Notifications
Clear all

Panicking And Desperate

MemberMember
(@skinnyminnie)

Posted : 03/17/2013 1:43 pm

I have a trip this upcoming weekend and my skin is just terrible. My mom was so kind to point out to me this morning that she's never seen my skin this bad even when I was a teenager (which imo is untrue). My chin has been constantly breaking out, now it's migrated up to my cheeks, and the part of my eyebrows closest to my nose keep breaking out with these hard, under-the-skin lumps. I actually only have a couple of active pimples, the rest are red marks, and this morning I was feeling good until my mom's comment.

However...my face is actually a burned mess right now. I used BP which I shouldn't have but it's the ONLY treatment that has ever kept me consistently clear. Without it I just don't know what to do. Late last year I suddenly became overly sensitive to it. I used to slather on Dan's BP morning and night and one day my face just did a 360 and acted like it's never experienced BP before. I know by the weekend, with gentle cleansing and moisturizing, the burns will fade away, but I'll definitely have a nice new outbreak of spots. I can't even spot treat with BP because the entire section of skin burns around the pimple. SOMETIMES I get lucky and there's no burn, and I basically took my chances last night...

I know the only thing that'll heal the burns is time. I'm curious about something though - we have 10% BP clearasil in the house, and I've spot treated with this lately, and I never burn from it. Is it worth it to buy their 2.5% BP at the store? (I've bought SO many different acne treatment products since my skin became adverse to BP...SA/BHA is the reason why I have these lumps on my forehead, I'll never touch that stuff again.) Is it just Dan's that I'm burning from?

I need to add that my mom didn't intend to be mean-spirited. She has the wrong idea though, she thinks that because I've switched cleansers I've inflamed my skin. But I told her that the cleansers I use don't have medication in them. Although I thought Purpose was a problem and last month I switched to CeraVe which after a month I again thought it was the problem...I just bought the Cetaphil gentle cleansing bar which I've used before and don't remember problems with. Plus my skin doesn't dry and flake from it. So I guess for the rest of the week I will follow the strict regime of Cetaphil and Dan's moisturizer only..

MemberMember
(@edithharms)

Posted : 03/17/2013 1:48 pm

This might sound nuts to you, but I had a similar experience once and out of sheer desperation I did the following in the span of a weekend:

-I bought a real aloe planet, cut it open and spread the flesh on my skin every couple of hours.

-I laid in bed and slept as much as I could.

-I drank several cups of white and green tea. Water too (yes, I peed every half hour).

-Once the tea was finished steeping and the aloe had absorbed, I put the tea bags on my skin.

-I put a humidifier next to my bed.

My skin was completely calm in two days. I chose not to go out at all because I thought I looked nuts, but hey.

MemberMember
(@skinnyminnie)

Posted : 03/17/2013 1:57 pm

No, it makes sense - nice and natural. I totally agree about the sleep, by the way! I find that my skin looks best after 9-10 hours of sleep. The more sleep, the more healed my skin gets. I have green tea in the house, just not a fan - but I'm going to put the water on right now! I don't have time to put the bag on my face (work soon and then home very late) but tomorrow I'll try that. Thanks! :)

MemberMember
(@excelicious)

Posted : 03/18/2013 1:53 pm

BP? I know what I am about to say to you is scary but according to a study (frogot what site) that benzoyl peroxide is a oxidizing agent. Meaning it oxidizes the vital cells in your body possibly causing them to age faster, poor quality when they divide and cause cancer cells. Have you heard about antioxidants? They help limit and prevent our cells from oxidizing and Tea tree oil, Hydrogen peroxide, and benzoyl peroxide are oxidizing agents! Your skin is trying to tell you "STOP!!! You are killling us!!". I was in the same position as you believing that the things these oxidizing agents will clear me up, but it made my skin worse the longer I used them. I really do suggest you stop and start listening to what yhour skin has to say and not the people around you. For everyone of us are individuals and we have individuals needs.

EDIT: That's how I had acne in the first place, by listening to the so called "these are good for you products". Take all the information you can get from people and start filtering and segregating the bad advice from the good ones. If someone tells you to buy a certain product, search it up, ask people about it, read reviews online (real reviews not fake ones) until you are satisfied about the information about the product before buying it. That's what I do and the acne started disappearing one after the other (left with dark spots though :/ just waiting for em to heal up)

MemberMember
(@pigwidgeon)

Posted : 03/18/2013 2:08 pm

Do you use a facial moisturizer daily? I've used BP and retinol in the past, and they burned my skin too. However, mixing a small amount of BP with a good non-greasy moisturizer makes it much less harsh on the skin, because the extra moisture keeps your skin from getting too dry and sensitive. Do you use BP once a day or twice a day? If twice a day, try switching to once a day at night (mixed with moisturizer) and then just wash your face with a gentle cleanser and use moisturizer in the morning. This will help restore your natural skin barrier, and, hopefully, prevent you from getting burned. I think getting the 2.5% at the store sounds like a good idea if BP is the only thing that works for you.

Until your skin is healed, however, the above advice sounds good! Don't put anything else harsh on your skin until it clears up. Aloe really helps with burns, and drinking water and tea is just great for your skin anyway. Icing your skin also helps it to heal faster, and aspirin helps take down any inflammation. To ice your whole face, you can either use an ice pack and do one minute on, one minute off, or take an ice cube and massage it all over your face until it melts after cleansing but before putting on any creams/lotions.

I hope your skin gets better soon! That does not sound fun.

MemberMember
(@skinnyminnie)

Posted : 03/18/2013 5:32 pm

Do you use a facial moisturizer daily? I've used BP and retinol in the past, and they burned my skin too. However, mixing a small amount of BP with a good non-greasy moisturizer makes it much less harsh on the skin, because the extra moisture keeps your skin from getting too dry and sensitive. Do you use BP once a day or twice a day? If twice a day, try switching to once a day at night (mixed with moisturizer) and then just wash your face with a gentle cleanser and use moisturizer in the morning. This will help restore your natural skin barrier, and, hopefully, prevent you from getting burned. I think getting the 2.5% at the store sounds like a good idea if BP is the only thing that works for you.

Until your skin is healed, however, the above advice sounds good! Don't put anything else harsh on your skin until it clears up. Aloe really helps with burns, and drinking water and tea is just great for your skin anyway. Icing your skin also helps it to heal faster, and aspirin helps take down any inflammation. To ice your whole face, you can either use an ice pack and do one minute on, one minute off, or take an ice cube and massage it all over your face until it melts after cleansing but before putting on any creams/lotions.

Yes, I use Dan's moisturizer morning and night. It's wonderful and soothing.

My redness has gone down a good bit. Besides a couple spots I don't have active acne right now (save whiteheads) so I'll be good with just gentle cleansing and moisturizing 2x a day.

I literally just use BP as a spot treatment now because a few months ago my skin rebelled against the treatment. I used to apply a good amount of Dan's BP in the morning/afternoon after my shower, just once a day. Sometimes twice a day if I needed it. Never did I experience this kind of redness (which I began to experience a few months ago) and I rarely experienced peeling skin. Then out of nowhere I got a terrible reaction. I even used the BP *on purpose* after a couple reactions went down just to test a part of my face and sure enough the BP burned.

I even though that the BP had expired and recently purchased Dan's travel-sized to test my skin. But no go, it still burns. So I think I will buy a store brand spot treatment and see if maybe it's something in Dan's product that's begun to react badly.

MemberMember
(@pigwidgeon)

Posted : 03/19/2013 2:01 am

My redness has gone down a good bit. Besides a couple spots I don't have active acne right now (save whiteheads) so I'll be good with just gentle cleansing and moisturizing 2x a day.

I literally just use BP as a spot treatment now because a few months ago my skin rebelled against the treatment. I used to apply a good amount of Dan's BP in the morning/afternoon after my shower, just once a day. Sometimes twice a day if I needed it. Never did I experience this kind of redness (which I began to experience a few months ago) and I rarely experienced peeling skin. Then out of nowhere I got a terrible reaction. I even used the BP *on purpose* after a couple reactions went down just to test a part of my face and sure enough the BP burned.

I even though that the BP had expired and recently purchased Dan's travel-sized to test my skin. But no go, it still burns. So I think I will buy a store brand spot treatment and see if maybe it's something in Dan's product that's begun to react badly.

Good luck with the store brand! I hope it works better, and I'm glad your skin is clearing up so nicely!

MemberMember
(@skinnyminnie)

Posted : 03/19/2013 2:08 pm

Good luck with the store brand! I hope it works better, and I'm glad your skin is clearing up so nicely!

Thanks! I just bought Neutrogena's 2.5%, I have a spot I'll test it out on tonight.

MemberMember
(@skinnyminnie)

Posted : 03/24/2013 10:58 pm

I've been using the Neutrogena 2.5% spot treatment every day since my last post, as a spot treatment at first and now tonight I've used it generously - and there's ZERO redness, irritation, itching, dryness, peeling...so the reactions I've been having to Dan's BP must be some ingredient in the lotion or the way it's been formulated.