Notifications
Clear all

Do You Ever Notice People Staring At Your Acne?

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 11/17/2012 11:58 am

So, off topic, but I'm hungry and I want to go to the cafeteria, but I'm afraid of awkward moments and going to the cafeteria is one big awkward moment. (When I have no makeup on) Whenever I go without makeup, it's like a free for all staring contest. I'll be talking to someone, and instead of looking at my eyes, I can see their eyes staring at my face, moving from my cheeks to my jaw :( and obviously it's because of my acne. It's super awkward! dot.gif

Does anyone ever say anything?

I did once, when I was getting sick of it. I was at Nordstroms at the Chanel counter and the woman who was helping me pick out perfume wouldn't stop staring at my face. I know she works with makeup and what not, but damn! way to make a customer feel inferior. So I told her, yeah my acne is bad, i am trying to do something about it. rolleyes.gif

Lol, I think she was a bit baffled. I know it's upfront, but I'm not dumb, and I know when someone is staring at my acne. Don't worry, I said it nicely :P I could never be rude to a stranger

SO, that being said, share any stories or moments when you feel like someone is staring at your acne and what you do about it.chuck.gif

catdance.gif wow that's super cute... lol

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 11/17/2012 12:40 pm

I've never noticed people staring at my acne, but my little cousin did poke my skin today and go 'your skin's all dry and flaking off. Are you ok?!"

Bless her. I didn't think a seven year old would understand the concept of benzoyl peroxide, so I told her I had sunburn. She replied by looking at the cold winter atmosphere outside. Some kids are just too clever.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 11/17/2012 1:46 pm

I would have loved to have seen the woman's face when you had said to her, I wish I could that. I can't. There have been a few incidencies where I haven seen people looking at my skin, I hate it and actually avoid eye contact...which really just makes me look insecure I think.

I remember when I was sitting on a bus one day, a girl was staright across from me and I had looked at her as I could sense her looking at me, which she was but our eyes only looked at each other for a second as I noticed her gaze moving all around my face, it was horrible. So I just kinda frowned a bit and turned away. At college I get a few girls looking at me, not like staring but as I walk past them I see their gaze just dancing around my skin as opposed to my eyes or lips or even my lovely hair, I dread college somedays actually. I notice though that I NEVER get any old people staring or looking at my skin, like old old as in 60s or 70s. Obviously they have better manners :)

I think the next time I notice it happen though I would love to just politely say something you know...

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 11/17/2012 6:27 pm

gosh, i'm so sorry to hear about both of your moments! it does suck, it feels like you're dehumanized some freakshow. well, if it makes you feel anybetter, when i was in hs this boy with special needs was staring at my face. Then he came up to me and asked me what happened to my face. I started crying lol

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 11/17/2012 10:18 pm

Damn I never go to the cafeteria at the college even tho I only have scars I feel scared to go lol, it reminds me of high school were I would sit alone at the empty ass table every day.

When my acne was bad people wouldn't stare because it was so horrible they couldnt stand but glance at it for a mil sec. And look away as if they just seen some monster from the underworld or something.

MemberMember
(@lady_c)

Posted : 11/18/2012 9:25 am

The more superfical society becomes, the more fixated people become with their outer appearence. I've had people stare at my skin and make comments. My acne used to be extremely bad when I was 12 up until say..erm..... 22 ish. It got to the point where it was unsual for people to not stare or make a comment. Of course, my experience made me completely self-conscious and anti social I still am to a certain degree. Nowadays, I don't really get as many stares/comments, maybe a side glance but that could be for a number of reasons. I usually style my hair in a way that covers my flaws. Some people are just SO rude, why do people think it's acceptable to say such vile things about our acne?

MemberMember
(@poi6)

Posted : 11/18/2012 10:21 am

Countless times. And I when seem to be one of the youngest here.

Things like "Proactive kid, that shit works". And "your neck looks like and alien staring back at me*

I only ever once did something about it...

In grade 10 I took art class. And there was this little douche that would constantly give me crap. Then I just snapped when he called me some name about acne but I foget what it was.....

So I picked him up by the neck, threw him on the ground and started feeding him the hardest punches I have ever given in my life. (This was also in a room full of people btw)

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 11/18/2012 3:23 pm

Damn I never go to the cafeteria at the college even tho I only have scars I feel scared to go lol, it reminds me of high school were I would sit alone at the empty ass table every day.

When my acne was bad people wouldn't stare because it was so horrible they couldnt stand but glance at it for a mil sec. And look away as if they just seen some monster from the underworld or something.

same here man with the cafeteria thing. I sit alone, and I thought that shit would end in highschool!!

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/18/2012 9:05 pm

People have stared at my acne many times, especially when it gets really bad. There are few things that hurt worse than that.

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 11/19/2012 3:38 am

When my acne was really bad, I used to always feel that people were staring at me. On most occasions, I would either look away or not make eye contact.

However on one occasion when I was about 18, I had a great big red zit right on the end of my nose and unfortunately it was only a few days before Comic Relief red-nose day in the UK. I was on a bus and there were two girls opposite who kept looking at me and sniggering. I ignored it as best as I could but eventuallly one of the girls who was a bit overweight turned to me and said "it`s not red-nose day till next week mate" and then her and her mate started laughing hysterically. Normally I would have just kept quiet and not said anything but something in me snapped and I shouted "fuck-off you fat bitch". It shut them right up but left me feeling equally embarrassed as everyone who was on the top deck of the bus heard it.

Looking back on the episode now, I am glad that I did react as for once I stood-up for myself instead of just accepting the humiliation.

MemberMember
(@thommoth)

Posted : 11/19/2012 10:33 am

Somebody once said to me 'you might have been good looking if you'd never got acne' which was hurtful. I perform on stage a lot too, and I heard someone on the front row say to her friend that I had a huge spot on my forehead.

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 11/19/2012 10:40 am

Somebody once said to me 'you might have been good looking if you'd never got acne' which was hurtful. I perform on stage a lot too, and I heard someone on the front row say to her friend that I had a huge spot on my forehead.

that's horrible! acne does not make someone ugly, even though we (as acne suffers) feel like it does to ourselves. jeez, people need to calm down. >:( it's just a zit.. i mean, really..?

MemberMember
(@megno)

Posted : 11/20/2012 12:53 pm

Oftentimes my closest friends will do it, and what's worse about that is that they know how horrible I feel about my acne. I've vented to them about it many times and they only make it worse by staring. I guess they just don't understand, with their perfect skin. But what the hell is so interesting about a pimple anyway that you'd rather look at that than my eyes lol????? In the eighth grade, I didn't have an acne problem yet but when I did get a pimple for some reason it would be HUGE. So one time I was talking to a kid in my class and mid-conversation he goes, "Y-you have a...pimple." Wow, thanks for the update. I never would have known. I really don't understand how some people's minds work.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 11/21/2012 7:39 am

About 6 years ago when I was in my first year of high school I had a teacher aim a laser pointer at my face and acne - and if that wasn't hurtful enough, a girl walked into the classroom, passed me saying something like 'gross your face looks like a minefield' and laughed along with the girls she was with. Even though it was years ago, occasionally I'll remember it and it still upsets me. I don't remember exactly what I did when it happened. I think I just looked down and was embarrassed for the moment but I don't think I let it show that it effected me.

Like I needed to be made aware of my flaws! I'm the one living with this acne and seeing it everyday - I know it's there and don't need someone's rude/hurtful comments to let me know.

Since then I'll sometimes think people are looking at my acne but I can't be sure and if they are I don't confront them about it. I'd like to but I also think it would just bring more attention to it.

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/21/2012 8:02 am

I had a really, really bad breakout earlier this year due to a medication change. Something near cystic acne. People definitely stared then. I tried to ignore it, but it was really hard and I didn't always manage it. Even my exhusband (who knows my skin struggles and makes a concerted effort to not bring it up) said something. That's when I knew it was out of control. :(

MemberMember
(@blissbalance)

Posted : 11/22/2012 2:04 am

If you are hungry, then by all means go eat something. Screw the other people. People will judge you no matter what. Even if you have the nicest skin and sexiest body they'll still judge you. What matters is what you think of yourself.

But yes, I always notice people stare at my acne. That's why i never really talk to people face to face or even at all, as awful as it sounds. It kills my self esteem when I am talking to someone and I see them staring at my cheek acne. It's like, "Fuck off, you're clearly not listening to me so I'm just going to stare at your lardy ass since you're staring at my acne.."

That is really rude of me to say, but it hurts when you've tried so much and it doesn't get better.

But you've still got to have hope and find someone to talk to. I talk to my brother. I don't have a friend I can talk to about my acne or anything else in reality, but you can make it work and find someone eventually.