Has Acne Ruined You...

Notifications
Clear all

Has Acne Ruined Your Life And Career?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 12/31/2012 9:10 pm

I posted on this forum specifically because its for people with acne 25 and over. I'm turning 27 this year. I never had a job before in my life. I have graduated college with a degree but never bothered looking for a job. The reason for this is because i used to play poker as my income for a bit before things went sour. However as a result i never bothered looking for a job because i have anxiety. The main reason for this is because of my acne and i read how acne causes anxiety which is true. I remembered how back when i was in college, i missed some classes because of how bad my acne was and thus stayed inside. I been staying inside so much inside my home because i dont want to leave the house as my acne has reappeared again and made me really depressed.

I know acne has ruined a lot of ppls social lives as it did when i was in college and when my acne went away few years ago i was so relieved. I read about the young ppl who stay inside because of acne and read about ppl here who dropped out of school because of it. I felt that way as well when i was younger but i never dropped out... i basically missed many days of classes.

My acne back then was moderate and a little bit close to severe. Now my acne is back to moderate but the biggest problem for me is i always have red marks that look worst than acne. I had this problem back a few years ago as well.

I would like to know is there anyone here that is at least 25 and over that just stays at home and never look for a job or anything like that DUE TO ACNE OR RED MARKS? I know there are ppl who are just depressed etc and have stuff like social anxiety and never get a job and i read about ppl like this in forums like socialanxiety.com but I'm talking about acne just prevented you from even looking for a job.

Because i know there are tons of ppl like this that are in their early 20s etc but its not big problem because you still are young. I'm talking about ppl who are 25+ and basically just do nothing with their lives due to acne. It could also be like if you work a job but then quit because your acne got so bad you dont even want to go outside.

I'm very curious if i'm one of the few like this that are 25+.

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 01/01/2013 9:55 am

Yeah.

I worked in Investment Banking and quit when I couldn't handle my acne.

Now I just work 6-12 month contract jobs so I'm never more than a few months away from having some downtime if I need it incase my acne flares up.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/01/2013 6:26 pm

13yearsofacne how old are you? Are you male or female?

Any other stories here?

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 01/01/2013 6:30 pm

Yeah... 29 and suffered for (counts in head) 15 years and counting.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/01/2013 6:36 pm

doodleme123, do you have a job??

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 01/01/2013 6:43 pm

Nope, just lost it. It wasn't because of acne, but acne did make it a whole lot worse. And the job I had before it, even worse. I think about acne literally all the time, and that does stop me from doing things.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/01/2013 6:47 pm

Do you have tough time looking for another job because of it? What sucks is acne prevents a lot of young people from going outside and i had this expeirence but the fact that i still have it at 26 just makes me so depressed bc im staying in everyday because of it.

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 01/01/2013 6:50 pm

Sort of, but I know I have to find another job. But I do stay indoors a lot because of it, for the exact same reasons as you. I'm also a very depressed person because of it. Imagine the whole world had acne, it would be so much easier to walk outside everyday.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/01/2013 7:00 pm

Yea acne sucks. By the way, do you get any red marks from it? How bad is your acne? Is it moderate or is it severe? The thing is i get acne but it goes away after a while but i get those red and brown marks that stay on my face for a long long time. So if you look at my face, to soemeone that doesnt know much about acne... they would say they are acne as oppose to red marks.

Also by any chance do you have social anxiety??

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 01/01/2013 7:01 pm

All kinds of things, really. Red marks/blemishes/uneven tone, spots, dull/gray skin.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/01/2013 7:35 pm

by any chance do you have social anxiety?

MemberMember
(@pugrocker)

Posted : 01/01/2013 8:06 pm

41 year old here and I play in a band and work at a recording studio, so acne really makes it so damn uncomfortable. Making a Derm appointment tomorrow to try and get more help with this nasty pimple plague. It has also given me social anxiety and in my line of work and play, there isn't any room for that, so it really sucks gutter trash ass! crazy.gif

MemberMember
(@ledzep)

Posted : 01/02/2013 6:34 am

I'm 25, had acne for 10 years. I've managed to get it under control for the most part in the last 6 months, having gone through accutane and made certain dietary revisions. I've had several jobs in my life and I did definitely quit one of them due to acne. I was 18 and was working in retail and aside from the mind-numbing tedium of the job I just couldn't bear to have my skin bathed in that harsh fluorescent lighting, where my cystic acne just looked dreadful. I've had to fight anxiety and depression relating from acne for most of my adult life, and I guess aside from my career I've let it effect my relationships with other people. I've met several people who I could have potentially had a very promising long-term relationship with, but I always seemed to let my anxiety get the better of me and I always ran away from the relationship, leaving the other person hurt and confused. I really, really regret doing that.

Recently I've had to reflect on where my life is going as I'm sick and tired of having all this potential and never doing anything with it. So I decided to train as a teacher in the UK which certainly brings it's own challenges. My first day I had a cystic breakout and I had to fight waves of anxiety and nausea going into the classroom to teach. But I got through it and I will continue to pursue my course and get my life back on track. Much of life is difficult and having acne certainly doesn't make it easier, but we all need to find that strength somewhere to carry on. Confidence and the knowledge that you alone are in control of your life are the rewards that facing acne can bring.

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 01/02/2013 3:45 pm

by any chance do you have social anxiety?

Yeah, for sure.