Notifications
Clear all

Ideas For Retin-A Micro Dryness?

MemberMember
(@xpaperbackwriterx)

Posted : 03/03/2013 1:56 pm

My derm started me on Retin-A Micro. I've been on it for six days, and it's basically already worked miracles on my skin. Derm told me that if I can stand it I can use it morning and night, which is what I've been doing (though I'm allergic to certain chemicals like BP and SLS and anything wheat, my skin tends to be pretty much as tough as elephant hide). I've skipped maybe one or two mornings but other than that been really consistent. I wash with Hibiclens that has a few drops of extra glycerin in it. My skin is dry and peely so I've been exfoliating with a buff puff. It doesn't really burn at all....UNLESS I APPLY ANY MOISTURIZER. I've even tried using pure glycerin mixed with water and that burned too!! The only thing that doesn't burn is water, which is a pretty ineffective moisturizer. Does anyone have any ideas for moisturizer one could use with Retin-A? I would love something that is a gel or very light cream, because thick creams tend to mix with the retin-A micro and make it ball up (whereas, say, aloe vera (which burns also) doesn't).

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/07/2013 12:11 pm

Hi there :)

I've never used Retin-A Micro myself but I have had the same symptoms as you from using Nicotinamide Gel and Benzoyl Peroxide (which I don't use anymore because it damages my skin so badly).

The ultimate fix for this is:

1. Spray your face with a mixture of 1 part Glycerin B.P, 1 part Alcohol free toner [NON COMEDOGENIC], and 3 parts water.

2. Follow up with a couple of drops of Jojoba Oil [100% pure organic cold pressed] and gently glide this across your skin (avoiding irritation so no rubbing hard).

3. Leave for 10 minutes to dry and then take a 2 ply tissue split in half (the kind you blow your nose with) and then gently press it across all of your face until it is shine free and not sticky/greasy at all. You may have to do this a couple of times.

4. If you use any makeup then apply it about 5 minutes later.

This method has seriously been a miracle for me. I hope it works for you! surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 03/10/2013 10:53 am

Unfortunately, moisturizer will "burn" dry skin. You just have to use it until the dryness/burning goes away. Try CeraVe Lotion. That should be fairly light. I would say, if you're skin is really dry, you should use the cream, though. Dryness can make your acne worse because dead skin cells can clog pores.

MemberMember
(@trevor252)

Posted : 03/17/2013 8:34 pm

My skin was so dry when I first started Retin a micro; so i would just moisturize exactly how I would moisturize with the acne.org regimen. It seemed to burn less when you don't rub it in as much. And it keep irritation down as well.

"Apply moisturizer very gently with your fingers. Do not rub. Allow your fingers to gently glide over the skin. This should take no longer than 3 minutes. If after 3 minutes, the moisturizer is not fully absorbed, allow the rest to absorb on its own."