Notifications
Clear all

Get A Grip People!

MemberMember
(@card27)

Posted : 12/28/2012 12:48 am

Now in no way am I trying to offend anyone with is topic.

All I'm trying to say is some people are so self loathing. I completely understand when they say their insecure about their skin and all, but whining about it is not going to do anything for you or your skin.

I was the same way when my acne got worse on my second course of Accutane. I hated going out cause of my skin but it healed from a few red marks to almost perfect skin.

I was able to get the even skin tone by leaving my skin alone and just focusing on other more important stuff in life.

Seriousy, there are sooo many worse diseases out there. We should be blessed to have good health and could breathe for each day.

Try and remember that acne is temporary and maybe not the scars but they aren't physcially holding you back on enjoying life. You are.

Changing our perspective on ourselves and others is the first step to accept that not everything is in our control.

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 12/28/2012 1:27 am

You are, of course, right. Although, I think we have to remember that many people on this board do try.. myself included. Many, many people here painstakingly watch their diet and the products they put on their skin, and still some of them don't see results. I think that's mainly what most people are frustrated about. It's not really even about having PERFECT skin. It's just about wanting to look at least decent or normal. I take care of my skin, I try to feel good about myself and then I just catch my reflection in a mirror and I look hideous.

I know I'm kind of missing your point lol, and life IS so much more than just skin but I feel like it's unfair how many good people are denied the simple, basic luxury of having normal skin. I think everyone acknowledges and is aware of diseases that are much worse than acne out there, but it doesn't underscore the impact of it.

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 12/28/2012 1:53 am

We all have to remember we aren't alone, i didn't want to go to six flags today because I have 2 small zits I'm crying about just 2 pimples I said to myself you need to get your shit together and not let it hold you back.

To my surprise almost everyones skin had a few zits my acne is very light fyi...my point here is that there is other people out there with same or worst acne and they ain't holding back on hanging out , fun etc.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 12/28/2012 6:10 am

If one more person pulls the "you could have a worse disease" card, I swear I'm going to bash my head into the pavement. I do suffer from worse diseases aside from acne and have all my life. I almost lost my life when I was younger due to my auto immune disease shutting down my immune system and causing terrible systematic infections in my body. But even if I hadn't, the whole "you could have it worse" mentality just depresses me, personally. Thinking about how people have it worse, or how worse things can happen to me, does not make me feel more positive. It just makes me miserable about the world in general.

Some of us are also suffering from serious mental illnesses such as depression, eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorder. These things can involve real chemical imbalances in the brain and we can't always just "get a grip." We aren't whining. We are coming together to talk and receive support. Please keep that in mind.

I do agree with your overall positive message though, and thank you. smile.png

MemberMember
(@tuffluck)

Posted : 12/28/2012 6:33 pm

Its very easy for people who have overcome acne to give such advice. I notice that everyone on this forum that goes the "it could be worse route" have generally overcome acne and are not suffering horribly like some.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 12/28/2012 7:08 pm

It depends on the severity you say you only had a few red marks try walkin around with 21-31 cyst on each side of your face and trying to enjoy your life. I tried it, it wasn't so fuckin easy, I found this site and thanks to the bitching and moaning of my posts I found something that has helped my acne tremendously. Isn't this what this site is for? Its an acne site and you don't expect people to complain about acne? Dude your lucky all you had was red marks I wish I could switch shoes with you so you could understand were im coming from anyways I encourage bitching and moaning of their acne, it's better to spit it out then to keep it bottled up. Just my worthless opinion.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/28/2012 7:20 pm

It depends on the severity you say you only had a few red marks try walkin around with 21-31 cyst on each side of your face and trying to enjoy your life. I tried it, it wasn't so fuckin easy, I found this site and thanks to the bitching and moaning of my posts I found something that has helped my acne tremendously. Isn't this what this site is for? Its an acne site and you don't expect people to complain about acne? Dude your lucky all you had was red marks I wish I could switch shoes with you so you could understand were im coming from anyways I encourage bitching and moaning of their acne, it's better to spit it out then to keep it bottled up. Just my worthless opinion.

Amen Brother! Acne fucking sucks. People staring at you fucking sucks. Running into that Bitch from High school and you STILL look like you've been beaten with the puberty stick fucking sucks! Telling me that "It could be worse" pisses me the fuck off! Yes, I could be dying, Yes I could be horribly disfigured in a fire. Thankfully I am not. But I am ashamed of my face, I am in physical and emotional pain, and I am NOT okay with it.

No, I don't hole up in my house and avoid people, but I do put on a mask everyday to go outside. If I was a man, I'd grow a beard to cover my shame. I wear my hair down to hide my skin. I am 30 years old. These are supposed to be the most confident years of my life, and I'm hiding. I have friends, I'm social, but every event and interaction is colored by my acne. It's not fair, and if we can't come to these boards and lean on each other without some self-righteous idiot telling us its not the end of the world, where can we go??? It's not like I'm putting this crap on my fb page or twitter feed.

MemberMember
(@card27)

Posted : 12/28/2012 7:28 pm

Ok I just want to say I'm sorry. I guess I should of worded my "rant" more appropriate. I guess what I trying to say is having a positive may help bring a positive outcome to a negative issue whether that be your skin or other illness. Even when I had light acne, I was still insecure cause its sucks having it whether its light or severe. What's weird is even me who was able to heal my skin, I still feel like the guy with acne. I guess acne left me with emotional scars.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 12/28/2012 9:21 pm

It really does. You don't have to say sorry. I really do get the point you're making. We're just so depressed and frustrated around these parts, lol. :D

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 12/28/2012 11:37 pm

I completely agree with this topic, but i wouldn't call myself a whiner. Simply a frustrated guy that really tries to take care of his skin , but only has acne and scars to show for it while everyone around him has the skin of a god

I know what you mean tho

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/29/2012 12:27 am

Ok I just want to say I'm sorry. I guess I should of worded my "rant" more appropriate. I guess what I trying to say is having a positive may help bring a positive outcome to a negative issue whether that be your skin or other illness. Even when I had light acne, I was still insecure cause its sucks having it whether its light or severe. What's weird is even me who was able to heal my skin, I still feel like the guy with acne. I guess acne left me with emotional scars.

'Kay, I'm sorry for my return rant. I read your post after finding out I now have peri oral dermatitis and contact dermatitis on my neck, more meds! Yay. I do see what your saying now that I'm less emotional.

MemberMember
(@laurag)

Posted : 12/31/2012 6:30 am

Don't expect a reply from.this or anything but I always try and think get a grip then i catch someone staring at me from across the street and immediately i think they're looking at my skin and how disgusting it is. I know they're probably not but its hard to hold your head up when groups of people laugh at you as you pass. Today has been particularly bad as you can probably tell. It was all getting better then I got orange scabs after sun bathing for a day and bother. Now its weeping and red and urgh. Just very bored of constantly worrying about how ugly.I feel and look. any tips on overcoming this silly restricting mindset? I really want to be able.to get a grip. Please help! If you want :)

MemberMember
(@livinglou92)

Posted : 12/31/2012 7:20 am

Don't expect a reply from.this or anything but I always try and think get a grip then i catch someone staring at me from across the street and immediately i think they're looking at my skin and how disgusting it is. I know they're probably not but its hard to hold your head up when groups of people laugh at you as you pass. Today has been particularly bad as you can probably tell. It was all getting better then I got orange scabs after sun bathing for a day and bother. Now its weeping and red and urgh. Just very bored of constantly worrying about how ugly.I feel and look. any tips on overcoming this silly restricting mindset? I really want to be able.to get a grip. Please help! If you want smile.png

Laurag i know exactly how u feel. i often feel people are staring everytime im on the train headed to work, it sucks and makes me feel ugly. i got a new zit just the other morning and it grew which brought me down and now its new years eve and i gotta go to a party like this it makes me feel horrific. So your not alone its not silly to feel that way...to overcome it though i thnk its about focusing on the things that make u different in good ways and your good features. try to think about wat ur good at and wat makes u beautiful. and when people stare just try not to pay attention they r just people that dont matter anyway. Hope this helps! :)

MemberMember
(@laurag)

Posted : 12/31/2012 9:45 am

Thanks definitely helps to actually hear that you're not alone rather than just imagining it. Good luck at your party! I'm sure you'll look great

MemberMember
(@card27)

Posted : 12/31/2012 6:09 pm

I feel bad for putting get a grip to people. I was ignorant to put that and expected people with worse acne to just agree. I shouldn't tell people with acne to get a grip when my acne is nonexistent. It's not fair and now I see that. Sorry again guys

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 01/10/2013 7:25 pm

I feel bad for putting get a grip to people. I was ignorant to put that and expected people with worse acne to just agree. I shouldn't tell people with acne to get a grip when my acne is nonexistent. It's not fair and now I see that. Sorry again guys

I'm sure everyone knew what you meant, at least to an extent smile.png. For example, people who have just as much acne as myself tend to go overboard, even by my standards. I find myself annoyed trying to calm them down so much, but I would never ignore their emotions or state of thought. Some people are fortunate, some aren't. It's just that everyone is different and not everyone can find what works for them. It can take months to years, not to mention all the scams that are out there, fooling people into believing that they're "idiots" for not doing this and that. But still, that's no excuse for acne sufferers to say horrible things when they know better. Isn't talking about this amazing though? This is exactly what acne puts us through.

MemberMember
(@card27)

Posted : 01/10/2013 7:59 pm

I'm sure everyone knew what you meant, at least to an extent smile.png. For example, people who have just as much acne as myself tend to go overboard, even by my standards. I find myself annoyed trying to calm them down so much, but I would never ignore their emotions or state of thought. Some people are fortunate, some aren't. It's just that everyone is different and not everyone can find what works for them. It can take months to years, not to mention all the scams that are out there, fooling people into believing that they're "idiots" for not doing this and that. But still, that's no excuse for acne sufferers to say horrible things when they know better. Isn't talking about this amazing though? This is exactly what acne puts us through.

Thanks for understanding :) Yeah acne is more than just skin related. It has a way of messing with us mentally.

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 01/10/2013 8:01 pm

Thanks for understanding smile.png Yeah acne is more than just skin related. It has a way of messing with us mentally.

Anytime ^_^.