Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Ever Used Your Acne Against You In An Argument?

MemberMember
(@megno)

Posted : 11/20/2012 12:32 pm

So, last weekend I was fighting with my brother. I guess it got to the point where he had nothing left to say, and he said, "At least I don't have acne!" It really infuriated me that he would hit below the belt like that with my biggest insecurity. He knows how awful I feel about my acne, yet he called me out on it when it had nothing to do with the argument. I got so pissed off that I hit him with my giant AP U.S. History textbook, lol. After that I kind of just went into my room and cried. This wasn't even the first time he's done this. He's 13 and starting to hit puberty, so I hope he gets what he deserves. Also, later that day I went to my friend's house and her brother asked me how old I was. I told him 16 and he told me to sit side-by-side with my friend, who's also 16. He finally says, "You look 17." I asked him why and he said "Because you're going through acne". I was wearing a full face of makeup at the time so it made me feel terrible that he could tell. He is only 9, but still! I just want this friggin' acne gone. It really, REALLY bothers me when people point it out. I've had friends my age point out acne. It's like, OH REALLY???? DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS THERE. Of course I do. Jesus. Some people just don't get it. On the contrary, it makes me feel so good about myself when a friend tells me my skin is getting better. Huge confidence booster.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Where someone used your acne insecurity against you to intentionally make you feel like crap? Or even if someone rudely and blatantly pointed it out, as if you didn't already know it was there. Post your stories here!

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 11/20/2012 1:55 pm

So, last weekend I was fighting with my brother. I guess it got to the point where he had nothing left to say, and he said, "At least I don't have acne!" It really infuriated me that he would hit below the belt like that with my biggest insecurity. He knows how awful I feel about my acne, yet he called me out on it when it had nothing to do with the argument. I got so pissed off that I hit him with my giant AP U.S. History textbook, lol. After that I kind of just went into my room and cried. This wasn't even the first time he's done this. He's 13 and starting to hit puberty, so I hope he gets what he deserves. Also, later that day I went to my friend's house and her brother asked me how old I was. I told him 16 and he told me to sit side-by-side with my friend, who's also 16. He finally says, "You look 17." I asked him why and he said "Because you're going through acne". I was wearing a full face of makeup at the time so it made me feel terrible that he could tell. He is only 9, but still! I just want this friggin' acne gone. It really, REALLY bothers me when people point it out. I've had friends my age point out acne. It's like, OH REALLY???? DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS THERE. Of course I do. Jesus. Some people just don't get it. On the contrary, it makes me feel so good about myself when a friend tells me my skin is getting better. Huge confidence booster.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Where someone used your acne insecurity against you to intentionally make you feel like crap? Or even if someone rudely and blatantly pointed it out, as if you didn't already know it was there. Post your stories here!

I'm sorry you had to experience that. It is really below the belt, especially since it's not something of your own doing. If someone called you fat during an argument, at least there would be a definitive way to rectify that, but when someone insults you for something you didn't choose to have, it's infuriating. Rise above it, watch something that will make you laugh, that usually helps me.

As for myself, funnily enough I had the exact same problem with one of my younger brothers. When my acne was still in it's severe stages, my brother would frequently attack me during disputes and even, at times, without provocation. It's the sole reason I haven't spoken to him for 6 years (though we live in the same house). Ironically, he developed acne as well (though not as severe as mine during my peak years) and though I know how it feels to have your body turn on you, it's come around full circle for him.

Must be a pain as a woman, to go through all the effort to make yourself look somewhat presentable, only to have someone else (especially a "friend") nullify any level of self-esteem you had before they opened their mouth. All I can say is I've shared your experience and it's just another day in the life of an acne sufferer really.

MemberMember
(@megno)

Posted : 11/20/2012 5:59 pm

Ha, I secretly hope that happens to mine. Then he'll know what it's like and regret ever saying anything about me,. And it really is just the regular life of an acne sufferer, having people look you in the pimple rather than the eyes.

MemberMember
(@unacceptedrealist)

Posted : 11/20/2012 6:34 pm

I have, fortunately, never experienced this. However, if I ever do, I'd respond with something like "At least I don't have a broken nose"-- after taking the implied action, of course.

MemberMember
(@blissbalance)

Posted : 11/22/2012 2:08 am

My brother has and only him. But I have a fear that if I like someone's 'to be honest' status on facebook, they will say "to be honest, I think you need to get some proactiv" I ALWAYS think that. It's childish. I'm sure people have talked smack about my skin though. I know for sure that it's happened this year because my skin has looks it's worst.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/22/2012 7:39 am

Arguments like that only come from the ignorant (no offense) to your brother.

Don't get mad get even. Find his most prized procession and take it from him :D . Hide it, mess it up or whatever u fancy.

All else fails break out "your mum" jokes hahahaha

MemberMember
(@megno)

Posted : 11/23/2012 12:46 am

My brother has and only him. But I have a fear that if I like someone's 'to be honest' status on facebook, they will say "to be honest, I think you need to get some proactiv" I ALWAYS think that. It's childish. I'm sure people have talked smack about my skin though. I know for sure that it's happened this year because my skin has looks it's worst.

Omg no, I feel the exact same way. I get so worried about how my face looks, so in school I always touch up my concealer in the bathroom and I constantly feel like people are judging me for wearing a lot of makeup and that they notice how bad my skin is (because it's just plain to see). Like I remember this one time a classmate of mine was talking to me about another girls acne and in my head I was like, "What if people say that about me..." It got me worrying, perhaps too much lol. But people must really have nothing to talk about if they would go so low as to insult someone on their skin behind their back. THAT'S childish

MemberMember
(@blissbalance)

Posted : 11/23/2012 12:51 am

Omg no, I feel the exact same way. I get so worried about how my face looks, so in school I always touch up my concealer in the bathroom and I constantly feel like people are judging me for wearing a lot of makeup and that they notice how bad my skin is (because it's just plain to see). Like I remember this one time a classmate of mine was talking to me about another girls acne and in my head I was like, "What if people say that about me..." It got me worrying, perhaps too much lol. But people must really have nothing to talk about if they would go so low as to insult someone on their skin behind their back. THAT'S childish

Yeah. But to be fair, we're all ignorant in some kind of way. People with clear skin would talk about a person with bad acne because it's abnormal to them & most don't intend to hurt someone's feelings. What I don't understand is when people make fun of you for having acne. THAT is just plain rude. What gets me anxious is seeing people in the hallway that I used to talk to (specifically guys) and now my skin is horrible (at the moment). You just can't help but think what is running through their minds or what they say to their friends. At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide if it'll affect you. Sometimes it does. I've skipped school a few times because I've felt really crappy about my skin :/

MemberMember
(@megno)

Posted : 11/23/2012 1:28 am

Yeah. But to be fair, we're all ignorant in some kind of way. People with clear skin would talk about a person with bad acne because it's abnormal to them & most don't intend to hurt someone's feelings. What I don't understand is when people make fun of you for having acne. THAT is just plain rude. What gets me anxious is seeing people in the hallway that I used to talk to (specifically guys) and now my skin is horrible (at the moment). You just can't help but think what is running through their minds or what they say to their friends. At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide if it'll affect you. Sometimes it does. I've skipped school a few times because I've felt really crappy about my skin :/

I totally get that. Before I ever had acne (meaning before I was a teenager, aka an ignorant child) I thought it was strange, I just didn't really understand it. I kind of just naturally associated it with someone being dirty. (Now I know MUCH better) But I never made fun of anyone that had it. I guarantee that anyone who makes fun of someone's acne isn't perfect and has some kind of major flaw. Many people are predisposed to acne and just can't do much about it, so I just don't understand what there is to make fun of. Wow, so funny, I have a skin condition. One thing I hate is when people say, "Why don't you/he/she just get some Proactiv" Ha...I wish it was that easy. Acne is way more complicated and stubborn than "just some Proactiv". Ah they just don't get it. And yeah I know, school is a nightmare when you feel like your skin looks like shit. There are days where I don't want to leave my room because of it. It's easy to try and tell myself that it doesn't matter what other people think, but in the end it does. Not even just what other people think, but it sucks to look in the mirror and think of myself as horrifying. But like you said, it's at the moment. There will be a day when you won't have acne and that's a bright side, I suppose.

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 11/24/2012 9:24 pm

Not yet but i think it's only because i look like a bad ass lol. i look like the kind of person that you don't want to fuck with, people can tell that i'd probably hit em if they made fun of me to my face and because i have realized this. i'v kind of lost my anxiety around people because i know the'll only say it behind my back. if they ever say it to me directly well... it's go time. i mean really they should know better anyway's

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/25/2012 7:06 am

Since you're going through puberty, your liver is likely too weak to handle the influx of hormones.

What have you been eating lately? I've suffered with acne for 15 years. I got rid of most of it at the age of 30 (right now). So you can only imagine how many strange things I've experienced as a result.

It's as if people have to make that extra effort to be nice, and so do I. I cannot voice any opinion(s), as acne just doesn't exude confidence.

I think I can help you if you let me. What is your diet like? Really, this is the first part (the basis) to curing acne. It's just not going to be the same if you use topicals and some pills. Believe me when I say that results from a changed diet are incredible.

If I had discovered my "cure" 15 years ago, I don't think I'd be the same person right now. Acne has been a humbling experience, and I take away from it a lot of valuable things.

MemberMember
(@victoria201)

Posted : 11/27/2012 4:03 am

Yes! My little 8 year old sister does that! The other day my cousin some how mentioned to her that oh your going to be just like your sister when you get older and she replied (with a chuckle) "oh a face full of pimples" i couldn't help but break down because of how fragile my emotions are because of my acne! It just hurts especially when i try to cover it up with makeup only to realize it doesn't really help. I dont know if this happens to you but, It infuriates me when someone like my parents can ask me why are you breaking out?or why is your skin so bad? when they see all that i go through!

I feel your pain girl!

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/27/2012 3:39 pm

People will use anything against you in an argument once they run out of things to say, this frequently being related to looks.

In all honesty, though, I think there are things a lot worse someone could say to hurt you than 'at least I don't have acne'. There was a girl in my year at school whose mother was a prostitute, and it was used against her more than once, like, 'at least my mum isn't a whore' etc.

You shouldn't get too worked about it though, it's not worth it. It just shows that you let that person get to you and it makes them more likely to say those things more, as they see it upsets you very much.

MemberMember
(@megno)

Posted : 11/28/2012 7:42 pm

Yes! My little 8 year old sister does that! The other day my cousin some how mentioned to her that oh your going to be just like your sister when you get older and she replied (with a chuckle) "oh a face full of pimples" i couldn't help but break down because of how fragile my emotions are because of my acne! It just hurts especially when i try to cover it up with makeup only to realize it doesn't really help. I dont know if this happens to you but, It infuriates me when someone like my parents can ask me why are you breaking out?or why is your skin so bad? when they see all that i go through!

I feel your pain girl!

I think the thing with younger siblings is that 1) they are little brats in general, all the time and 2) they just don't understand acne yet. Maybe one day she WILL have acne and regret she ever said anything about yours. (I'm kind of hoping that's how it goes with my brother...it sounds terrible but he acts like a little shit) It is soo infuriating though. I'm frustrated by my acne enough as it is, people pointing it only multiplies that. My parents don't really say anything though, my dad had really severe acne as a teenager and has deep crater-like scarring even at 46 so he would never. The emotional damage is really the worst part. My friends wonder why I get so upset over my skin or if someone makes a comment. I feel like nobody understands it at all. I agree with the makeup thing - sometimes I wonder if I'm better off with a face full of noticeable makeup and a few visible pimples, or a face full of acne and hyperpigmentation

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 01/23/2013 9:20 pm

We're all prone to do it, it happens in an argument. I'm betting, if all of us here never had acne, most people here would go after someone's acne in an heated argument. Whether it's acne, or if they're fat or short. We might feel bad afterwards, but sh*t gets said in the heat of the moment. We only think about this now because we all have acne ourselves, at one time when we all had clear skin, I'm sure "this guy is pissing me off but he has bad acne and I better not say anything about it" was never a thought. I will say this though, even if I do clear up for good and never have a pimple again, I have already vowed to never go after someone's skin problem ever again no matter how much the person gets on my nerves. smile.png