Notifications
Clear all

Nutrient Intake And Evolution

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 03/19/2013 11:41 am

Hi everyone

Before you read this please excuse my ignorance and lack of knowledge on the subject.

I was recently thinking about how much of a nutrient our bodies need on a daily basis. and how it would have been almost impossible for our ancestors to get all the nutrients and the amounts recommended to us now in a world where they had to hunt and gather food and go days without any food at all.

I then discovered that for some vitamins, like A, D, E, and K (the fat soluble vitamins), it can take weeks or months to run down on it if you have a good supply already in your system because supposedly your body is good at storing these vitamins. but it is also thought that the water soluble vitamins like C and the B complex vitamins (B6, B12, niacin, riboflavin and folate) do not store well in the body and therefore it is suggested that you intake these vitamins on a very regular basis.

i then read a website claiming that vitamin C is stored in the kidneys and various other places and it can last up to 90 days presuming you have been consuming high levels of vit c up to that point. other studies claim that b12 and folate can be stored for months.

so thats as far as ive got on the subject so i was wondering if anyone of the forum knew if it is reasonable to assume we consume to many vitamins and whether this is bad for us and also if it may be useful/ beneficial to deplete our vitamin stores every once in a while

thanks

Scov

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/19/2013 11:57 am

We came from the tropics where sources of vitamin C were abundant. Most other animals make their own vitamin C and they make it by the gram. But we, and all of our closest relatives, must consume it. That's one of the reasons gorillas graze nearly all day long.

But yes, fat soluble vitamins are stored, where as water soluble vitamins circulate through the body for a few hours where they are either used (vitamin C is needed to produce cells, it's also an antioxidant contributing electrons to other nutrients) or eliminated in our urine.