Notifications
Clear all

Psychosomatic Acne

MemberMember
(@luizedu)

Posted : 02/23/2013 6:57 pm

I started reading Skin Deep, a book that deals with the effect of psychology on skin disorders, after someone here in the forum recommended it and noticed this psychosomatic medicine a topic I've never seen anyone talk about here.

Given we all share similar skin problems, I'm curious to know how many of you share the psychological traits described, such as the 11 causes for skin problems (in 2. Listening to your skin). It would also be nice to have your opinion on this, if it is just quackery or something worth looking into.

Though it does seem harder than simply changing one's diets, for those of us who have already tried different paths of the holistic treatment with limited or no success, it may be worth it.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 02/23/2013 10:00 pm

What exactly are the psychological traits listed from skin deep?

MemberMember
(@luizedu)

Posted : 02/24/2013 10:40 am

He lists 11 causes for skin disorders, that may be diagnosed by "listening" to what your skin has to say. It's worth reading their explanation in the book to understand them better.

The list is as follows:

1. Your skin is crying out for love and protection

2. Your skin is raging

3. Your skin is trying to control

4. Your skin is playing sexual policeman

5. Your skin is trying to rewrite history

6. Your skin is suffering for love

7. Your skin is loyal

8. Your skin is remembering

9. Your skin is telling forbidden truths

10. Your skin is trying to stop time

11. Your skin is telling the world you're not perfect

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/24/2013 11:09 pm

Never

MemberMember
(@luizedu)

Posted : 02/25/2013 7:39 pm

Never underestimate the power of the mind. Without reading it properly i can't comment on the methods listed in the given link but i have no doubt that the role that the state of our minds plays with our over all health is underplayed by the medical community.

Not sure how it affects our skin but remember that we have a gut brain axis so everything is interconnected.

Happiness and health are well correlated so i imagine skin would be too.

In general people who live the longest tend to be those who don't dwell on things etc.

Our past ancestors and those who still live in tribes etc had/have much simpler lives. No worrying about stupid things like "Do i have the right clothes/car/house/etc?" Things like bills, debts etc.

"Development" comes at a price.

The interesting thing is that the author deals with much more than just the relation stress-acne. The book advocates that even things that you have incorporated into your vision of yourself may be the cause of your skin problem. For example, something that deeply marked you in your infancy, or your behavior towards love, protection and sex.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 02/26/2013 1:34 am

I will have to read this book

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/26/2013 9:11 am

This book looks interesting. Thanks for sharing. I don't doubt that my chronic acne problems are both a manifestation of something deeply emotional AND a symptom of physical imbalance (food allergies, gut damage, hormone imbalance, etc). It's both.

MemberMember
(@baladii)

Posted : 02/28/2013 1:33 am

I just posted this in the emotional health portion of forums. =) I hope this information proves to be valuable for everyone on some level. I have come to believe that even though we are all complex, unique creatures with different circumstances and biology there is ALWAYS an underlying emotional component to skin diseases.