Notifications
Clear all

Carbs Causing Acne.(Even If Paleo)

MemberMember
(@tweaker123)

Posted : 11/28/2012 5:45 am

So basically a LOW CARB paleo diet works for me 100%. No breakouts at all and stays clear.but i feel lethargic and crappy, because i need carbs(everyone does). I tried eating sweet potatoes, but they break me out, i tried fruits for carbs, and that breaks me out, also white rice breaks me out. The only carb source thats okay is soaked brown rice(not paleo), i still do break out, from the brown rice, but it isnt as bad as the other carb sources such as sweet potatos or fruit. Since im 100% positive its carbs thats breaking me out, what can i do to help my body tolerate carbs more?

So a ''paleo'' diet doesnt work, it seems like it needs to be ''Low Carb paleo''.Is this the same for anyone else??

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 11/28/2012 5:59 am

i went paleo and i couldnt stand it. now cheat by allowing myself to have oats for breakfast and i sometimes have brown rice. at the moment im carb'd out of my mind. but i do it along side periods of fasting you could give that a try.

have you tried beans as a carb source ?

MemberMember
(@tweaker123)

Posted : 11/28/2012 6:08 am

i went paleo and i couldnt stand it. now cheat by allowing myself to have oats for breakfast and i sometimes have brown rice. at the moment im carb'd out of my mind. but i do it along side periods of fasting you could give that a try.

have you tried beans as a carb source ?

i do intermittent fasting also. 8/16.

What kept me 100% clear was basically

lean proteins(chicken breast, very lean beef, very lean pork)

good fats(coconut oil, egg yolks, olive oil)

vegetables(brocolli,spinach, garlic, any other low carb veggies).

this kept me clear for 8 months straight, till i started feeling like absolute crap, i thought being in ketosis and using fat as my main source of energy would be enough, but it doesnt work for me. walking was a chore for me, i need carbs badly, because i am active and like exercising, so i decided to add in carbs little by little. first i started with fruits(broke out a little bit,mostly green apples), then i added in sweet potatos(broke out crazy in cysts and whiteheads), then i added in white rice(broke out like crazy just like the sweet potatos, then brown rice was my last choice, and i dont break out as much, but i still do. If i cut out all these carb sources, my face will immediatly stop breaking out and all my cysts will heal easily. so im positive its carbs.

Also i havent tried beans as a carb source, because i try to stay ''paleo''.

SO in conclusion, carbs break me out even if it is paleo, and generally safe from toxins. It seems like there is no cure for acne really. Of course i can cut out the carbs, but then ill feel lethargic and depressed as hell.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 11/28/2012 6:23 am

maybe up you fast to a 20/4 split. maybe start eating more nuts and seed, do you have a problem with them ?

apart from that you've just got to find that balance between being more energetic or not having acne :S

MemberMember
(@tweaker123)

Posted : 11/28/2012 6:28 am

maybe up you fast to a 20/4 split. maybe start eating more nuts and seed, do you have a problem with them ?

apart from that you've just got to find that balance between being more energetic or not having acne :S

nuts and seeds dont break me out, but they do give me diarehha, so i stay away from them.

see thats the thing though, i only eat 1/4 cup dry brown rice, and 1 green apple a day plus veggies of course(lots of broclli). thats still very low carb , and yet i still break out a little bit,and i still feel kind of lethargic, because i do exercise and lift weights while only eating a little bit of carbs. it seems like just even the tiniest bit of glucose breaks me out..

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/28/2012 6:36 am

So basically a LOW CARB paleo diet works for me 100%. No breakouts at all and stays clear.but i feel lethargic and crappy, because i need carbs(everyone does). I tried eating sweet potatoes, but they break me out, i tried fruits for carbs, and that breaks me out, also white rice breaks me out. The only carb source thats okay is soaked brown rice(not paleo), i still do break out, from the brown rice, but it isnt as bad as the other carb sources such as sweet potatos or fruit. Since im 100% positive its carbs thats breaking me out, what can i do to help my body tolerate carbs more?

So a ''paleo'' diet doesnt work, it seems like it needs to be ''Low Carb paleo''.Is this the same for anyone else??

Increase your essential fat in take stop yourself from being lethargic

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 11/28/2012 6:37 am

shit i cant imagine training with almost no carbs you must be dropping fat like a beast lol.

for me when it comes to fruit i stick to berries and i have 1 banana a day (i know you probs cant have banana) but berries at least are around 10-15 g or carbs per 100g and they are so nutrient dense. i'd ditch the apple in favour of berries. i'll try no to keep on suggesting things but have you tried beetroot

MemberMember
(@tweaker123)

Posted : 11/28/2012 6:53 am

i did. i was eating around 2000 cals a day, and 80% of my calories was from fat(egg yolks, coconut oil, olive oil, fat from the protien source, salmon). still felt lethargic. i just couldnt use fat as my main energy source. i do so much better with carbs, i feel great and so energetic with carbs, but they cause acne no matter howhealthy they are.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/28/2012 7:35 am

i did. i was eating around 2000 cals a day, and 80% of my calories was from fat(egg yolks, coconut oil, olive oil, fat from the protien source, salmon). still felt lethargic. i just couldnt use fat as my main energy source. i do so much better with carbs, i feel great and so energetic with carbs, but they cause acne no matter howhealthy they are.

80%..... Mate that is a little too much. You need to balance the ratio. Something like 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs. I'm not saying that ratio is right for you its just an example.

Balance is key to any nutritional plan. Also ask yourself why you are doing what your doing. Why 80% fat? Is meeting every need? In this case no.

I use a 40,40,20 ratio as outlined above, with training 5 times a week and my energy is through the roof.

Really look at the foods you are eating. Are they nutrient dense, are they providing the right macro and micro nutrients, is there enough fibre in there.

MemberMember
(@tweaker123)

Posted : 11/28/2012 7:47 am

80%..... Mate that is a little too much. You need to balance the ratio. Something like 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs. I'm not saying that ratio is right for you its just an example.

Balance is key to any nutritional plan. Also ask yourself why you are doing what your doing. Why 80% fat? Is meeting every need? In this case no.

I use a 40,40,20 ratio as outlined above, with training 5 times a week and my energy is through the roof.

Really look at the foods you are eating. Are they nutrient dense, are they providing the right macro and micro nutrients, is there enough fibre in there.

thats close to the macro ratio im eating right now to be honest. and i still feel lethargic at times. my macros right now are around 40p/30c/30f. and my carb sources are green apple and little bit of brown rice, and im still breaking out.

a daily meal for me is for lunch:lean protein(chicken breast,lean meat,salmon,lean pork,egg whites),fats(egg yolks,fat from protein,very little coconut oil for cooking), and for carbs brown rice,lots of brocolli,cauliflower,and kimchi(fermented cabbage for probiotics).

and pretty much the same for dinner also. and for a snack ill eat one green apple with cinnamon. i skip breakfast of course, intermittent fasting.

Also im not worried about fiber, since i pretty much have 1 ''good bowel'' movement everyday.

i would like to ask you what you eat on a daily basis, and what your carb sources are thanks.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/28/2012 8:20 am

thats close to the macro ratio im eating right now to be honest. and i still feel lethargic at times. my macros right now are around 40p/30c/30f. and my carb sources are green apple and little bit of brown rice, and im still breaking out.

a daily meal for me is for lunch:lean protein(chicken breast,lean meat,salmon,lean pork,egg whites),fats(egg yolks,fat from protein,very little coconut oil for cooking), and for carbs brown rice,lots of brocolli,cauliflower,and kimchi(fermented cabbage for probiotics).

and pretty much the same for dinner also. and for a snack ill eat one green apple with cinnamon. i skip breakfast of course, intermittent fasting.

Also im not worried about fiber, since i pretty much have 1 ''good bowel'' movement everyday.

i would like to ask you what you eat on a daily basis, and what your carb sources are thanks.

If you're still feeling tired then may be you're just no eating enough? 2000 cals if okay for a sedate average size male but if you are active then may be you need to put another 300 cals in there? Do you workout?

Other causes could be iron deficiency.

Similar to you lean protein, chicken, turkey, beef, fish, whole eggs and whey protein isolate. Green veg when i feel like it not a big lover of green veg, other veg include carrots, peppers, onions or green salad with olive oil.

Carbs come from veg, quinoa, oats, gluten free pasta, white rice, sweet potatoes

Fats, almonds, salmon, udos oil, olive oil, flaxseed, natural greek yogurt, coconut oil

Fruit is limited to berries and apples. Blueberries is a super food and they taste great.

It is worth mentioning that i do carb cycling. This is how i maintain energy levels. 6 days a week i consume about 100 grams of carbs. On my high carb day that goes up 300 grams of carbs. Carb cycling is an awesome tool to use. It helps burn fat and stops the energy drops associated with low carb diets. So on my high carb day my fat will drop to about 20% as my carbs are 50% on that day.

MemberMember
(@royalty)

Posted : 11/28/2012 9:31 am

Hmm could this be the cause of my acne? I always seems to get acne when i try to gain weight and when i try to gain weight i always go crazy on carbs. And i am 100% sure fruits, carrots and spaghetti, rice, gluten, potatoes and all that breaks me out...please answer this is very interesting for me!

MemberMember
(@tweaker123)

Posted : 11/28/2012 10:36 am

Hmm could this be the cause of my acne? I always seems to get acne when i try to gain weight and when i try to gain weight i always go crazy on carbs. And i am 100% sure fruits, carrots and spaghetti, rice, gluten, potatoes and all that breaks me out...please answer this is very interesting for me!

for me yes any type of carb will break me out. Be it fruits rice sweet potatos, anything that converts into glucose in the body,even if it is low gi, i will break out. when i take out all carb sources except low gi veggies(brocolli spinach onions, etc) i wont get a single pimple and will stay clear, until i start adding in fruits or rice or sweet potatos. and the sad part is even very little amounts will break me out. so BASICALLY i have two choices.

1) eat carbs, feel great, be energetic, workout alot, but break out everywhere.

2)eat low carb, and feel like shit.

or theres always ACCUTANE ;)

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/28/2012 10:43 am

for me yes any type of carb will break me out. Be it fruits rice sweet potatos, anything that converts into glucose in the body,even if it is low gi, i will break out. when i take out all carb sources except low gi veggies(brocolli spinach onions, etc) i wont get a single pimple and will stay clear, until i start adding in fruits or rice or sweet potatos. and the sad part is even very little amounts will break me out. so BASICALLY i have two choices.

or theres always ACCUTANE wink.png

The problem i have what you said is about low GI.

The GI scale was developed around fasted people. No study was done on none fasted people.

Fact is GI is laregly irrelevant when consuming food with protein and fats or if you have already eaten.

May be it is not so much the GI and more about the type of carbs. I know you can distinguish carbs through GI content but what i mean is more gluten containing carbs

Like you i am carb senstive both in acne and gaining weight but GI has little or no impact.

MemberMember
(@tweaker123)

Posted : 11/28/2012 10:55 am

The GI scale was developed around fasted people. No study was done on none fasted people.

Fact is GI is laregly irrelevant when consuming food with protein and fats or if you have already eaten.

May be it is not so much the GI and more about the type of carbs.

Like you i am carb senstive both in acne and gaining weight but GI has little or no impact.

i guess its not the Gi then, since i do eat all my meals with protein and fats. It seems like any sugar or glucose that enters my body produces too much insulin therefore causing acne.

because for 8 months i followed a low carb paleo diet. only lean meats, good fats, and lots of vegetables. and i did not break out once.when i mean once i mean it, i never broke out in a cyst or a whitehead, it looked like i had no acne at all(except the scars before). but like i said, i felt like shit, since keto did not work for me. So i decided to add back in carbs. little by little. firstly i tried sweet potatos because it was ''paleo''. i broke out everywhere in whiteheads and cysts in a 3 day span. So i stopped and went back to low carb. in about a week, my face was clear again. So then i decided white rice. in a 2 day span i broke out in cysts and whiteheads all over. so i went low carb again , and in about a week and a half, i was complelty clear again. SO THEN i tried brown rice, i didnt break out for 4 days, so i thought brown rice was okay, but i did start breaking out , but it wasnt as bad as the other carb sources. so i stuck with brown rice. and for fruits(green apples, blueberries) , the exact same thing happened, but not as bad.

i had a diary everyday keeping track of my progress, and evertime i ate carbs i broke out heavily. no carbs=no acne.

Also if you check out this thread.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/222897-diet-isnt-related-to-acne-bullcrap-here-is-my-proof/

hes the exact same way i was. when he eats starchy carbs he will break out (rice,potatos,fruit)

but when he only eats meats , veggies, nuts, he will stay clear.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/28/2012 10:59 am

May be it is not so much the GI and more about the type of carbs.

i guess its not the Gi then, since i do eat all my meals with protein and fats. It seems like any sugar or glucose that enters my body produces too much insulin therefore causing acne.

because for 8 months i followed a low carb paleo diet. only lean meats, good fats, and lots of vegetables. and i did not break out once.when i mean once i mean it, i never broke out in a cyst or a whitehead, it looked like i had no acne at all(except the scars before). but like i said, i felt like shit, since keto did not work for me. So i decided to add back in carbs. little by little. firstly i tried sweet potatos because it was ''paleo''. i broke out everywhere in whiteheads and cysts in a 3 day span. So i stopped and went back to low carb. in about a week, my face was clear again. So then i decided white rice. in a 2 day span i broke out in cysts and whiteheads all over. so i went low carb again , and in about a week and a half, i was complelty clear again. SO THEN i tried brown rice, i didnt break out for 4 days, so i thought brown rice was okay, but i did start breaking out , but it wasnt as bad as the other carb sources. so i stuck with brown rice. and for fruits(green apples, blueberries) , the exact same thing happened, but not as bad.

i had a diary everyday keeping track of my progress, and evertime i ate carbs i broke out heavily. no carbs=no acne.

Well sugar is not good in high doses anyway and if you are carb sensitive then it is case of finding what carbs you can eat.

It could be gluten. This is deffo a key factor in my acne. When i cut gluten down my skin improves a hell of a lot.

If paleo works for you and ur happy with it keep it up, but i think GI in most cases is of little relevance. I could be wrong but micro managing something like GI is just a one way ticket to being OCD about food and u will just be miserable.

High sugar will disrupt your hormonal balance which ain't good so you should continue along the lines of low sugar regardless of what u do.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/28/2012 2:40 pm

If you are glucose sensitive or insulin resistant, yes, you will have a problem with sweet potatoes. But: that doesn't mean you will be forever! If you go strict low carb paleo for a longer period of time you may be ok. The point is to heal the gut so that it is not so sensitive to things like insulin. However, some people actually have a genetic ALLERGY to insulin and other sugars. Look into the FODMAPS diet. It is basically Paleo, but revised to eliminate the allergens that I'm talking about. Sweet potato is something they say to avoid.

Also, how MUCH do you work out? Yes, we all need carbs to thrive, but if you work out, you obviously need a lot more. The Paleo BOOK actually recommends ONLY eating sweet potatoes after a work out.

How's your consumption of healthy fats in terms of quantity?

Here's a longgg list of "paleo carbs"

Ackee

Acorn squash

apples

Apricots

Artichoke

Arugula

Asparagus

Bamboo shoots

Bananas

basil

Beet greens

Beets

Blackberries

Blueberries

Bok choy (and all the other CHOYS)

Breadfruit

broccoli

Brussel sprouts

Buttercup squash

Butternut squash

Cabbages (red, green, napa)

Cantaloupe melon

carrots

Cauliflower

Celery

Cherries

Chokecherries

Chrysanthemum leaves

Cilantro

Clementines

Collards

Cranberries

Cucumber

currants

Daikon

Dates

Durian

Eggplant

Fennel

Fiddleheads

garlic

Garlic scapes

Ginger

Grapefruit

Grapes

Guava

Hearts of palm

Hibiscus flowers

Honeydew

horseradish

Hubbard squash

jackfruit

Jicama

Kabocha squash

Kale

Kiwi

Kumquats

Lambs quarters (mache)

Lavendar

Leeks

Lemon

Lettuces

lime

limequats

Loquat

Lotus root

Mango

Mushrooms

Mustard greens

Nasturtiums (leaves and flowers)

Nectarines

Nopales

Okra

Onions

Orange

Papaya

Papaya

Parsley

Parsnips

Passionfruit

Peach

Pear

peppers

Pigweed

Pineapple

Plantains

plums

Pomegranate

Prickly pear

purslane

Raddichio

Radishes

Raisins

rambutan

raspberries

Red banana

Rose petals and rose hips

rutabagas

Saguaro fruit

Salsa

Saurkraut

Scallions/green onions

Seaweeds

Sorrel

Spaghettisquash

Spinach

Sprouts

Star fruit

Strawberries

Summer squashes

Sweet potato/yams

Swiss chard

Tamarind

tamarind

Tangerine

Tat soi

Tomato

Turnips

verdolagas

Water chestnuts

Watercress

Watermelon

Zucchini

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/28/2012 4:20 pm

I'll just add to this thread that going low carb all of the time isn't optimal.

Cycling carbs is effective for any goal in the right balance however seek the guidence of a nutritionist who knows what they are talking about and are proven in the fitness industry.

Scott Baptie, Phil Learny, James-Conci Mitchell. 3 guys i have huge respsect for and Scott Baptie is my nutrionist. Well worth looking these guys up especially Scott as he designs nutritional plans according to the unique specifications of the person in question.

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 11/28/2012 7:58 pm

I would suspect a yeast and/or bacterial overgrowth in your gut. I am dealing with basically the same problem... but can handle a little more carbs now than I could in the past, since I started taking some things to help reduce the yeast and bad bacteria in my gut.

This is what has helped me the most:

- black tea (very high in tannins, which kill yeast and bad bacteria)

- something called ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate (this raises the number of neutrophils in your body -- neutrophils are immune system cells that kill yeast and bacteria)

- acidophilus supplement

I eat winter squash for carbs. I still can't handle fruit or potatoes or grains.

MemberMember
(@strax)

Posted : 11/28/2012 8:59 pm

Being casterated would cure your acne. Going on a drug that blocked all your androgens would cure your acne. Just because something cures your acne doesn't mean its in your best interest. There is a paper of an autopsy of 3 innuits from thousands of years ago that were frozen at death and pathology preserved. They autopsied them and they all had some serious issues(bad blockages of arteries, and severe osteoperosis) they were all eating the most pristine low carb diet you could imagine everything wild caught and fresh...

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/29/2012 12:00 am

Being casterated would cure your acne. Going on a drug that blocked all your androgens would cure your acne. Just because something cures your acne doesn't mean its in your best interest. There is a paper of an autopsy of 3 innuits from thousands of years ago that were frozen at death and pathology preserved. They autopsied them and they all had some serious issues(bad blockages of arteries, and severe osteoperosis) they were all eating the most pristine low carb diet you could imagine everything wild caught and fresh...

please link this study

MemberMember
(@quetzl1)

Posted : 11/29/2012 9:44 pm

I'll just jump in here and add that if you're having a problem with carbs in general it could point to some form of bacterial dysbiosis - essentially, the sugars are feeding harmful bacteria instead of helpful. If you notice a sudden increase in acne 4-6 hours after eating, this may very well be the problem.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 11/29/2012 10:41 pm

If you have insulin resistance, you could try supplements like chromium or cinnamon. You could try probiotics also. I see the theory on here all the time that carbs "feed bad bacteria," and who knows, it could be true.

MemberMember
(@strax)

Posted : 11/29/2012 10:49 pm

The problem I have with carbs vs fat is that the more fat you eat the harder it is for your body to use carbs. So if you go high fat you have to stay on that, i'd rather not stay on that for the rest of my life.

If you have insulin resistance, you could try supplements like chromium or cinnamon. You could try probiotics also. I see the theory on here all the time that carbs "feed bad bacteria," and who knows, it could be true.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/29/2012 11:01 pm

I'll just jump in here and add that if you're having a problem with carbs in general it could point to some form of bacterial dysbiosis - essentially, the sugars are feeding harmful bacteria instead of helpful. If you notice a sudden increase in acne 4-6 hours after eating, this may very well be the problem.

I'd like to hear more about this bacterial dysbiosis, its a new term for me.