pm

lol.gif I started writing just now but I looked at the first paragraph I wrote and it was depressing as Hell. eusa_doh.gif So I'm just going to say this: hang in there man! I'm sure you've heard this before but honestly seeing that you are young chances are that things will be very different in the not so distant future.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 03/29/2013 4:51 pm

The physically manifestation is that people don't want to talk to you. That's the biggest problem, because if you choose to live like a normal person then you realize that is absolutely impossible due to the severed connection with society. You have no network and from my experience it is very difficult to reconnect with society.

MemberMember
(@damnlife)

Posted : 03/29/2013 5:06 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder nod.gif

But seriously I know what you are talking about and I feel fucked up everyday too, especially when summer comes I just sit home doing nothing...

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 03/29/2013 7:30 pm

I'd bet I'm the ugliest person on this board. I see people on here post pictures of themselves showing their scars and acne but I always see attractive people underneath it all. Thats not some B.S I mean seriously I see people with nice bone structure, pretty eyes, sexy lips,

Anyway my point is yea it sucks to be ugly but I'm sure you people are better looking than you think. Acne and scaring suck but sometimes there are other physical traits that can compensate for it.

I'm super ugly on every level. Sucks man. Through my life there have still been women who have showed interest in me based on pure personality, so if you even believe it or not looks aren't everything. Sh*t I don't believe that 100% myself but its somewhat true.

MemberMember
(@fraz_2010)

Posted : 04/01/2013 11:57 pm

I'd bet I'm the ugliest person on this board. I see people on here post pictures of themselves showing their scars and acne but I always see attractive people underneath it all. Thats not some B.S I mean seriously I see people with nice bone structure, pretty eyes, sexy lips, etc.

You see what we can all see in people, besides ourselves.

The problem with "uglyness" is that it has lost its true meaning over time.

The true meaning of uglyness isn't something physical at all. It's an idea that people form in their heads about themselves. The only person in the world who thinks your truly ugly is yourself. Other people who tell you that you are ugly, don't genuenly believe that you are. They will either say it out of anger, or to defend themselves from their own insecurities, but they don't genuinely mean it. Nobody else cares what you look like, they're too busy being concerned about their own appearance to care about what you look it.

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 04/02/2013 12:26 am

One positive that came with my acne is not judging people's appearance. Thanks to acne I have stopped seeing people's spotty faces and really admire their beauty! I am not kidding you when I say I am completely blind to people's facial flaws now

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 04/03/2013 5:22 pm

I'd bet I'm the ugliest person on this board. I see people on here post pictures of themselves showing their scars and acne but I always see attractive people underneath it all. Thats not some B.S I mean seriously I see people with nice bone structure, pretty eyes, sexy lips, etc.

The true meaning of uglyness isn't something physical at all. It's an idea that people form in their heads about themselves. The only person in the world who thinks your truly ugly is yourself. Other people who tell you that you are ugly, don't genuenly believe that you are. They will either say it out of anger, or to defend themselves from their own insecurities, but they don't genuinely mean it. Nobody else cares what you look like, they're too busy being concerned about their own appearance to care about what you look it.

You are probably right. It just sucks when someone makes a off hand comment about my appearance. It really f*cks me up. I guess I'm super sensitive or whatever.

MemberMember
(@fraz_2010)

Posted : 04/03/2013 10:17 pm

You are probably right. It just sucks when someone makes a off hand comment about my appearance. It really f*cks me up. I guess I'm super sensitive or whatever.

It's ok. Being sensitive is what makes us human. Although, sometimes its better not to let our emotions overwhelm us and get the better of us.

If you find yourself in a situation again where you feel as if you're being judged on your physicality, try to over-ride your emotions by using quick simple logic. The person is most likely very angry or very insecure about themself. They have to make others feel small in order to feel big themselves. They don't mean the things they say, they just crave that false feeling of superiority.

MemberMember
(@lewi)

Posted : 04/03/2013 10:35 pm

Some of the most beautiful women I have ever had the pleasure of seeing have had severe acne scarring. Maybe I'm a bit biased? wink.png I focused on their beautiful eyes, or smile and i don't think their scars detracted really at all.

But still i think it shows self-confidence that i appreciate when i woman shows off her 'flaws' and natural beauty, i for one prefer acne/scarring to makeup-covered flaws, it makes a girl look well human and approachable and I'm so sick of unrealistic contrived western beauty standards.

And I've seen guys with more severe acne scarring than me whom I thought were better looking than me (could be that you are your own worst critic) but these guys are really buff with well defined jawlines etc., managed to pull off a certain tough or rugged appearance, time to hit the gym!

MemberMember
(@atticus10)

Posted : 07/02/2013 2:43 pm

i feel you man. its hard to go on with your daily life when wherever you go you see peoples eyes staring at you. Im 26 and have severe acne scarring, ive seen some photos of people in this forum with what they call severe acne scarring and mine is much worse. Just when i thought i could deal with my scarring problem and not be depressed all the time. i started getting body acne and not long after that tinea versicolor and both of which are fungal infections that feed on oily skin. Now everything with me is a mess. the last ounce of self pride i have which came from maintaining a relatively fit body is gone. I find that i am now afraid of going to the beach which is something i enjoy and do often because i now feel ugly more than before. Its depressing really to have our problem and its even more depressing to know that whether we like it or not people will always judge you first by the way you look. Just try to hang in there man we have no other choice but to hang in there and hope that somehow the future will be better.

MemberMember
(@ruweyda)

Posted : 07/02/2013 4:51 pm

watch embarrassing bodies on youtube

that's when I realized acne isn't an issue at all.

MemberMember
(@celestialelf)

Posted : 07/02/2013 5:16 pm

Having acne doesn't make you ugly. In my opinion the only thing that makes a person ugly is a bad personality. :o

We really are our own worst critic.

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 07/07/2013 11:18 pm

I would like this to be completely true but unfortunately because of what I've been through I can't agree with you entirely here.

Having acne doesn't make you ugly. In my opinion the only thing that makes a person ugly is a bad personality. gasp.gif

We really are our own worst critic.