Notifications
Clear all

Over Treating Your Skin?

MemberMember
(@lucasbomb)

Posted : 11/14/2012 7:35 am

Is it possible to over treat your skin and that could cause breakouts?

my daily regimin is

Am -

ProActiv Cleanser (step one)

ProActiv Toner (Step two) (Alternate with step three)

ProActiv regeneration serum (Step three) (Alternate with step two)

Topical ointment from DR

Moisturise

PM -

Same as AM

Also the ProActiv daily cleanser has those microbeads things in, so its kind of like a scrub, could that be making my acne worse?

MemberMember
(@itsnoteasybeinggreen)

Posted : 11/14/2012 6:17 pm

I use Proactiv. I only use it once a day at night. I use step one (the cleanser) lightly putting it on with 2 fingers barely touching your face and moving fingers in a circle. I leave it on for two minutes while I wash my hair, then I rinse my face with 4 splashes of water. After I dry off lightly patting my face, I add step 2 (the tone) aplply lightly with a cotton pad, again barely touching the face. I wait a few minutes for that to dry, then step 3 (the BP lotion) I put a small dab on my forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin, then lightly rub in. I let that dry and an hour later I apply Neutrogena combination skin Moisturizer. In the morning I wash my face with three splashes of water and pat dry with a towel. An hour later I apply the moisturizer. It took 4 week but my face is now 100% clear.

With proactiv you must use all three steps every time and follow with moisturizer it should take 15 minutes to apply all 3 steps or it just won't work. I would start out once a day first and after 4 weeks move to twice a day only if your skin doesn't clear and is still oily.

And to answer your question, using too many things can make it worse. Dry skin can cause acne just as easily as oily skin.

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 11/14/2012 6:40 pm

Yea too much chemicals.

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 11/18/2012 9:13 pm

IMO it is definitely possible to over-treat your skin. All the chemicals are way too harsh. For three months I've adopted a gentle, simple, non-irritating approach to my skincare and it's the best it's looked in 30 years.

MemberMember
(@ryanfog90)

Posted : 12/06/2012 8:40 pm

Definitely... I would eliminate the number/frequency of harsh topical treatments and see if things improve.

MemberMember
(@matt-f)

Posted : 12/08/2012 5:55 pm

I personally have always found that minimal products works best for my skin. My belief is that too many people try to eliminate their acne rather than reduce it hence making it worse.