Notifications
Clear all

Weight Training And Oily Skin?

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 09/29/2012 4:20 pm

So i've been clear for a while now, but i still get small spots now and then which is why im here.

Anyway i've noticed the only time i break out now is after training sessions, my skin seems to get more oily when this happens as well. there is some kind of hormone which is released with weight training, anyone care to clarify? I'm on the gut diet which has helped me greatly, but i've still got a couple of months to go.

tdlr weight training causes oily skin for me, anyone else agree?

i loathe talking about acne.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/29/2012 4:42 pm

Weight training stimulates DHT (Dihydrotestosterone). High DHT = oily skin.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 10/01/2012 5:49 pm

So i've been clear for a while now, but i still get small spots now and then which is why im here.

Anyway i've noticed the only time i break out now is after training sessions, my skin seems to get more oily when this happens as well. there is some kind of hormone which is released with weight training, anyone care to clarify? I'm on the gut diet which has helped me greatly, but i've still got a couple of months to go.

tdlr weight training causes oily skin for me, anyone else agree?

i loathe talking about acne.

hi

i have the same problem as you man. i love weight training but its really hard to find that balance. maybe try alternating between weight training and cardio to try and counteract the affects.

also try intermittent fasting when you train, not only does it help with acne it has also been shown to have positives for body building .

you will find topics about it on bodybuilding websites and stuff and you can read my post on the message board about its benefits for you skin and general health http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/321191-intermittent-fasting-you-really-need-to-try-this/page__pid__3291183#entry3291183

hope this helps

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/02/2012 6:28 am

Why does no one take into account the amount of bacteria picked on ones from gyms and weights?

I challenge anyone not touch their face with any part of your hand next time you train. It's harder than you think.

Testosterone is getting a bad rep albeit, it MAY contribute to acne.

I was out the gym for two years due to a bad leg injury and my acne remained. Had treat it with BP twice a day to stay clear.

Also i know tons of people with oily skin, who of whom train, none of them have acne. It's just not a conclusive fact to say working out has anything to do with it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/02/2012 6:57 pm

Why does no one take into account the amount of bacteria picked on ones from gyms and weights?

I challenge anyone not touch their face with any part of your hand next time you train. It's harder than you think.

I was out the gym for two years due to a bad leg injury and my acne remained. Had treat it with BP twice a day to stay clear.

Also i know tons of people with oily skin, who of whom train, none of them have acne. It's just not a conclusive fact to say working out has anything to do with it.

Because bacteria is by far the least important factor in developing acne.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/03/2012 4:17 am

But it is contributing factor. For acne to exist bacteria is required.

My point is too many blame testosterone when there are so many other factors going on.

So i know many many people with oily skin, they train hard, they are ripped to the bone but they have no acne. That in itself says it is not conclusive.

I have yet to read a concrete study that clearly shows testosterone is the key factor. Yes it COULD make it worse. But it is not the only variable going on. People fail to factor in diet, life style, cross contamination i.e touching ones face after handling dirty weights.

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 10/13/2012 8:48 am

http://www.acneeinstein.com/bodybuilding-acne/

This is interesting

MemberMember
(@777lb)

Posted : 10/14/2012 7:44 am

I get it pretty bad when I run or lift. I find that a good pre-wash before you workout helps eliminate alot of the oil build up. I use Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in water, its been working wonders!

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 10/14/2012 1:49 pm

My point is too many blame testosterone when there are so many other factors going on.

So i know many many people with oily skin, they train hard, they are ripped to the bone but they have no acne. That in itself says it is not conclusive.

I have yet to read a concrete study that clearly shows testosterone is the key factor. Yes it COULD make it worse. But it is not the only variable going on. People fail to factor in diet, life style, cross contamination i.e touching ones face after handling dirty weights.

Bacteria isn't really an issue. If it was for example, all homeless people that haven't washed their faces in weeks would have terrible cystic acne but they don't. Acne is all about sebum.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/15/2012 9:20 am

Bacteria isn't really an issue. If it was for example, all homeless people that haven't washed their faces in weeks would have terrible cystic acne but they don't. Acne is all about sebum.

No. Its not about sebem either. It's about skin cells that don't exfoliate properly. Ther are many people with oily but clear skin and people with dry skin and acne. There are many on this board.

The quality of your sebum affects you skin cells though. See the linoleic acid deficiency thread.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/15/2012 2:47 pm

It's a fair argument.

Like the testosterone argument. It's a fair argument but it doesn't account for everyone with acne.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 10/15/2012 7:23 pm

because the odds that the weights are covered with p.acne is seriously unlikely. And like alterna said, it is not the most important factor.

and it's not sebum either.

It's inflammation. Your body post-workout is inflamed - pumped - including your skin. If your inflammation response is jacked up - the wrong kind inflammation, the kind resultant from too much sugar, too little omega3's, stress, histamines, etc. - that additional bit may be the tipping point, doesn't really matter that it's good for you, at this point it's become a bit of a cascade effect.

The answer is to look at your diet, lifestyle, stress levels, and see what sources of negative inflammation you are unnecessarily subjecting yourself to. Cut them. Keep lifting.

Both my BF and I train (ariventa on here) we both had some pretty shit skin. We both have pretty clear skin after following anti-inflammatory diets, still training.

P.S. Alterna nearly always knows what she's talking about. As does SweetJade. I'm not hardly ever on these boards anymore, but I want the noobs to know who to listen to.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/17/2012 6:34 am

because the odds that the weights are covered with p.acne is seriously unlikely. And like alterna said, it is not the most important factor.

and it's not sebum either.

It's inflammation. Your body post-workout is inflamed - pumped - including your skin. If your inflammation response is jacked up - the wrong kind inflammation, the kind resultant from too much sugar, too little omega3's, stress, histamines, etc. - that additional bit may be the tipping point, doesn't really matter that it's good for you, at this point it's become a bit of a cascade effect.

The answer is to look at your diet, lifestyle, stress levels, and see what sources of negative inflammation you are unnecessarily subjecting yourself to. Cut them. Keep lifting.

Both my BF and I train (ariventa on here) we both had some pretty shit skin. We both have pretty clear skin after following anti-inflammatory diets, still training.

P.S. Alterna nearly always knows what she's talking about. As does SweetJade. I'm not hardly ever on these boards anymore, but I want the noobs to know who to listen to.

I was just using it as an example.

My whole argument is that too many people blame one thing in this case testosterone. It's one factor that does not account for case of acne.

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 10/20/2012 7:20 am

I'm pretty sure that for me, it has something to do with the masses of calories that need to be consumed in order to bulk up.

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/22/2012 1:15 pm

Unfortunately, and sadly enough I think you guys are right about the connection between weight lifting and oil production of the skin. I noticed that on weekends when I do not train, the next morning my forehead and hair scalp would be less oily (still oily though) than mornings following days on which I train!

Does that mean that one has to give up completely or is there a way to still do some weight lifting and not have the extra oil production as a side effect! I am 182cm tall and weight 180.4 lbs (12st 12.78lb) and look a bit skinny and would like to naturally gain a bit of muscles without taking any supplements. I have been working out for about two years doing 4-5 weight exercises 3-4 days a week and then once or twice a week I would do cardio for 45 mins or so.

So my question is: does one have to stop completely or is there a way to still work out but not get the bad side effect?

Thanks