Is The Regimen Real...

Notifications
Clear all

Is The Regimen Really Worth It?

MemberMember
(@ange978)

Posted : 02/22/2013 11:01 pm

So I was just wondering, is 'The Regimen' really worth buying? I don't have severe acne, but maybe mild to moderate acne. I've already tried Proactiv, and that didn't work whatsoever, so I was wondering if the product actually works? I've read a lot of good reveiws about it, but then a few bad ones too. I guess I kind of jumped into Proactiv to fast and was easily fooled thinking it was going to help clear my acne. Now, I really want to take the time figuring out if 'The Regimen' is capable of clearing my skin. I know about all the dryness, flaking and redness involved, since I used proactiv, I've exprienced all of it. All the dryness, flakyness, redness etc. My skin is still pretty dry to this day even though I have oily skin most of the time. I'm really fed up with products that don't work, as a lot of people probably are. I am also wondering if I should try 'The Regimen' or 'Zenmed.' Have any of you heard about Zenmed? Their products are mostly natural but very expensive, I'm torn between trying these to products, so I hope you have some advice for me. I have a few questions, that I hope you can answer. I'm scared to try these products because my skin is not doing so well at the moment, and I really, really want these products to work.

1. Should I try 'Zenmed' or 'The Regimen?'

2. Will 'The Regimen' work on mild to moderate acne, or does my acne need to be severe for this product?

3. The Regimen has 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide in it, I'm pretty sure that's the same amount Proactiv has in it's products, does that mean it's not going to work, since Proactiv didn't work on me?

4. If I do start 'The Regimen,' how long will the breakout stage last for? And how long will it take for my acne to clear up?

5. If the Benzoyl Peroxide in Proactiv didn't help me, does that mean salicylic acid is better for me?

6. Are there any other products you think are better than 'The Regimen, and 'Zenmed?'

7. If the regimen clears up my skin, will I lose my skin texture? Like become permanently dry or flaky?

8. If 'The Regimen' works, will I have to keep using all the products, or only say the treatment?

9. Is it worth the risk and the money?

Please reply to this, I really need help making my mind up about 'The Regimen.' I hope I explained everything well enough to answer, and please be honest, if 'The Regimen' didn't work for you, please tell me everything in detail!

Thankyou! rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@random1)

Posted : 02/23/2013 1:50 am

I cant really comment on your question 1 since i have never heard of Zenmed, therefore I have no idea what their products are based around.

2. Will 'The Regimen' work on mild to moderate acne, or does my acne need to be severe for this product?

The Regimen has been shown to work on nearly ALL types of Acne. Take a glance at the gallery and you will see.

3. The Regimen has 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide in it, I'm pretty sure that's the same amount Proactiv has in it's products, does that mean it's not going to work, since Proactiv didn't work on me?

Correct me if I'm wrong (really i cant remember) but isn't Proactiv based around a benzoyl peroxide cleanser, rather than an actual topical application treatment. If so, then I do not believe they will work in the same way. The regimen is based around laying BP into your skin.

4. If I do start 'The Regimen,' how long will the breakout stage last for? And how long will it take for my acne to clear up?

This is something you will probably not get a straight answer on since off all the different skin types and also different acne severity there are, but generally in a few weeks (a month just to be average) will it start to clear up. But really like I said it can easily take longer or shorter

5. If the Benzoyl Peroxide in Proactiv didn't help me, does that mean salicylic acid is better for me?

Well, they work by different mechanisms so it is hard to say. It really depends on what your skin takes to. Although I will say this, S.A products are generally marketed and directed for more milder and light types of acne.

6. Are there any other products you think are better than 'The Regimen, and 'Zenmed?'

"better" is kind of a loaded word. Like ive said many times everyones skin can have huge differences. For example, with me my skin cant handle BP or SA, or sulfates, and many other things. My current prescription is, after 7 years of looking, the best thing i have found. But like i say, for instance my product may not work for you

7. If the regimen clears up my skin, will I lose my skin texture? Like become permanently dry or flaky?

No, the skin is hugely pliable and resilient. It will build up tolerance to the BP and change its textures accordingly. That is however, keeping in mind that you also do all you can to minimize any extra dryness or irritation. Basically, its instructed to Reeally moisturize when on the regimen

8. If 'The Regimen' works, will I have to keep using all the products, or only say the treatment?

Personally, I can reccomend both the BP and the cleanser from here at Acne.org. The cleanser is really basic and PH balanced. The BP is made into large quantities and in gel form (which absorbs better).

Acne.org and Dan have made a full 90 day refund policy on any and all products purchased, EVEN if you have used every oz of treatment. Send the bottles empty if you want to !

MT TWO CENTS: Personally I think you should give it a try. With the refund policy they've got you covered financially. The only really thing you can lose is time trying out the product. But really, I think that's what the acne journey consists of: trying out product after product (I know I have) until you find one that it right for you. I have been around the Acne.org community boards enough to know that this product does have a fairly high success rate.

*lol i am in no way endorsed by Acne.org Good luck, any questions just shoot!

MemberMember
(@fitandfresh)

Posted : 02/23/2013 10:50 am

Hi Ange,

I had mild acne but it was still a big deal for me. I started the regimen last summer and I love it. It took about two months for me to be completely clear. Basically when i started using aha, my skin became perfect. I haven't broken out since and have no more discoloration/scars. I love not having to use concealer! You do have to do the regimen exactly as it says though (I also had to learn to sleep on my back because your pillowcase isn't good for your skin hah.)

MemberMember
(@emeraldsky)

Posted : 02/23/2013 2:54 pm

Hi,

Last week this exact day my skin was at one of it's horrible phases. I'd say I have moderate acne. I'm in my late twenties and wear makeup every day to hide my skin and have been on Accutane before which had really worked to bring my acne from severe, to mild or non-existent, but maybe I stopped the accutane to quickly because it kinda creeped back to moderate in the past year.

So last week was a turning point I decided to get serious again about fixing this and found the Regimen and I can't believe how quickly things turned around. So I went and bought Clean & Clear's Blackhead Eraser Scrub that has 2% SA & the Benzagel 5% BP. Now I know everyone says the 2.5% is enough, but I'm just recounting my experience.

So since last Sunday I've been following this to a T, I've been just splashing water on my face twice a day, in the morning and the evening, lightly applying the SA wash, lightly watering it away. Waiting for everything to completely dry and only applying the BP in the evening. About 20 minutes later, I then am using Eucerin replenishing face cream that really fixes your dry skin I find and it's not oily. In the morning after I wash my face, I now can wear BB cream as makeup which makes things a lotttt lighter than foundation and when I get home I immediately do my evening Regimen ritual so the makeup comes off asap.

Like honestly, I can't believe the difference and it has nothing to do with my period because I'm not at that point at all in my cycle. Right now I can't even say I have mild acne, I probably have as much acne as someone who doesn't suffer normally from acne but just has an occasional pimple here and there so this is really giving me hope. My skin is in fact dry, which is to be expected, but it's not enough to show, it just feels dry for me you know? But as soon as I get the Eucerin on it all comes back together nicely. Last Sunday I had the deep pustules and stuff and could see all these budding pimples that had me thinking I was doomed for another couple of months...

So yeah! I'd say it's at least worth a try!

MemberMember
(@wot-once-woz)

Posted : 02/24/2013 5:35 am

Well I've used the regiment since 2006 when I stumbled across this site just browsing around for a solution to all my troubles. Lucky enough I found it. Off course I also found new troubles along the way but that's another story altogether.

Anyway, I followed dans regiment to the letter for over 2 years before I started experimenting. Mostly by accidents really but the experiments worked also and I managed to stay clear without the reg since 2009 now.

But yes, the regiment is definitely worth it. Follow it to the letter and use plenty of benzoyle peroxide and it should work. I had moderate and life destroying acne and it cleared me up completely.

The only things to be aware of is the dryness and flakes and benzoyle peroxide side effects in general. But use a good moisturiser and perhaps jojoba oil which I highly recommend and you should be OK.

It will take a while initially however. Give it a few weeks before it all comes down. The benzoyle peroxide can initially bring out more acne to the surface for new first time users. That's normal. It will clear in time if you stick with it. And your skin will get better if you follow the instructions as advised. Cleanse using a suitable cleanser and use hot water. Do not over irritate your skin, do not constantly touch and wipe it too much. Use lots of BP and equally important...wait for it to absorb fully. Sometimes can take 15 minutes or more. Then moisturise generously. If the moisturiser does not work then try a different one. Also be careful what moisturiser you use. Check the ingredients and make sure it won't clog your pores, as some can do.

Also be aware that everyones skin is different so they react differently. Some products may work for some and not for others. For example. I used brevoxyl 4% for all my years on the regiment. Its never failed me. I tried dans BP sometime in late 2007 I think. Can't remember precisely. But it did not work good for me. Perhaps an ingredient which caused an allergic reaction at the time. I don't know. I went back to brevoxyl. I was just experimenting with a lower dosage BP and I did not like it. However many others highly recommend dans BP. It works well for a lot of people. So my point is, do not be afraid to try different brands of benzoyle peroxide to find what's best for you. Some like gels, some like creams. It depends on what's best for your skin. Same with moisturisers. Some work well for some people and not for others. I had issues with eucerin mosituriser which broke me out. But I also know that it worked well for a lot of people on here.

MemberMember
(@ange978)

Posted : 02/24/2013 10:59 pm

Thank-you everyone for your answers and feedback! Very much appreciated! :)

MemberMember
(@ange978)

Posted : 02/24/2013 11:34 pm

Hi,

Last week this exact day my skin was at one of it's horrible phases. I'd say I have moderate acne. I'm in my late twenties and wear makeup every day to hide my skin and have been on Accutane before which had really worked to bring my acne from severe, to mild or non-existent, but maybe I stopped the accutane to quickly because it kinda creeped back to moderate in the past year.

So last week was a turning point I decided to get serious again about fixing this and found the Regimen and I can't believe how quickly things turned around. So I went and bought Clean & Clear's Blackhead Eraser Scrub that has 2% SA & the Benzagel 5% BP. Now I know everyone says the 2.5% is enough, but I'm just recounting my experience.

So since last Sunday I've been following this to a T, I've been just splashing water on my face twice a day, in the morning and the evening, lightly applying the SA wash, lightly watering it away. Waiting for everything to completely dry and only applying the BP in the evening. About 20 minutes later, I then am using Eucerin replenishing face cream that really fixes your dry skin I find and it's not oily. In the morning after I wash my face, I now can wear BB cream as makeup which makes things a lotttt lighter than foundation and when I get home I immediately do my evening Regimen ritual so the makeup comes off asap.

Like honestly, I can't believe the difference and it has nothing to do with my period because I'm not at that point at all in my cycle. Right now I can't even say I have mild acne, I probably have as much acne as someone who doesn't suffer normally from acne but just has an occasional pimple here and there so this is really giving me hope. My skin is in fact dry, which is to be expected, but it's not enough to show, it just feels dry for me you know? But as soon as I get the Eucerin on it all comes back together nicely. Last Sunday I had the deep pustules and stuff and could see all these budding pimples that had me thinking I was doomed for another couple of months...

So yeah! I'd say it's at least worth a try!

Thank-you so much for you post! It helped a lot! I know this is off topic but, I'm in high school and wear concealer to hide my pimples and scarring, but even that flakes off! It's so embaressing and noticeable. I feel like people notice but they don't say anything about it, and especially on a hot day, my concealer flakes! :o All thanks to Proactiv which (btw didn't even work.) I exfoliate, use the clarisonic mia and mosturize every morning and night, but nothing helps. I don't even have that top layer of flawless, clear and soft skin, it's gone all I have left is rough, bumpy, hard, flaky, like ruined skin. Those models in magazines have the flawless top layer, and I know they wear makeup, but it's so clear and soft. I've lost the texture of my skin, any ideas on how to get it back? :) Haha. Anyways I read that you use Clean and Clear's blackhead scrub, I'm new at this, so you don't use The Regimen's cleanser? Are we supposed to buy our own and only use the BP treatment and mosturizer? Thanks so much! I hope you can answer this question as well! :)

MemberMember
(@emeraldsky)

Posted : 02/25/2013 7:25 pm

Hey Ange,

As far as the appearance of your skin and wearing makeup goes, to be totally honest, makeup can only do so much. I think however that over the years I've become some sort of an expert in the matter and let's face it, if your face looks horrible, you're not gonna go outside without covering it up, I know.

Now if you are going to be wearing makeup though, I'd suggest Cover girl's clean makeup, but really, just look for makeup that says non-comedogenic, water-based, non-oily... look for those words. The Regimen works I find because you're not being harsh with your skin, you're letting it heal itself so I'd skip any exfoliations since the SA wash basically exfoliates your skin. Since I stopped exfoliating, I've found any active sores/pimples on my face healed 10X faster, and the BP prevents new ones from forming. You can find your own products as the Regimen states, as long as they have the ingredients suggested.

When you get home, immediately take off the makeup, there cannot be one night where you go to sleep with your makeup on, I can't stress that enough. Also, try very minimal makeup whenever possible (weekends, vacation, whenever you're not really going anywhere you will be seen).

The way I put my makeup on for it to look smooth is I make sure I have absolutely clean skin, and apply moisturizer (find a non-oily, facial moisturizer). Don't put much, just enough to revive your dry skin, a few pea size amounts here and there and wait about 5 minutes for it to absorb into the skin. Then, I pour some foundation on the top of my hand and dip a "stippling" brush in it and just dab the foundation lightly over my face, starting with the center on the cheeks, then the chin, the jawline, the forehead so you kinda dot the foundation all over. Then, you can restart but this time you'll be doing small circular motions with the brush to blend the foundation everywhere. You'll notice the brush has a white tip, you basically don't want to press hard on this brush, just very small circular motions so that the white tip does all the work. Take as much time as needed to do the whole face. If you youtube "stippling foundation" you'll fin tutorials on how to do this, it really is the nicest way to apply makeup I find. When you're done though, just applying liquid foundation looks a bit dry and lifeless when you're done so you want to bring it back to life a bit. Make sure this initial layer of foundation is somewhat dry, you can blot it with tissue if needed. Then, if you must use concealer, now is the time to use it. I use Ecotools liquid foundation brush with "Lise Watier portfolio" which is a cream concealer. Blend any concealer where you have problem areas but in all honesty, the less concealer you use, the less it will show at the end, try to be very subtle here and blend blend blend. Next, if you want to start contouring, look into tutorials about how that's done depending on your face. What I do, is I take my bronzer, use a blush brush and just apply bronzer under my cheek bones (if you do a fish face you'll see the shadowy area where it should be applied), I blend it up to the outer corners of my forehead, apply some under my jawline, you want to make yourself look fierce, add a bit of definition to your face. Then, just a bit of blush on the cheeks, and my favorite : Physicians Formula - Mineral Glow Pearls- Translucent Pearls which you can get at WalMart. Mineral glow transluscent powder will really give you that glow on the cheekbones that brings your skin to life. Only apply it to the top of your cheekbones brushing upward toward the top of your eyebrows, not all over or it'll make you look shiny and not glowy. Now, if you really want to top everything off, you can get something to set everything so it doesn't slide towards the middle of the day (you know what I mean...). I swear by Urban Decay's de-slick oil control makeup setting spray... it's pretty expensive though but your makeup stays fresh all day. You can also find a nice translucent loose powder (neverr compact powders, it might look good at first but that'll end up looking cakey), just brush the translucent powder all over your face lightly to set things in.

This is yearrrsss of makeup experience talking here lol. For makeup to look good, you need to enjoy your makeup routine, have fun and take time to practice at home until you're getting good at mastering the art of not putting A LOT of makeup on, but finding ways to use your tools and products so they hide your problems just enough, and enhance your beautiful features a whole LOT! :)

I hope I've given you a few techniques to try out!

MemberMember
(@kaslitsa)

Posted : 02/27/2013 10:18 am

Ange!

YES! I am 25 (turning 26) and have moderate- severe acne for 10 years (plus rosecea) and have tried every drug store, prescription cocktail prescribed or recommended, and this has worked perfectly with a couple of modifications.

I tried using the complete regimen, which had little effect- so i modified it- I have pretty dry skin.

The past 4 months i have seen a major difference in my skin, completely clear!! for once in my life (besides the occasion small breakout around my period.

I use cetaphil to wash my face both day and night, followed by the regimen "treatment". Then in the morning i put on CeraVe lotion, at night i don't.

During the day i too wear make up to even out my skin tone (still have rosecea and acne scarring) for that i use neutrogena concealer (which is made for under eye circles, but i used it to cover anything/everything), following by mixing two "foundations" almay and neutrogena(they are both pumps "skin clearing" make up.

Hope this helps! best of luck!

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/27/2013 11:57 am

I will answer in red:

Never heard of Zenmed. But if you are looking for something to try, try the regimen. BUT (important)--only do it if you are ready to follow the instructions exactly. I find that is the only way it works. (extremely gentle washing and application, not touching your face, etc)

If it could help ease my severe, cystic acne, it could help anyone's skin.

Nope. I also tried Proactiv for a period of 6 months or more and it did absolutely nothing for me. The regimen significantly improved my acne within a couple of months. Proactive does use the same medications, but the application process is completely different. For example, the proactiv system cleanser has little scrubby things in it to help exfoliate your skin. An important part of Dan's regimen is to NEVER scrub your face.

I started last monday and had a bad initial breakout. but I think it was only because I had done a chemical peel a few days before that and my skin was very irritated. Plus I was still loading up on fermented foods at the time, which I now have quit because I think they make my breakouts worse. Every day I do the regimen now, I am seeing improvements and less pain/inflammation. And technically, I'm not even doing the regimen right because I'm still waiting on my order of new products. As of now I'm just washing with soap, using the treatment and moisturizing with grapeseed oil. I feel that when the PH balanced cleanser and lotion arrive, I'll see even more improvements, since those are formulated specifically for acne-prone skin.

(By the way-- I'm not actually a newbie to the regimen. This is my third time doing it. I quit all of last year because I was stupidly determined to only use "natural" things to help my acne. Worse choice ever--acne came back with a vengeance and I decided to start the regimen again)

I've never had luck with SA--always burned the shit out of my skin and never helped acne. *shrugs* Everyone is different though.

Honestly, no. These are the best products I've ever found.

It does accelerate aging a little, but that's just life. Deep, pitted acne scars make you age even worse so for me it's a fair trade off. Any negative effects to your skin can (I believe) be made up for by really pampering yourself with lots of jojoba, grapeseed, argan or other nutrient-rich oils along with your lotion. Of course diet and lifestyle are important also. Something else to consider is that worrying about acne is very stressful and aging to you. When I do the regimen, I feel like my skin is always receiving the medication it needs throughout the day, so I only have to think about it twice each day (while doing the routine). When I wasn't on the regimen, I would always feel my face breaking out throughout the day and constantly be stressing over what to do next. Life is too short.

You will always want a good face wash and moisturizer to use, whether it be Dans or something from another brand. The way I feel is that you might as well use Dans because 1) you're supporting this site, which is a Godsend to many people 2) The products work and are all formulated to go together 4) They are affordable as most other stuff, if not more. But you might be able to get away with just using soap as a cleanse and oil as a moisturizer. The last time I was doing the regimen, I did that when I ran out of the cleanser and lotion and it worked okay. But at that point, I was already pretty clear and just doing maintenance. In the beginning, I'd try using all of the products from the line.

If I could add up all the money I've spent on supplements, foods, time off work to fast/do crazy cleanses, other lotions/oils/treatments, and everything else I've done during the times I wasn't doing the regimen, it would probably be a WAY bigger amount than what I've spent times I was on the regimen. It really isn't that much money when you consider the time and peace of mind and everything else you'll save.

Good luck!