Notifications
Clear all

Food Combining: Starch And Protein?

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 11/24/2012 1:07 pm

I have read in a few places you shouldn't have starch and protein in the same meal, for as long as I can remember I have had both of these together. My digestion is pretty brutal and I know this won't just be the cause but has anyone else come across this or have an opinion on not mixing the two?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/24/2012 1:15 pm

I pretty much stopped eating any starches because they mess up my gut. But I've also read that you shouldn't combine them. So typical meat and potato dinners are out. At least while you're intensely working on healing your gut. But remember, the reason a lot of us are working so hard on healing our guts and restoring gut flora is so we can eat things like this (and other less than ideal things) once in awhile without any negative consequences. So for myself, I won't eat starches or mix unhealthy food combinations for now, but I have hope I will be able to do in the future.

One thing I know is very bad for me is mixing fruit and other foods. If I eat a plate of eggs and then a bunch of fruit, I will bloat out like I'm pregnant and be in pain all night. Starch is basically sugar so I imagine the effect may be the same.