Notifications
Clear all

Narcissism?

MemberMember
(@cutiebear)

Posted : 11/26/2012 12:03 am

So, apparently my mom thinks I'm a narcissist for wanting clear skin!? I never knew wanting something like clear skin would be this bad, but gosh I don't think that makes me a narcissist.

Obviously, for people with clear skin, this is not an issue. Only us acne sufferers can understand the real emotional/physical/psychological effects of it. I'm just tired of hearing so much negativity from people who CANNOT relate to me.

When I actually had relatively clear skin and a few pimples here and there, my family used to make fun of me and tell me to go get it fixed. And now that it's more effed up than before they still aren't happy. Guess you can't make everyone happy, huh?

In conclusion, acne is a bitch.

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/26/2012 7:40 am

You are not a narcissist. My boyfriend has occasionally thought I was absofuckinglutely nuts to pour so much attention into my skin - but the truth of the matter is I have to live inside this body, not him. It's up to me to decide what I feel good in - and keeping my skin as clear as possible (and finding the nesscary support in doing so) is paramount.

Priorities. And there's nothing wrong with skincare being one of them.

MemberMember
(@cutiebear)

Posted : 11/26/2012 12:05 pm

Elsewhere- I couldn't agree more. For me feeling good is looking good. Taking care of our skin is a good thing, it's a reflection of our inner health!

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 11/26/2012 1:18 pm

I've had my mom accuse me of this before too. She understands better now, but it's still hard. People who don't have acne just don't get how all we want is NORMAL skin--not even 'beautiful' skin. It's not like I want to be super pretty or something I just want clear skin. And they don't get how it feels to go to bed with your face looking somewhat normal and then wake up and it's like a warzone with pimples. It's just a constant fight.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/26/2012 1:24 pm

Your acne may be a bitch, but your Mother's comment was RUDE. I have no idea what the relationship or family life is like for you, especially with your Mom, so I am not going to pass any judgements, but I will say this: she was wrong to say that to you.

Don't let it get you down. You might find yourself accepting your acne more if you just surrender to it and think, "some people just have acne." Actually, MANY people have acne, this website is proof. We are all in this together. If your Mom is not in the same boat with this skin condition, and she has no positive advice or encouragement to offer, than she my as well keep quiet because she is not helping anything.

I urge you to check out the long thread on leaky gut. Acne is best cleared from the inside out, though it is a long hard road. What I said before about "accepting" your acne means that you should love yourself and come to terms with the fact that it is simply there, but it doesn't mean you have to (or should) deal with it forever. See it as a part of you, but know that it CAN be fixed with the right regimen. Stay positive!!

-Indigo

MemberMember
(@cutiebear)

Posted : 11/26/2012 6:36 pm

Aww thanks guys for the positive comments!

Snsdgirl14- I feel the same way. I could care less to have beautiful or perfect skin, but I would just love to wake up to a face where I feel comfortable and happy with. I mean I only have one body and I want it to be the best it can be!

ind1g0- Right. My mom (And my whole family) are not very helpful/ understanding with my struggle, but I'm glad the members on acne.org can relate to me =) Fees nice to share and vent to you guys lol.

I'm definitely going to check out the thread about the leaky gut. I'm pretty certain I have candida!

Thanks so much (: