Notifications
Clear all

I'm A Television Personality With Acne

MemberMember
(@meller)

Posted : 12/24/2012 1:45 am

I know that acne is probably the most common medical condition known to man, but I feel like such an outcast with my skin problems in my line of work. I am an on-camera personality at a local television station, and it's so hard sometimes to come into work every day and be surrounded by people who look perfect 24/7. As a male, I'm not judged quite as harshly for my looks (definite double standard in this profession), and since I'm pretty young and fresh out of college, I don't think anybody's surprised I deal with acne.

But it's hard. My appearance is part of who I am. Funny thing is, you can't tell I have acne on television. On a normal TV, my skin looks flawless. On a big-screen HD TV, I can see my marks because I'm self-conscious, but I have enough stage makeup on that it mostly drowns out my acne. To anyone else, I don't think it's noticeable at all on the air.

Off the air, I have moderate acne, enough that I'm currently on a second course of accutane. The first course worked perfectly, so I'm hopeful in a few months this will all be over. But even though I look fine on the air, I have such a fear of meeting someone out in the real world and having them think, "hey, that guy looks terrific on TV, but he has acne in real life!" I know I shouldn't care, and I know a lot of people have skin issues that outweigh mine by a long shot, but I just want to hide sometimes. Especially when I come into work, and have to deal with my co-workers who see acne as a foreign problem reserved for teenagers and college kids.

I know how common acne is, and yet I feel like I never meet anyone with acne problems like I have. Again, I don't even have it that bad, but when I meet someone, I immediately judge what their skin looks like. 95 percent of the people I meet that are my age (early to mid 20s) have absolutely zero pimples, it seems. Some others have some skin issues, and a rare few are like me and have moderate acne. I haven't really met anyone with severe acne. I feel so horrible for the people that deal with that.

Anyway, just wanted to vent, and let you guys know how helpful it is to read some of your stories on here. It makes me feel like going to work tomorrow and getting through this course of accutane.

MemberMember
(@jkoz)

Posted : 12/24/2012 2:09 am

I definitely feel the same way when meeting new people. It's as if no one I meet has any skin issues at all. I honestly don't remember the last person I met my age (mid 20's) that had skin issues at all. When I get pictures taken with my friends, I definitely feel as though I stick out: the guy with the red face. It gets old! Good luck with accutane!

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 12/24/2012 8:21 am

Try getting help from a psychologist or similar type of professionals to tackle ur anxiety.

MemberMember
(@songbirdsing)

Posted : 12/25/2012 9:09 pm

Maybe you will inspire people with that though. I think sometimes when people have acne they feel limited to hide in the shadows instead of maybe pursuing more public dreams (whether it be on tv or even just something with a lot of interaction with others). I'm a musician and I have not pursued performing because of my acne. About a year ago I started finally playing in a band and realized that I can't hide anymore. If people want to judge me based on it that's on them not me. I try to be as confident as I can with having it because everyone has something they hate about themselves that others barely notice. Most people are more concerned with their issues to notice what's wrong with others. People who meet you are probably more excited they met someone from tv to care that you don't have perfect skin. Just my opinion though :)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/30/2012 10:42 pm

u r so brave omg to be on TV every day must be a lot of pressure but youre doin it so kudos to you!!

good luck with the accutane!