Ladies, Completely ...

Notifications
Clear all

Ladies, Completely Resolved My Hormonal Acne - Vitamin Deficiency

MemberMember
(@acmwebster)

Posted : 11/04/2012 4:59 pm

I have never posted here, but I've viewed these boards for years. I had to post because I completely resolved my acne by accident.

I'm a 29 year old woman. I've struggled with cystic acne since my teens. I used to get it all over my face. I took Accutane in my teens (big mistake, I believe) and it resolved it for a while, but it came back just on my chin and jawline after a few months. Then I went on birth control pills and that helped a bit for a while too, but I still got breakouts around my period. Then I stopped birth control and it came back with a vengeance.

A few months ago, I started taking folic acid because my husband and I are trying to conceive and my acne completely stopped. I have not had a single cyst since about 1 week after beginning folic acid supplementation. (And no, I am not pregnant, so I'm sure it's the folic acid.) This is the clearest my skin has been since I was 10 years old. So I did a little bit of research and found that another symptom of folic acid deficiency is canker sores in the mouth (which I also used to get frequently, especially during my period, and now no longer have). My research suggests that there is a complex relationship between liver health and hormone balance which can be assisted with the use of folic acid and other liver supporting vitamin and herbal supplements. If you have an excess of estrogen or androgens, you need your liver to filter the excess hormones from your body. There also seems to be some kind of connection between folic acid and homocysteine which has also been linked to hormone imbalance and acne. Folic acid is also needed for DNA synthesis.

My OBGYN advised I further supplement with a prenatal mutivitamin since I'm trying to conceive and my skin has gotten even better.

I added some supplements along the same lines so in total I am now taking:

Multivitam with folic acid, vitamin C and B complex- liver support and overall nutrition

Chasteberry - for regulation of hormones (do NOT take this if you are pregnant already or if you are on birth control)

Milk Thistle - liver support

Probiotics - nutrient absorption

It never occurred to me that I could have a nutritional deficiency because I am not a picky eater and I've always been kind of a health nut. I have always been so careful to get my 5 a day so I didn't think I needed a supplement! However, birth control pills have been linked to deficiency in folic acid so maybe the years of birth control exacerbated it.

This may not work for every woman, but vitamins and herbal supplements are much cheaper than dermatologists and high end skin treatments. It's worth a shot! I'm really excited by the miraculous results!

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 11/04/2012 5:11 pm

did you ever take oral antibiotics for your acne?

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 11/04/2012 5:25 pm

i also take folic acid (for cervical health) and unfortunately for me it doesnt help my skin, but does my cervix which is more important since ive had some issues.

i take 600mg/daily (along with a number of other vitamins, no gluten, exercise, lots of sleep and water etc) but still hormonal acne. i started saw palmetto 3 weeks ago so hoping tthat may help too in the coming months

MemberMember
(@wr1234)

Posted : 11/05/2012 2:37 pm

Definitely need to try this. Does it matter what time of day you take it?

MemberMember
(@ericgaults)

Posted : 11/08/2012 5:20 pm

This is quite interesting way. Is it applicable to all ages or there is a age bracker for this? I think this is worth a try

MemberMember
(@deann)

Posted : 11/09/2012 3:10 pm

did dr recommend chaste berry, iwas taking bc with much improvement had to go off yr ago do to pulmonary embolisum,i've read about chaste berry herbal hormonal balancing supplement afraid of embolisum again but really need acne help since off bc cronic acne 35 non-stop yr..i take the vitamins antiniotic which is always given for acne ur taking probiotic if u could let me know more on chaste berry n probiotic please advise i also use topicals retin a,clinamycin since off bc tried blue light skin gets very dry acne red scabby i dont know what to do like sd interested in chaste berry dont know if smae health risk as bc

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/09/2012 3:28 pm

Hm...I did a little research, but can't find anything conclusive. Can anyone explain what properties in folic acid help to alleviate acne? What does it do to the body? Regardless of whether it helps my skin or not, I have started taking it since yesterday because of this thread, mainly due to the fact it is supposed to help the cervix? I have some serrrrrrrious issues during that time of the month and so maybe this little vitamin thread will be a lifesaver. Thanks

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/09/2012 3:30 pm

I have above average levels of B9 [folic acid] and my skin is crap. I wish my acne had something to do with a vitamin deficiency but apparently I have perfect levels of everything.rolleyes.gifeusa_think.gif

Here are the symptoms of folate deficinecy, to help you all whether to supplement or not:

- diarrhea

- macrocytic anemia

- shortness of breath

- confusion

- forgetfulness

- depression

- numbness and tingling

- mouth ulcers

- palpitations

- irritability

All of these would have to be chronic and prominent symptoms. Luckily, even if you are not folate deficient, supplementing won't cause you any harm, as you just pee the excess out and you need extra large doses to cause any significant problems.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 11/09/2012 8:55 pm

i take folic acid, have for years ever since i had abnormal cells on my cervix and had to have a leep procedure done

ive taken up to 1000mg/daily, right now im taking 600mg daily

hasnt done anything for my hormonal acne in particular, but as well as know, what doesnt work for one, might work for the other- so might as well try it!

folic is cheap and good for your cervix!

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/10/2012 4:37 pm

If you're taking a birth control you need to be taking 1200 mcg of folic acid a day to compensate for the loss. I take a maximum dose pack of all vitamins. Vitamins may not cure acne for everyone but they certainly can help reduce it.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 11/10/2012 5:39 pm

hmmm i was told by my gyno that 1000mg is max for taking folic...

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/23/2012 12:49 pm

I have never posted here, but I've viewed these boards for years. I had to post because I completely resolved my acne by accident.

I'm a 29 year old woman. I've struggled with cystic acne since my teens. I used to get it all over my face. I took Accutane in my teens (big mistake, I believe) and it resolved it for a while, but it came back just on my chin and jawline after a few months. Then I went on birth control pills and that helped a bit for a while too, but I still got breakouts around my period. Then I stopped birth control and it came back with a vengeance.

A few months ago, I started taking folic acid because my husband and I are trying to conceive and my acne completely stopped. I have not had a single cyst since about 1 week after beginning folic acid supplementation. (And no, I am not pregnant, so I'm sure it's the folic acid.) This is the clearest my skin has been since I was 10 years old. So I did a little bit of research and found that another symptom of folic acid deficiency is canker sores in the mouth (which I also used to get frequently, especially during my period, and now no longer have). My research suggests that there is a complex relationship between liver health and hormone balance which can be assisted with the use of folic acid and other liver supporting vitamin and herbal supplements. If you have an excess of estrogen or androgens, you need your liver to filter the excess hormones from your body. There also seems to be some kind of connection between folic acid and homocysteine which has also been linked to hormone imbalance and acne. Folic acid is also needed for DNA synthesis.

My OBGYN advised I further supplement with a prenatal mutivitamin since I'm trying to conceive and my skin has gotten even better.

I added some supplements along the same lines so in total I am now taking:

Multivitam with folic acid, vitamin C and B complex- liver support and overall nutrition

Chasteberry - for regulation of hormones (do NOT take this if you are pregnant already or if you are on birth control)

Milk Thistle - liver support

Probiotics - nutrient absorption

It never occurred to me that I could have a nutritional deficiency because I am not a picky eater and I've always been kind of a health nut. I have always been so careful to get my 5 a day so I didn't think I needed a supplement! However, birth control pills have been linked to deficiency in folic acid so maybe the years of birth control exacerbated it.

This may not work for every woman, but vitamins and herbal supplements are much cheaper than dermatologists and high end skin treatments. It's worth a shot! I'm really excited by the miraculous results!

Good luck!

Well, how much folic acid do you take?

MemberMember
(@nattyjules)

Posted : 11/27/2012 9:58 am

With the chasteberry/agnus castus - as a side note, most naturopaths (myself included) do not recommend this herb if your menstrual cycle is already regular - i.e. your period is regular like clockwork. Chasteberry is fantastic if you have an irregular cycle.

If you have a regular cycle but have acne, you will need to investigate your hormone levels for polycystic ovarian syndrome and look into a PCOS herbal formula containing Licorice (Glyzzrhiza) and White Peony.

Also, your vitamin D3 levels are worth being checked, as well as investigating for adrenal fatigue.

MemberMember
(@audreyjade)

Posted : 11/27/2012 10:13 am

With the chasteberry/agnus castus - as a side note, most naturopaths (myself included) do not recommend this herb if your menstrual cycle is already regular - i.e. your period is regular like clockwork. Chasteberry is fantastic if you have an irregular cycle.

If you have a regular cycle but have acne, you will need to investigate your hormone levels for polycystic ovarian syndrome and look into a PCOS herbal formula containing Licorice (Glyzzrhiza) and White Peony.

Also, your vitamin D3 levels are worth being checked, as well as investigating for adrenal fatigue.

Thank you for this! I think I am going to check out Chasteberry. I'm 26 and have NEVER had a regular cycle. Maybe this will help.