Notifications
Clear all

Sudden Hormonal Acne In Adulthood...on Ortho Tri Cyclen.

MemberMember
(@shannanigunz)

Posted : 01/23/2013 3:11 pm

Hello all. This is my first post here. Sorry if it's a little lengthy.

So I am a few days away from being 25, and I have been experiencing sudden adult acne for about 6 months now. Acne was NEVER a problem for me before. I went through highschool completely untouched by the throws of puberty, luckily.

Those were the days...

I was on the Ortho Evra BC Patch since age 14, due to bad periods. Insurance stopped covering them so my doctor put me on the pill. I was on Nekon for about 2 years.

About 4 months ago, I went to my doctor, complaining about mild breakouts and headaches, my doctor suggested that I may need to adjust my hormones, so she put me on Ortho Tri Cyclen.

I was fine until month 2 rolled around. My face BLEW UP! I had never had acne like this before. I'm assuming this is the "initial breakout" that people talk about. It ranged from tiny bumps all over my jaw and chin, to larger, cystic-like bumps on my lowwer cheeks. At one point I had to call out of work because I couldn't bare the shame of my appearance, and makeup was not an option as it hurt to touch my face. I even went to sentara and had the E.R. doctor prescribe me something topical (bactroban) to relieve irritation.

It worked for the most part, but I know your skin's bacteria will build a tolerance to topical antibacterials so I discontinued use after my pain went away from that particular breakout.

Slowly but surely, my acne started getting better. I'm in the middle of the 4th month now and I still have bumps on my jaw/chin and a few large scars. I currently have one active large breakout, which is now a giant scab because I picked at it like an idiot.

My face is still not as good as it was before I started using Ortho Tri Cyclen BCP.

I'm afraid of messing with my hormones anymore, so I haven't switched. Though I've thought about it many, many times.

I have read a lot of reviews saying that their skin cleared between the 4-6 month mark. I'm approaching month 5 in a couple of weeks and am unsure if I should stick with it or switch to something else.

Like I said, my skin wasn't this bad before taking Ortho Tri. but I can see it slowly getting better, compared to my IB.

I'm really confused, and desperate for answers. My self esteem, job, school, and relationship has suffered because of my skin. Lots and lots of tears.

I have my first EVER dermatologist appointment next Friday. I'm staying away from anything else oral, and only asking for topical prescriptions, but would like to avoid anything with an initial purgin process. I can't take another one. I'd rather chew glass.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Sudden adult acne?

How long before your skin was clear after starting Ortho Tri Cyclen?

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/23/2013 3:52 pm

I just want to say I know exactly how you feel with going through high school and puberty without a trouble with acne, only to develop it later down the road. It's frustrating and emotionally draining.

Considering you age, it does sound hormonal. Your post intrigued me because I have been on Ortho-tri-cyclen for 4 years now with no problem up until now (I'm around your age as well) and I'm thinking this is a time when our bodys are slowly progressing? I think it's time to find a new hormone balance that is right for you, and the Ortho doesn't sound like it's cutting it. Since Ortho is a low does of estrogen perhaps you need one that has a little bit more? Or a steady balance of hormones instead of one that increases each week?

Hoots

MemberMember
(@ana17925)

Posted : 01/23/2013 4:00 pm

I'm on Mirena and I have been having more breakouts since getting it. I really love the pros of having this birth control so I just cannot let it go, even though I get more acne. I used to be on Ortho Tri "Craplen" too and had horrible breakouts. I also had bad mood swings wile taking that poison. You could try to take anti bacterial pills (I took monocycline) which help somewhat. However, if you are really miserable, you are better off getting off hormonal birth control and getting your skin back.

MemberMember
(@shannanigunz)

Posted : 01/23/2013 5:09 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback. Yeah I'm really at a crossroads right now. If I do switch birth control, it will be back to something that doesn't increase hormone levels every week. I'm waiting it out for the 6 months though. I can see a slow improvement since my IB. But one more breakout and its back to the drawing board...

Hopefully will have more answers after I see the seem next week.

Will keep posting my progress!!

Also, has anyone tried vitamin A?? I've read on that a little bit and people suggest coupling a vitamin supplement with high amounts of A and D instead of an antibiotic, as to not decrease the effectiveness of the actual birth control contraceptive.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/23/2013 8:06 pm

Ortho Tri Cyclen was one of the first birth controls shown to help acne. However...it is not nearly as good as newer anti-acne BCs like Yaz or Dianette.

Also, many have mentioned that the generics of Ortho Tri Cyclen (Trinessa, Tri Sprintec, etc.) are not as good as the brand name.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/24/2013 11:40 am

ugh i took ortho as well and never had luck with it. tri-sprintec and tri-nessa were even worse. i think its because its a triphasic pill and not a monophasic one.

MemberMember
(@shannanigunz)

Posted : 01/24/2013 12:42 pm

@tracy how long were you on ortho tri cyclen before you realized it didn't work? Did it make your face worse/better/no effect?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/24/2013 4:30 pm

i was on it for years probably almost 11 years. i always had acne and never really thought that the pill was causing it until i stopped taking it back in 2008. i was clear for a good 2 years before i started breaking out again but for me birth control made my acne way worse. i am on spiro now so i am hoping it starts to work soon or its accutane for me.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/24/2013 8:01 pm

Yeah you know I was on the pill for 12 years. Granted it was NOT a good kind for acne and I had no idea of this - the internet wasn't as big when I was in college so I was very uninformed. My acne started getting bad about 2 years into birth control, and now I have had problems ever since...even coming off of it. It's interesting because female adult acne is such a common problem. I wonder if anyone has looked at whether these women have all been on birth control pills...

MemberMember
(@shannanigunz)

Posted : 01/25/2013 1:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Will def be talking to my doctor soon if this doesn't get better. I know everyone's different...ugh...as they always say. But I'm not going to let this stuff stay in my system if I don't see an improvement soon. Hoping for the best, though.

MemberMember
(@sarai88)

Posted : 08/29/2013 11:44 pm

Hi @shannanigunz,

I am also having the same problem. I started taking ortho tri cyclen because I was have small breakouts. Going into the second month I started to get small bumps along the jaw line as well. After that they I started to get cystic acne all along the jawline. Now it's going on to my cheeks. I know how you feel:( I feel so horrible.

I'm on my 3rd month and no improvement. Did you're eventually improve? Or did you have to get off OTC? Please let me know, because I'm about to stop taking it, if it gets any worse. I feel like I can't even be seen by people.

Thank you

MemberMember
(@seriberi3)

Posted : 07/17/2014 10:24 am

Hi @shannanigunz

I know this is way after your initial post, but I'm just wondering how ortho ended up being for you? I am currently on ortho lo, one week from the end if my third month and my face is a mess!! My face was mild before bc but is now pretty moderate to severe. Just wondering if I should quit it. This acne is affecting everything I do!! I'm 29 with adult acne btw.