Quit The Regimen. N...

Notifications
Clear all

Quit The Regimen. Now Having Trouble Getting Back Onto It. Advice?

MemberMember
(@hadouken998)

Posted : 01/03/2013 7:28 pm

So i used to do the regimen once a day for about 3 years or so and then stopped in summer to see if i had outgrown it. Biggest mistake ever.

So 3 months later my face is the worst it has been and now looks like a pizza and i am trying to get back on the regimen but am having problems.

I start the regimen only using BP at night and the minimal amount and get good results but then about a week or two in i get the reddest rash which appears to be similar to a chemical burn, it stings to apply BP and then i breakout in BIG red underskin spots.

I then take a week off and then try again but seem to be going back in circles.

Any ideas or advice people?

I dont recall having any problems first time round. Only difference is i am using Dans BP instead of Panoxyl as it is now discontinued :( 🙁 :(

MemberMember
(@hadouken998)

Posted : 01/04/2013 10:13 am

Added some photos so people can give me some opinions.

Here is me 23rd december when i was doing the regimen twice a day slapping on the BP about 4 weeks into the regimen. Rookie mistake sad.png Skin was very red an irritated and broke out in cysts. Which i never had a problem with before!!!

Photoon2012-12-23at2035_zpsb46454c1.jpg

I then quit the regimen for a week and used tea tree oil. My skin tone recovered but the cysts that had been going down on the regimen were reactivating.

Photoon2012-12-28at1930_zpscb6a923a.jpg

I then went back onto the regimen once a day using a small amount of BP and moisturiser at night and moisturiser with a drop of Tea Tree Oil in it in the daytime. This is me today, but my face seems to be quite red and on the way to how irritated it was last time.

Photoon2013-01-04at1419_zps19839ca4.jpg

Should i press on with the regimen?? Does my skin look improved?? I'm kinda obsessed with it so fail to see it all objectively. Red marks Everywheeeyyyeeerrre

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 01/04/2013 12:01 pm

Hey Hadouken998...The same thing has happened to me when I've quit the regimen in the past... Basically you are back to the beginning stages of DKR and will have to just grit and bare it for the time being... As with your previous experience, you will go through all the purging/irritation stages once again until DKR begins to take full effect again... When you experience irritation, just truck through... If you must, decrease your BP amounts and double up on moisturizing to combat irritation, but be sure to use DKR twice a day, every day, 10 to 12 hours apart... Your skin will improve once again and you'll be able to get it under control, but you have to remain consistent... Eventually you will be able to return to your previous regimen but you must must must remain consistent... Also, I noticed you added tea tree oil to your morning regimen, please discontinue doing so for the time being... Though tea tree oil has similar results as BP, you don't want to add any additional variables when using DKR... It will further irritation for sure... Don't worry about the red marks, they will fade with time and patience... Just keep your head up and be mindful of the DKR rules and you'll be well on your way to clear skin once again... :) Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress... :)

AyeAye liked
MemberMember
(@hadouken998)

Posted : 01/04/2013 2:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, should i just truck through it? It doesnt seem to be getting any better since i started in late November. Im beginning to get very depressed and sad about my face in general. Tempted just to shell out for accutane on private :( 🙁

MemberMember
(@lorman)

Posted : 01/05/2013 12:41 am

Hi! Your experience seems very similar to mine. I was on the Regimen for close to three years, and it worked very well for me for most of that time. However, towards the end of the third year, I started breaking out a little here and there, and my skin became very sensitive, dry, discolored and dull. It burned like crazy every time I applied the products (including the moisturizer). So I quit cold turkey...HUGE mistake! I experienced the Worst break out of my life; The acne was very severe and covered my entire face, it was so awful. I became very depressed and anxious. So I basically did what you did; I used other products, including tea tree oil, then I went back to the BP but my skin couldn't handle it so I would try something else ( I too, considered Accutane). It was a horrible period of desperation, fear, and confusion...I feel your pain. I never did go back to the Regimen; instead, I decided to cure my acne naturally and have made great progress so far. I'm actually relieved that I'm no longer on the Regimen because even though I was happy that it kept me clear, the idea that I would have to use it forever worried me.

I've been a regular visitor of this site for almost ten years now, and I've read about this same thing happening to lots and lots of other people who have used the Regimen for an extended period. When they quit, their acne comes back with a vengeance. Dan and the moderators may say otherwise, but I truly believe (at least in my case) that this is a side effect of quitting the Regimen or any other product containing Benzoyl Peroxide or strong chemical. You see, your skin is used to a certain environment and it's used to the chemicals it receives everyday and when things suddenly change, it seems to go through withdrawals (kind of like a drug addict who's trying to quit) and it goes haywire and triggers the breakouts. I know I'm no scientist, but this is my simplified explanation for what has happened to me and many others, lol.

Anyways, that's my experience. Good luck with whatever path to clear skin you choose to take! Let me know if you have any questions. smile.png

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 01/06/2013 12:33 pm

Hi! Your experience seems very similar to mine. I was on the Regimen for close to three years, and it worked very well for me for most of that time. However, towards the end of the third year, I started breaking out a little here and there, and my skin became very sensitive, dry, discolored and dull. It burned like crazy every time I applied the products (including the moisturizer). So I quit cold turkey...HUGE mistake! I experienced the Worst break out of my life; The acne was very severe and covered my entire face, it was so awful. I became very depressed and anxious. So I basically did what you did; I used other products, including tea tree oil, then I went back to the BP but my skin couldn't handle it so I would try something else ( I too, considered Accutane). It was a horrible period of desperation, fear, and confusion...I feel your pain. I never did go back to the Regimen; instead, I decided to cure my acne naturally and have made great progress so far. I'm actually relieved that I'm no longer on the Regimen because even though I was happy that it kept me clear, the idea that I would have to use it forever worried me.

I've been a regular visitor of this site for almost ten years now, and I've read about this same thing happening to lots and lots of other people who have used the Regimen for an extended period. When they quit, their acne comes back with a vengeance. Dan and the moderators may say otherwise, but I truly believe (at least in my case) that this is a side effect of quitting the Regimen or any other product containing Benzoyl Peroxide or strong chemical. You see, your skin is used to a certain environment and it's used to the chemicals it receives everyday and when things suddenly change, it seems to go through withdrawals (kind of like a drug addict who's trying to quit) and it goes haywire and triggers the breakouts. I know I'm no scientist, but this is my simplified explanation for what has happened to me and many others, lol.

Anyways, that's my experience. Good luck with whatever path to clear skin you choose to take! Let me know if you have any questions. smile.png

Both times I have gone off BP my acne has come back worse than it ever was before BP. I am now at a point of trying to decide if I should use BP again (because nothing else works and although BP only helps and doesn't cure me--that's still better than how I'm living now). I've tried every diet/holistic/natural thing possible and NOTHING works. It would really suck to go back on BP knowing what happens when you try to come off. But I may do it anyway.

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 01/07/2013 9:26 am

Thanks for the reply, should i just truck through it? It doesnt seem to be getting any better since i started in late November. Im beginning to get very depressed and sad about my face in general. Tempted just to shell out for accutane on private sad.pngsad.png

Yes, you should continue to truck on through... I guarantee it will get better... :) I've used DKR on and off since around 2006 and it's only worked when I've been absolutely consistent with using it... Yes, I can skip an application and just gentle clean and moisturize but the next application time, I'm back on it... The last time that I finally decided enough was enough and I was going to stick through it no matter what, it took about 16 weeks to see definitive results and consistent clearing... Yes, I went through a rough purging period that I thought would never subside but it eventually it did... The further from the 16 week mark I was, the clearer my skin became because I remained consistent NO MATTER WHAT! A year later and I'm happy to say my skin is gorgeous and clear because I'm consistent, try my best not to irritate my skin, and I listen to my skin and body... It took close to 10 months to get off a 2 pump BP application before I could scale down but the irritation went down and my complexion improved... Add AHA to the mix and my complexion is amazing! Trust me, you'll survive if you just remain consistent and follow DKR to the T... :)