Notifications
Clear all

Trying A Better Diet

MemberMember
(@daveoh)

Posted : 12/07/2012 10:52 am

After some epic zits last week, it dawned on me that I had junked out on pizza for lunch at the cafeteria, had spaghetti for dinner, visited the vending machine and had junky snacks, and cut back on fruits and vegetables. I was reading a couple of threads here, and actually did a Google search on "sugar and acne" and found a wealth of information. This week I'm trying to leave out the spaghetti, no pizza, stay away from the vending machine, and get my fruits and veggies.

Riddle me this, Batman. Let's say I slip and eat one of those sinful snacks with refined sugars, or succumb to the pizza. Is there anything I can do to minimize the ill effects?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/07/2012 1:28 pm

Yes. To lower the glycemic impact, have them only after a meal high in fiber and/or fat have a salad with a vinaigrette dressing or tablespoon of ACV in water or take a fiber supplement before hand. There are also many spices that help prevent blood sugar spikes like cinnamon.

Afterward, do some squats, run up some stairs or something using large muscles to burn up the sugar so your cells will be able to take in the excess sugar.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 12/07/2012 1:40 pm

zinc and vitamin c lowers blood sugar so have food high on those

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/07/2012 1:55 pm

zinc and vitamin c lowers blood sugar so have food high on those

Lots of nutrients help your body regulate blood sugar. But you need to get those regularly as opposed to whenever you cheat. Through your nutrient dense diet.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acne

MemberMember
(@scampb22)

Posted : 12/07/2012 5:05 pm

Check out my blog! :) It'll tell you all about why pizza and processed foods are linked to acne.

MemberMember
(@daveoh)

Posted : 12/10/2012 11:10 am

Thanks all, I'm already seeing the effects since cutting back on the sugar. There is less redness, and the deep ones are going away nicely. I have one tiny whitehead that developed on my chin, but I'll take little whiteheads that disappear quickly over the deep ones that that get large and inflamed. Also trying to cut out dairy, since I suspect that's not doing me a lot of good either.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 12/10/2012 12:48 pm

Chromium picolinate, apple cider vinegar and cinnamon. But: the best protocol is cut all sugar out. Don't look for excuses :)

MemberMember
(@daveoh)

Posted : 12/12/2012 9:45 am

I sure hope this lasts, a few days into it and I'm already seeing improvement. I had one tiny bump form on my cheek, but some BP has taken care of it rapidly. Even the remnant from a large one I picked on my temple is becoming less red.

Changes I've implemented:

Get more fruits and green vegetables with meals

No pasta or pizza

Whole wheat bread instead of white

No Coke

No junk snacks from the vending machine

Soy milk instead of whole milk on my Cheerios (yes, I'm learning soy milk isn't so great either, I may have to find something else)

Lots of water

Take 1 multivitamin in the morning