Notifications
Clear all

Ortho Tri Cyclen Making Acne Worse Before Better

MemberMember
(@enelaura)

Posted : 10/14/2012 7:49 pm

I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclen for about 3 weeks now and have noticed my acne worsening. I've read through some older posts and googled a few things - it seems that some people experience their acne worsening before clearing up when starting birth control as a treatment. Does anyone have any experience with this? Specifically with Ortho Tri Cyclen? 3 weeks isn't very long, but I'd like to get an idea of when I'll start seeing results, if any.

Thanks!!!

MemberMember
(@katelibby)

Posted : 10/14/2012 8:29 pm

Is it ortho lo or regular?

MemberMember
(@enelaura)

Posted : 10/15/2012 9:47 am

Is it ortho lo or regular?

Regular

MemberMember
(@katelibby)

Posted : 10/16/2012 8:51 am

Well I took ortho tri cyclen a long time ago. Right after it had just been approved to help with acne. This was like 1999 probably. It cleared me up completely with the occasional bump here or there once in a while I don't remember an initial breakout. I just remember after about 4 months I had way less acne and it just got better. My daughter takes it and she didn't have an initial breakout either but she was also using a topical antibiotic. Her skin is mostly clear now. She does have a few bumps that pop up every once in awhile. But it is way better than it was before ortho. A good friend of hers took it and said that she didn't notice a difference until about month 3 and then every month it just got better and better. But I have heard that some people do have an initial breakout. So that might be what's going on with u. If it doesn't start to get better after 3 months then you probably need to switch. Give it 4 complete packs. However some people don't do well on tri phasic pills. Some do better on mono phasic lime yaz or Yasmin. So you will probably just have to give it time. I will

Say from what I have heard most deems like yaz or Yasmin for acne over ortho tri cyclen. I had a long talk with my gyno about that yesterday. Another option for you if the ortho doesn't work and you don't want to change to yaz or Yasmin, is to add spiro with the ortho. Spiro works as an anti androgen. That's why yaz and Yasmin work well because their progesterone is an anti androgen similar to spiro. My gyno and I discussed adding spiro to my daughter ortho if she doesn't clear up completely. I don't really want her on has or Yasmin because of the increased blood clot risk.

MemberMember
(@enelaura)

Posted : 12/02/2012 10:17 pm

Well I took ortho tri cyclen a long time ago. Right after it had just been approved to help with acne. This was like 1999 probably. It cleared me up completely with the occasional bump here or there once in a while I don't remember an initial breakout. I just remember after about 4 months I had way less acne and it just got better. My daughter takes it and she didn't have an initial breakout either but she was also using a topical antibiotic. Her skin is mostly clear now. She does have a few bumps that pop up every once in awhile. But it is way better than it was before ortho. A good friend of hers took it and said that she didn't notice a difference until about month 3 and then every month it just got better and better. But I have heard that some people do have an initial breakout. So that might be what's going on with u. If it doesn't start to get better after 3 months then you probably need to switch. Give it 4 complete packs. However some people don't do well on tri phasic pills. Some do better on mono phasic lime yaz or Yasmin. So you will probably just have to give it time. I will

Say from what I have heard most deems like yaz or Yasmin for acne over ortho tri cyclen. I had a long talk with my gyno about that yesterday. Another option for you if the ortho doesn't work and you don't want to change to yaz or Yasmin, is to add spiro with the ortho. Spiro works as an anti androgen. That's why yaz and Yasmin work well because their progesterone is an anti androgen similar to spiro. My gyno and I discussed adding spiro to my daughter ortho if she doesn't clear up completely. I don't really want her on has or Yasmin because of the increased blood clot risk.

Thank you for the response! I havent been back to check up on my post since I had to quit after a month of the pill because my doctor requested some blood tests for my hormone levels without being on the pill. I've considered going back on but would rather not deal with the massive break out once again. I'm currently looking into going on the Paleo diet to see if something I'm eating is causing my breakouts.