Notifications
Clear all

Am I Doing The Right Thing?

MemberMember
(@nuclearsoda)

Posted : 10/30/2012 4:06 am

Hey all,

I've made some healthy changes in my life recently, in the pursuit of better health, and more specifically, a cure to my mild acne. I haven't seen significant changes yet, so I just want to make sure I'm doing the right here, or maybe I just need to give it more time to get into my system and make visible changes to my skin.

1) Apples and Carrot

I'm 20 next month, and up until now my diet (fruit and vegetable lacking) hasn't been great. Recently I've been trying to eat better, and I've started eating apples, as I've heard they're great for your skin. I've been eating about 2 or 3 red apples daily. Is that a good idea? I was cautious because they're quite sweet and sugary (even though it's natural sugar) so I was worried maybe I was eating too much and it was maintaining my acne?

I've also started eating raw carrots, which I've read are great for your skin. Is this a good idea? I'm only eating about one daily at the moment, but I could eat more.

2) Pure Green Tea

I heard drinking green tea can work wonders for your skin, so I bought some pure green tea teabags (UK) and have been drinking about 2 or 3 cups a day, usually in the evening. I don't add milk, and I don't add sugar or sweetener. I also use two teabags per cup and let them brew for a while, to make the tea stronger. My logic being that if it's stronger...surely it's more powerful right? I could be wrong.

I've also been splashing the green tea on my face, as I read that using it externally can help too.

3) Water

I drink a LOT of water. I'm pretty sure no one's going to tell me that's bad, as I've heard so much good stuff about it.

That's it...it'd just be nice to have some reassurance that if I stick with these things I will eventually see changes. It's been about two weeks now and nothing really seems to have changed. I just thought maybe because my diet hasn't been great up until now, it will take some time for my body to get used to the good stuff and work.

Please, any help or advice would be really appreciated. My acne has such a negative impact on my confidence and happiness, it's a daily struggle and I just want rid of it.

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 10/30/2012 8:05 am

I would suggest figuring out the cause of your acne. Carrots and apples should be eaten moderately, so don't eat more than what you;re eating right now. They both contain a lot of fructose which can cause blood sugar spikes.

Don't think that if something is stronger it has to work better. Green tea can actually be quite acidic , especially if its stronger than it should be. I drink green tea but only once in a while. I find that there are many other things that have even more oxidants, such as goji berries or other plants.

Drinking lots of water is good of course, but don't overdo it. It all depends on how many calories you're consuming, and how much water you lose through perspiration. For 2000 calories you should drink at least 2 liters of water per day. I usually drink around 2-3 liters per day to keep my kidneys healthy.

Also, I don't know if you;re a girl or boy, but acne can really be triggered by hormones. Maybe some primrose oil capsules and fish oil capsules will also help balance hormones. That's what I'm taking right now and the effects are starting to show.

Also make sure that you get some regular exercise (this is where I really struggle), and cut out the bad things that can cause acne out of your diet. It's not enough to add some good stuff if you don't eliminate some bad stuff. Are you dairy or gluten-free? Are you eating refined sugars?...All this needs to be considered.

MemberMember
(@nuclearsoda)

Posted : 10/30/2012 8:17 am

I would suggest figuring out the cause of your acne. Carrots and apples should be eaten moderately, so don't eat more than what you;re eating right now. They both contain a lot of fructose which can cause blood sugar spikes.

Don't think that if something is stronger it has to work better. Green tea can actually be quite acidic , especially if its stronger than it should be. I drink green tea but only once in a while. I find that there are many other things that have even more oxidants, such as goji berries or other plants.

Drinking lots of water is good of course, but don't overdo it. It all depends on how many calories you're consuming, and how much water you lose through perspiration. For 2000 calories you should drink at least 2 liters of water per day. I usually drink around 2-3 liters per day to keep my kidneys healthy.

Also, I don't know if you;re a girl or boy, but acne can really be triggered by hormones. Maybe some primrose oil capsules and fish oil capsules will also help balance hormones. That's what I'm taking right now and the effects are starting to show.

Also make sure that you get some regular exercise (this is where I really struggle), and cut out the bad things that can cause acne out of your diet. It's not enough to add some good stuff if you don't eliminate some bad stuff. Are you dairy or gluten-free? Are you eating refined sugars?...All this needs to be considered.

I'm a boy, so yeah I'm sure hormones are to blame for some of it. I have fish oil capsules at home so I'll start taking those :) I've replaced eating chocolate and other sugary stuff with the fruit and vegetables, so I've definitely improved my diet. I have a treadmill at home that I like to run on, and I've heard that sweating is good for the skin as you sweat out the bad stuff apparently...I'm cautious about exercising though because I've also heard that sweating can be bad as it clogs the pores if left on the skin for too long...I could easily implement a daily run into my day though if you think that would help my skin?

One of the most confusing things is the contrast in information...one site will tell you something is amazing for skin...another will tell you to watch out as it can make it worse :/

Regarding being dairy-free I don't have cereal or drink milk...I do have butter though on a whole grain sandwich.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/30/2012 10:41 am

Funny, I've just cut out green tea because of the caffeine content and switched to herbal tea instead. I think caffeine aggravates my stomach and makes my gut condition worse. If you want real help for your skin and body, check out the gut-healing thread (started by Whitefox). You'll find some pretty eye-opening information there. Read the whole thing from the beginning. That thread changed the direction of my path.

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 10/30/2012 11:39 am

In my opinion and from what I experienced myself, I believe that not all forms of exercise are good for all people. From what I read and from other people's experience it seems that lifting weights and excessive running can actually cause more acne breakouts, especially in men. Not really because of the sweat (since you can wash your face afterwards and remove the extra oil), but more because it promotes testosterone production. Men obviously produce a lot more testosterone than women, so you don't want to mess with that. I think Primrose oil is ok to take as well, although I hear that women benefit more from it. Fish oil is definitely very good, because our diets have an improper ration of Omega 6- Omega 3. We need way more Omega 3 than most diets can provide. Make sure that you take a quality supplement of fish oil (I take salmon fish oil).

Since you're a guy I would highly recommend taking up a martial art or even tai chi (in case you like lighter forms of exercise). My husband has been doing martial arts for years and he has the clearest skin I've ever seen in a person. I'm not saying it's just because of martial arts, but i found that most men that practice it tend to have a more balance lifestyle. A balanced lifestyle also means that hormones are balanced. I used to go for tai chi also and most men in my class had amazing skin (not to mention other benefits).

So I would recommend that whatever you do, develop a daily routine. The body likes to work in cycles. Get enough sleep, eat right (butter is good, especially organic, avoid milk and cheese, refined sugar and processed snacks as much as possible), go for a regular form of exercise that you enjoy, and just try to live your life without that much worry. I know that acne sucks. I've had days when I would put anything on my skin just hoping that acne will disappear. I soon realized that harsh treatments are only going to make it worse. Acne has an inside cause that we must figure out individually. That is why there are so many contradictory things online too.

Anyway, don;t believe those that state they have cured acne with one remedy or treatment. Even most people on harsh treatments find that their acne comes back after a while if they don't change their lifestyles.

If you want to apply something external to your acne, I really like using clay masks. They don't irritate the skin and they get rid of pimples faster. Clay doesn't treat the cause of acne, as most creams or treatments don't, but at least it doesn't do any damage to your skin or health. I mix it with a little vinegar or lemon usually, but you can use it mixed with water only.

MemberMember
(@nuclearsoda)

Posted : 10/30/2012 12:31 pm

In my opinion and from what I experienced myself, I believe that not all forms of exercise are good for all people. From what I read and from other people's experience it seems that lifting weights and excessive running can actually cause more acne breakouts, especially in men. Not really because of the sweat (since you can wash your face afterwards and remove the extra oil), but more because it promotes testosterone production. Men obviously produce a lot more testosterone than women, so you don't want to mess with that. I think Primrose oil is ok to take as well, although I hear that women benefit more from it. Fish oil is definitely very good, because our diets have an improper ration of Omega 6- Omega 3. We need way more Omega 3 than most diets can provide. Make sure that you take a quality supplement of fish oil (I take salmon fish oil).

Since you're a guy I would highly recommend taking up a martial art or even tai chi (in case you like lighter forms of exercise). My husband has been doing martial arts for years and he has the clearest skin I've ever seen in a person. I'm not saying it's just because of martial arts, but i found that most men that practice it tend to have a more balance lifestyle. A balanced lifestyle also means that hormones are balanced. I used to go for tai chi also and most men in my class had amazing skin (not to mention other benefits).

So I would recommend that whatever you do, develop a daily routine. The body likes to work in cycles. Get enough sleep, eat right (butter is good, especially organic, avoid milk and cheese, refined sugar and processed snacks as much as possible), go for a regular form of exercise that you enjoy, and just try to live your life without that much worry. I know that acne sucks. I've had days when I would put anything on my skin just hoping that acne will disappear. I soon realized that harsh treatments are only going to make it worse. Acne has an inside cause that we must figure out individually. That is why there are so many contradictory things online too.

Anyway, don;t believe those that state they have cured acne with one remedy or treatment. Even most people on harsh treatments find that their acne comes back after a while if they don't change their lifestyles.

If you want to apply something external to your acne, I really like using clay masks. They don't irritate the skin and they get rid of pimples faster. Clay doesn't treat the cause of acne, as most creams or treatments don't, but at least it doesn't do any damage to your skin or health. I mix it with a little vinegar or lemon usually, but you can use it mixed with water only.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help :) I'll definitely take into account.

I think in terms of the routine exercise I'll try the running and see if that affects it at all, it's just out of convenience as the treadmill's just upstairs and it would fit nicely in to my schedule. I'll keep up with the apples and carrots daily, I'm thinking about two of each everyday, possibly three carrots. I'm avoiding the sugary snacks, and drinking only tea and water.

I'll look into the clay masks as well...can these just be bought from the store?

I think for me a lot of it is stress related too, it's a vicious circle...I get acne...then I get stressed about the acne...which causes more acne. So I guess I just need to try and be more positive about it too, which should come naturally with a healthier lifestyle I suppose :) Thanks again :)

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 10/30/2012 12:54 pm

You're welcome. Clay can be found in most stores, but most probably in health or supplement stores.

Yes, it is definitely a vicious circle for all acne sufferers. We need to just face the facts and stop being negative because it won't help:)

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/30/2012 12:54 pm

Hey all,

I've made some healthy changes in my life recently, in the pursuit of better health, and more specifically, a cure to my mild acne. I haven't seen significant changes yet, so I just want to make sure I'm doing the right here, or maybe I just need to give it more time to get into my system and make visible changes to my skin.

1) Apples and Carrot

I'm 20 next month, and up until now my diet (fruit and vegetable lacking) hasn't been great. Recently I've been trying to eat better, and I've started eating apples, as I've heard they're great for your skin. I've been eating about 2 or 3 red apples daily. Is that a good idea? I was cautious because they're quite sweet and sugary (even though it's natural sugar) so I was worried maybe I was eating too much and it was maintaining my acne?

I've also started eating raw carrots, which I've read are great for your skin. Is this a good idea? I'm only eating about one daily at the moment, but I could eat more.

2) Pure Green Tea

I heard drinking green tea can work wonders for your skin, so I bought some pure green tea teabags (UK) and have been drinking about 2 or 3 cups a day, usually in the evening. I don't add milk, and I don't add sugar or sweetener. I also use two teabags per cup and let them brew for a while, to make the tea stronger. My logic being that if it's stronger...surely it's more powerful right? I could be wrong.

I've also been splashing the green tea on my face, as I read that using it externally can help too.

3) Water

I drink a LOT of water. I'm pretty sure no one's going to tell me that's bad, as I've heard so much good stuff about it.

That's it...it'd just be nice to have some reassurance that if I stick with these things I will eventually see changes. It's been about two weeks now and nothing really seems to have changed. I just thought maybe because my diet hasn't been great up until now, it will take some time for my body to get used to the good stuff and work.

Please, any help or advice would be really appreciated. My acne has such a negative impact on my confidence and happiness, it's a daily struggle and I just want rid of it.

Natural sugar is still sugar. It is the fibre in the fruit that stops the sugar spiking your insulin levels. But apples and berries are good choices. Why just carrots? Green beans, spinach, kale, sweet potatoes. All nutrient dense.

What about protein and essential fats?

Lets forgot about acne for the sake of argument. You need to provide your body with balanced nutrient dense foods. It's once you have established a baseline that you can start picking it apart,

From your post your diet is lacking in key macro and micro nutrients for general health. Fix that before fixing acne, assuming of course your acne is actually diet related.

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 10/30/2012 12:55 pm

Try juicing some of the apples or carrots. I hear that can be very beneficial too.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/30/2012 12:56 pm

I hear what you are saying but there is no conclusive proof or study to back up the claims of weight lift effecting acne.

It may be the case in some individuals but not for all.

It is different for all people and unless that person knows for 100% sure can't really be counted as a factor.

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 10/30/2012 12:57 pm

Green juices can also be very nutrient rich. He did not say what his diet actually is, but only that he incorporated some apples and carrots into it. Sugar is not the same in fruits, it is actually fructose and it can be beneficial in small doses. Refined sugars on the other hand have been linked to cancer and so on.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/30/2012 12:58 pm

Try juicing some of the apples or carrots. I hear that can be very beneficial too.

According to what study?

How does juicing the two make any different.

The OP (going one what they have written) is deficient in a lot of key nutrients.

I honestly believe everyone should focus on balance in their nutrition first then try adding or subtracting one variable at a time

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 10/30/2012 1:02 pm

I said it was what other people have experienced. I haven't tried weight lifting, and I'm not a guy either. Of course some people may experience it and other may not, but it may be a factor to take under consideration. It's the same with everything. Some factor can lead to acne in my case, and it may have no effect in your case.

According to what study?

The OP (going one what they have written) is deficient in a lot of key nutrients.

I honestly believe everyone should focus on balance in their nutrition first then try adding or subtracting one variable at a time

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/30/2012 1:11 pm

Green juices can also be very nutrient rich. He did not say what his diet actually is, but only that he incorporated some apples and carrots into it. Sugar is not the same in fruits, it is actually fructose and it can be beneficial in small doses. Refined sugars on the other hand have been linked to cancer and so on.

You're right but it is still sugar. Whatever way you look at it.

I've trained people with acne before and eliminated fruit from their diet to help burn fat. There acne improved. Now not saying fruit is the key factor but i eliminated sugar to stablise the said peoples hormones.

Point is unless the OP establishes a good base line he just won't know what which direction to go.

I said it was what other people have experienced. I haven't tried weight lifting, and I'm not a guy either. Of course some people may experience it and other may not, but it may be a factor to take under consideration. It's the same with everything. Some factor can lead to acne in my case, and it may have no effect in your case.

According to what study?

Juicing can be beneficial because you get more nutrients faster. Google it. The OP said he wants to eat 2-3 carrots per day so why not juice them? Anyway, why don't you come up with something constructive in the meantime.

How does getting the nutrients faster improve anything? The fibre in the fruit and veg will slow the digestion regardless of it is jucied or not. I would actually argue juicing is slightly less efficient as some fibre can be left behind in the juicer,

Getting the nutrients faster is completely irrelevant when it comes to eating the right foods. Nutrient timing and absorption is at the bottom of the list of priorities. This is something we have often indoctrinated to believe and has no real bases in reality.

Absorption speed is imortant to someone like an endurance athlete doing multiple glycogen events, for us normal mortals is far less important in any aspect. The body will still absorb it

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 10/30/2012 1:18 pm

I awarned

I've trained people with acne before and eliminated fruit from their diet to help burn fat. There acne improved. Now not saying fruit is the key factor but i eliminated sugar to stablise the said peoples hormones.

Point is unless the OP establishes a good base line he just won't know what which direction to go.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/30/2012 1:22 pm

I awarned

I warned him as well in my first post that apples and carrots can actually spike sugar levels. But this also depends on his insulin response and many other factors. I do believe that limiting sugary fruit and starches is definitely a good idea. I actually eliminated all refined grains and sugars from my diet, but I still eat some fruit. If someone feels that carrots and apples can be good for them, I won't argue. Carrots and apples definitely have plenty of nutrients. I'm more into the green stuff though. I think green leaves have way more benefits than most fruits and veggies.

According to what study?

Juicing can be beneficial because you get more nutrients faster. Google it. The OP said he wants to eat 2-3 carrots per day so why not juice them? Anyway, why don't you come up with something constructive in the meantime.

How does getting the nutrients faster improve anything? The fibre in the fruit and veg will slow the digestion regardless of it is jucied or not. I would actually argue juicing is slightly less efficient as some fibre can be left behind in the juicer,

Getting the nutrients faster is completely irrelevant when it comes to eating the right foods. Nutrient timing and absorption is at the bottom of the list of priorities. This is something we have often indoctrinated to believe and has no real bases in reality.

Absorption speed is imortant to someone like an endurance athlete doing multiple glycogen events, for us normal mortals is far less important in any aspect. The body will still absorb it

I would have to disagree. For example, I have cleaned my kidneys with parsley juice and parsley tea. I can tell you that eating fresh parsley, while beneficial, did not have the same effect. Juicing has more than one purpose in my opinion, and the best thing is the detoxing effects (when using the right ingredients of course). Also, there is a whole thread here about a guy who cleared his acne by juicing, so I won't go into that because I have less experience with that.

I do agree.

The variables are many. One can never 100% know.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/30/2012 1:54 pm

Sorry qouted the wrong post above was meant to be the one before that.

Back the juicing debate.

My argument is how does it make any difference? Nutrient vaule is what is important.

Based on your argument I could argue that juicing a chocolate bar and ice cream to make a milkshake will make it better nutritionally. But all the while the ingredients haven't changed at all

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/30/2012 2:56 pm

The argument for juicing is that a person could potentially drink far more nutrients than they can chew and swallow. Would you want to sit and eat 15 carrots? Probably not. But you could juice them and drink them down and get the nutrients of 15 carrots. See?

This is aside the sugar argument. I don't personally feel that carrots or other fruits and veggies are bad because of sugar. But the same idea applies to whatever you juice.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/30/2012 5:39 pm

The argument for juicing is that a person could potentially drink far more nutrients than they can chew and swallow. Would you want to sit and eat 15 carrots? Probably not. But you could juice them and drink them down and get the nutrients of 15 carrots. See?

This is aside the sugar argument. I don't personally feel that carrots or other fruits and veggies are bad because of sugar. But the same idea applies to whatever you juice.

That is a valid point but the the argument was about rate of absorption which has absolutely no impact on the said foods. The nutritional content remains the same.

Too much of any one food item is potentially not good as it can introduce an imbalance.

Okay yes there a better forms of sugar however it can still cause issues if consumed into high of a concentration.

The best advice i can offer to anyone is to just eat balanced and intelligently. Make better choices in eating nutrient dense foods. Then people will be in far better position to start eliminating foods suspected of aggravating their acne.

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 10/31/2012 1:42 am

It does not remain the same, please check your facts. The cellulose wall of the vegetable and fruits makes it hard for the digestive system to process all the nutrients. It's not just about the nutrient content, but also about the body's ability to absorb all of those nutrients. Also, liquids are metabolized differently, and that is why I can tell you from first hand experience that many juices can clean the kidneys, while a whole vegetable won't. Believe what you like, but I feel the difference.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/31/2012 10:30 am

It does not remain the same, please check your facts. The cellulose wall of the vegetable and fruits makes it hard for the digestive system to process all the nutrients. It's not just about the nutrient content, but also about the body's ability to absorb all of those nutrients. Also, liquids are metabolized differently, and that is why I can tell you from first hand experience that many juices can clean the kidneys, while a whole vegetable won't. Believe what you like, but I feel the difference.

If it works for you great.

However the bodies ability to absorb nutrients is reflective in what we eat rather than how we eat it. Eating more fibre and drinking more water will increase absorption. Water is the metabolic solution used to help break down food and absorb it.

If this is so much better than why doesn't everything adobt an liquid diet?

I would argue that the digestive system is like any other muscle and needs exercise. For this we need fibre and proteins that take time to break down.

I'm sorry but i 100% disagree with you. What you eat over how it is eaten will always but the number 1 priority for any dietary benefits. If you feel it helps you then carry on but it is the nutrients in the said that is doing the work over on how quick your body absorbs it.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/31/2012 10:55 am

Just to add to the above.

If blending foods increases absorption rate than i am assuming these people don't chew their food? lol

Surely chewing is having the same effect?