Notifications
Clear all

What Is Going On!?

MemberMember
(@hailmail)

Posted : 03/03/2013 8:22 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Hailey and I am 20 years old, in September of 2012 I stopped taking my birth control (ortho tri cylin-lo) which I had been on for about 3-3 1/2 years just because I was lazy and would often to forget to take my pill or would miss a few days. In the beginning of October I began to break all over and did not make the connection between stopping birth control and breaking out.

Around the middle of October I decided to get back on birth control (same brand) but made the mistake of taking my pills the week I was supposed to start my period (my boyfriend and I had just started dating and I didn't want to get my period yet haha) and my face broke out like CRAZY. I got off the birth control about a week after so I could have a normal period and hoped this would stop the acne. Unfortunately, things did not get better and about 2 weeks later after having my period and seeing no improvement I got back on birth control. All throughout November even while on birth control I began to continuously break out. Around Christmas time things started to clear up but soon enough I began to break out again. It is now March and I have just started my 5th pack of birth control but I am still struggling with breakouts. I notice it gets a lot worse the week before my period but my face has not been completely clear since the breakouts started in October.

My doctor prescribed doxycyclin but I chose not to take it because of the horrible things I read about on Acne.org and how it is just a quick fix. I have no seen a dermatologist because I have also heard bad thing about them and am nervous about using any of the things they would prescribe for me as I have very sensitive skin.

I also want to add that I have never had trouble with acne and have always had perfectly clear skin all my life. I am a little OCD with my skin and never go to bed without washing my face and have been especially on top of it since I started breaking out. My question is, is this for sure a hormonal issue that will be balanced out by the birth control? Or could there be something else going on? If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/03/2013 8:33 pm

what topicals are u using to treat ur acne?

MemberMember
(@hailmail)

Posted : 03/03/2013 8:42 pm

Sorry I should have included that. I am currently using Clearasil Acne Marks and wash in the am and pm to wash my face, then I use oxy daily cleansing pads (2% salicylic acid), I then apply clean and clear acne oil- free moisturizer and ponds dry skin cream. I work for an esthetician so she gave my glycolic which I was applying morning and night but ran out of, sulfur spot treatment which contains tea tree oil, and a blemish mask containing tar. None of these completely stopped my breakouts so now I am just using bp persa gel 10 in addition to the wash, oxy and moisturizers

The supplements I am taking are vitamin e 400 Iu, Zinc 50 mg, and supplements from my work which contain vitamin a, c, d, evening primrose, horse tail extract, b6 and selenium

MemberMember
(@hailmail)

Posted : 03/03/2013 8:58 pm

what topicals are u using to treat ur acne?

Sorry I should have included that. I am currently using Clearasil Acne Marks and wash in the am and pm to wash my face, then I use oxy daily cleansing pads (2% salicylic acid), I then apply clean and clear acne oil- free moisturizer and ponds dry skin cream. I work for an esthetician so she gave my glycolic which I was applying morning and night but ran out of, sulfur spot treatment which contains tea tree oil, and a blemish mask containing tar. None of these completely stopped my breakouts so now I am just using bp persa gel 10 in addition to the wash, oxy and moisturizers

The supplements I am taking are vitamin e 400 Iu, Zinc 50 mg, and supplements from my work which contain vitamin a, c, d, evening primrose, horse tail extract, b6 and selenium

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/03/2013 9:10 pm

I would suggest using a b5 serum and a niacinamide moisturizer. Also get a retinoid prescribed by your derm. Your face wash also looks harsh. Look into some thing mild.

MemberMember
(@hailmail)

Posted : 03/03/2013 9:25 pm

I would suggest using a b5 serum and a niacinamide moisturizer. Also get a retinoid prescribed by your derm. Your face wash also looks harsh. Look into some thing mild.

I just looked into the b5 serum and it is quite expensive ($69 and up?) do you know of an inexpensive one or is it just expensive because of what you are getting? Do you have any niacin amide moisturizers you can recommend? I think I am going to try the cleanser from Dan's regime. Also, do you use AHA's and would you recommend this for me based on my condition? Thank you so much, you're the only one that replied! biggrin.png

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/03/2013 9:31 pm

I just looked into the b5 serum and it is quite expensive ($69 and up?) do you know of an inexpensive one or is it just expensive because of what you are getting? Olay has a niacinamide moisturizer so I think I will purchase that, and I think I am going to try the cleanser from Dan's regime. Also, do you use AHA's and would you recommend this for me based on my condition? Thank you so much, you're the only one that replied! biggrin.png

I just looked into the b5 serum and it is quite expensive ($69 and up?) do you know of an inexpensive one or is it just expensive because of what you are getting? Olay has a niacinamide moisturizer so I think I will purchase that, and I think I am going to try the cleanser from Dan's regime. Also, do you use AHA's and would you recommend this for me based on my condition? Thank you so much, you're the only one that replied! biggrin.png

u can find cheap b5 ones on ebay. Some people use cerave moisturizer and cleanser. U can try niacinamide from baby face skin care also. I don't use AHA but retinoid should take care of the red marks.