Notifications
Clear all

Alcohol And Smoking?

MemberMember
(@lucasbomb)

Posted : 11/14/2012 7:31 am

How much do these two affect acne??

I smoke around 7 cigs a day and drink nearly every other day..

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/14/2012 7:44 am

Both can affect acne.

Reasons to reduce alcohol consumption:

-It stimulates the production of testosterone, leading to more acne.

-Reduces the power of your immune system making it more difficult for the body to get rid of bacteria

-Harms the liver (so your body won't detox as well)

- Depending on the alcohol, there can be sugar in it too which can inflame acne

-Alcohol depletes the body of water and Vitamin A

There isn't much information on smoking and acne but there was a study done that showed increased levels of carbon monoxide stimulated the sebaceous glands glands to produce excessive amounts of sebum which of course can make acne become worse.

MemberMember
(@lucasbomb)

Posted : 11/14/2012 7:50 am

Cool thanks for that, I am not going to drink for a week and see what difference it makes! Bye bye Gin :(

MemberMember
(@rawhide)

Posted : 11/14/2012 9:28 am

Make no difference. Live your life.

MemberMember
(@tuffluck)

Posted : 11/14/2012 10:15 am

I used to smoke a pack a day and I quit around close to 3 months ago. Since then now only has my mental health improved but my complexion as well. I have also gained some healthy weight.

I won't say that quitting cigarettes will cure your acne, but I think it def does affect it. your body works as one, so by giving it toxins and poisons it will def take its toll.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 11/15/2012 8:44 pm

Alcohol actually raises estrogen, not testosterone. It helps some people's acne for that reason.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 11/15/2012 9:03 pm

Alcohol actually raises estrogen, not testosterone. It helps some people's acne for that reason.

Cool

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 11/16/2012 3:23 pm

Cigarettes did the worse damage of all for my skin. I smoked a lot in my teen years, then quit when I was 18. I had severe acne all over my cheeks smoking cigs, then when I stopped all cleared up except my chin. I think acne on the cheeks is directly related to smoking. Cigs do so much damage beside skin anyways, your not even smoking tobacco your smoking paper dipped in tobacco juice lol, unless you buy your own tobacco and roll it.

and alcohol is a known main cause of acne, for the reasons someone else stated, "safest" drink to drink though is high quality vodka, or red wine. When I drink I do absolute vodka/water/and lemon. Or just take straight shots and chase with water.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/16/2012 5:17 pm

There's studies that say both, it's not conclusive, either way, alcohol is not going to be good for your body.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 11/16/2012 7:01 pm

It raises estrogen which is why it contributes to breast cancer and feminizes men who drink a lot.

Alcohol in moderation isn't bad for you.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 11/16/2012 8:40 pm

what? feminizes men who drink a lot? lol that's ridiculous. Over half the guys I know drink a lot and for a lot of them there is nothing feminine about them. From what I have always read alcohol raises testosterone, which is why guys get "beer muscles" and people feel more confident when they drink, feeling more risky and frisky. more testosterone stimulates the oil glands creating more oil that gets clogged and causes acne, which is why a lot of people get breakouts after they drink, acne prone people or not.

Alcohol in moderation can be healthy though, I've even read studies that say people who have a couple glasses of red wine a week are usually more healthy then those who don't. And other things it does such as improve blood circulation.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 11/16/2012 10:20 pm

It does feminize men who drink a lot but it doesn't happen overnight.

Beer muscles are mental effects not physical.

I've never read that it increases test. I've read it increases estrogen in plent of places though. It's the reason they tell women with endometriosis to stay away from it because the estrogen feeds the disease. I'd link numerous sources but I can't on my iPad and my pc is broken.

MemberMember
(@rawhide)

Posted : 11/17/2012 9:34 am

Whiskey is an antioxidant

http://www.aim-digest.com/gateway/pages/general/articles/antiox/whisky.htm

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/19/2012 1:30 am

Hey Lucasbomb,

I used to smoke cigs a few years back (before i became health conscious). It's...one of the quickest most efficient ways to toxify your system. Smoking literally affects every aspect of your health. All that crap circulates throughout your blood and reaches every cell in your body. It's harsh, harsh stuff.

I know the reason for smoking, and it's quite a rush of relaxation. Many people who critique smoking/smokers don't realize how much of a relaxer it is, cause they've never done it. Which is good for them, but it's hard to relate to someone if you don't know what they're going through. Anyway, i've noticed that the healthier i eat, the less my brain craves a high. In fact, i haven't drank in almost eight months. And i was borderline alcoholic a few years back. I really do believe that you can alter your chemical brain activity positively by providing your body with the nutrients it needs to keep you mentally 'happy'.

Your thoughts?

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/22/2012 10:16 am

I don't drink, but I do smoke. I have found it impacts my acne fairly significantly I was on the e-cig for four months and saw improvement. The week I went back to smoking regular cigarettes, I got more blemishes, my skin dried out, and I had a ruddier colored complexion.