Notifications
Clear all

Vitex: How Long Do The Effects Last?

MemberMember
(@firefox1476)

Posted : 01/07/2013 7:56 pm

Hey there, people. In a nutshell, I'm wondering how long the effects of vitex last after you've stopped taking it.

Some background: I started taking vitex about two months ago to mitigate some post-menstrual issues I was having. About a week after I started taking it, I started breaking out horribly on my chin and jawline. On top of this, I started getting debilitating headaches, anxiety, and excess hair growth. None of this was remotely normal for me, so after a few more weeks, I stopped taking the vitex. Nearly four weeks later, the acne is very much worse, and I am now also getting some body acne. Given that almost all of the acne on my face is concentrated on my chin, the entire area is raw and will probably scar.

Has anyone had a similar experience? For those of you who've taken it and stopped, did you find that your body sort of returned to its previous norms on its own?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/13/2013 12:23 pm

Hey there, people. In a nutshell, I'm wondering how long the effects of vitex last after you've stopped taking it.

Some background: I started taking vitex about two months ago to mitigate some post-menstrual issues I was having. About a week after I started taking it, I started breaking out horribly on my chin and jawline. On top of this, I started getting debilitating headaches, anxiety, and excess hair growth. None of this was remotely normal for me, so after a few more weeks, I stopped taking the vitex. Nearly four weeks later, the acne is very much worse, and I am now also getting some body acne. Given that almost all of the acne on my face is concentrated on my chin, the entire area is raw and will probably scar.

Has anyone had a similar experience? For those of you who've taken it and stopped, did you find that your body sort of returned to its previous norms on its own?

Hey, I posted a similar thread and received useful answers. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/324628-vitex-agnus-castus-evening-primrose-side-effects/

I would suggest getting your hormones checked first before trying any hormone-regulating herbal treatments because vitex doesn't work for all hormonal imbalances. I personally had success with vitex in combination with evening primrose oil and probiotics for about a year, but I had excess hair growth too. The second time I tried vitex I had temporary results (in combination with a gluten-free diet), but then I started getting flare ups (mine mostly on the lower cheeks of my face) and some hives so I reduced the dosage and then stopped altogether. I think that even if it's not working for you, you should have gradually reduced the dosage before completely stopping so as not to cause more hormonal imbalances, unless you suspect an allergic reaction. I think your body is still getting used to all the changes. In the thread I posted, saw palmetto was one of the recommendations for countering estrogen dominance.

Oh, I just went back to that thread and saw that you also responded to that one. So, it seems like you already know a lot about vitex side effects.

MemberMember
(@firefox1476)

Posted : 01/15/2013 12:03 pm

Hey, I posted a similar thread and received useful answers. http://www.acne.org/...e-side-effects/

I would suggest getting your hormones checked first before trying any hormone-regulating herbal treatments because vitex doesn't work for all hormonal imbalances. I personally had success with vitex in combination with evening primrose oil and probiotics for about a year, but I had excess hair growth too. The second time I tried vitex I had temporary results (in combination with a gluten-free diet), but then I started getting flare ups (mine mostly on the lower cheeks of my face) and some hives so I reduced the dosage and then stopped altogether. I think that even if it's not working for you, you should have gradually reduced the dosage before completely stopping so as not to cause more hormonal imbalances, unless you suspect an allergic reaction. I think your body is still getting used to all the changes. In the thread I posted, saw palmetto was one of the recommendations for countering estrogen dominance.

Oh, I just went back to that thread and saw that you also responded to that one. So, it seems like you already know a lot about vitex side effects.

Yeah, I know about the side effects. I stopped cold turkey about a month ago, though, and am still seeing side effects. The facial rash/acne is by far the worst, and the others (anxiety, migraines, etc.) are becoming less frequent and lessening in severity, but I'm worried that it's taking this long for the vitex to leave my system. Should I expect the side effects to have dissipated by now? Will they go away soon? I really can't find any solid answers anywhere, which is really frustrating. I really don't want this to be permanent, and I don't know of a way to fix it without just waiting (I'm avoiding all other holistic remedies like the plague).

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/15/2013 3:09 pm

Hey, I posted a similar thread and received useful answers. http://www.acne.org/...e-side-effects/

Yeah, I know about the side effects. I stopped cold turkey about a month ago, though, and am still seeing side effects. The facial rash/acne is by far the worst, and the others (anxiety, migraines, etc.) are becoming less frequent and lessening in severity, but I'm worried that it's taking this long for the vitex to leave my system. Should I expect the side effects to have dissipated by now? Will they go away soon? I really can't find any solid answers anywhere, which is really frustrating. I really don't want this to be permanent, and I don't know of a way to fix it without just waiting (I'm avoiding all other holistic remedies like the plague).

I wonder if the abrupt stopping of it is what caused more severe symptoms. It's a good sign that some symptoms are becoming less frequent, but if your acne is still persistent it means that the hormonal imbalance is still there. The vitex probably upset your hormone levels and caused an imbalance. I suggest getting your hormone levels checked if the acne is cystic, and then doing a balancing treatment for the hormones that are too high/low. I actually went to see a doctor today and went through my history with vitex and other acne treatments....she said my androgens/ testosterone are probably too high as a result of taking more vitex than my body needed (the facial hair was the main indication), so I'm thinking I may try saw palmetto to achieve hormonal balance. I know you are reluctant to try other herbal treatments (and for good reason), but have you looked into saw palmetto? I'm considering it now, along with doing the candida diet.