Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angrybird89

Got Prescribed Accutane, But Skeptical To Take It. Acne Is Not That Bad.

I am a 22 year old male that has been suffering with acne and extremely oily skin since I was 16. I was recently put on antibiotics and 2 topicals (Aczone in the morning, veltin gel at night) and it cleared me up somewhat.

However, everytime I go drinking and stay up late I break out (7-8 new pimples).

I was so frustrated that I asked my derm and she prescribed me for 40mg Claravis.

The thing is, right now, I am not THAT bad, I only have 3-4ish active pimples on my chin and the rest are scars. Looks like this

http://cysticpimpletreatement.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/cystic-pimple-2.jpg

Should I go ahead and start my 6 month accutane? Or should I stick to topicals until they stop working because my acne isnt THAT bad.

I am a 22 year old male that has been suffering with acne and extremely oily skin since I was 16. I was recently put on antibiotics and 2 topicals (Aczone in the morning, veltin gel at night) and it cleared me up somewhat.

However, everytime I go drinking and stay up late I break out (7-8 new pimples).

I was so frustrated that I asked my derm and she prescribed me for 40mg Claravis.

The thing is, right now, I am not THAT bad, I only have 3-4ish active pimples on my chin and the rest are scars. Looks like this

http://cysticpimplet...ic-pimple-2.jpg

Should I go ahead and start my 6 month accutane? Or should I stick to topicals until they stop working because my acne isnt THAT bad.

You'll have to read the negative stories of Accutane and decide for yourself. "Healing the long-term damage of Accutane" is one post on this board that may change your mind about Accutane. The side effects do happen and they are very real. There is really no way to say if Accutane will do that to you personally. Also remember that even the people who do well on Accutane often aren't cured permanently. Many people go on a second course, or a third, and some even more. What Accutane does is TEMPORARILY shrink your sebaceous glands. These grow back slowly over time.

At a scientific biological level, I wouldn't recommend either of those routes. Both are just masking the symptoms, and not curing the cause. You see, the body is like a car almost. When a car starts to have a problem, the "check engine" light turns on. Do you fix the problem by covering that light with masking tape? Essentially, the same thing is happening with how the modern medical model is treating acne. Based on scientific data, we KNOW what causes acne. Contrary to what every "doctor" and "dermatologist" says, acne IS related to diet.

Acne is a sign that your body is breaking down. Taking powerful medication such as antibiotics for acne is a horrible thing to do for your system. Antibiotics should only be used for life threatening pathogens, as it was originally created for. Antibiotics wipe out all bacteria in your gut, the bad and the crucial good ones. It can take years to restore your gut to a healthy flora ecology. And Accutane... Don't get me started with that poison. Yes, Accutane is literally poison - Not just exaggerating. It should be a crime to prescribe Accutane - And it is in many countries.

What I recommend for you to do is be your own doctor. Start researching natural ways to heal your body (tons of information on this website). Acne is a sign of your body breaking down: Acne just doesn't appear for no reason. You mentioned that when you party and drink, you have a big break out. That's your body telling you "Hey, stop drinking and poisoning me!"

Personally I suggest you go the natural way to cure yourself, like myself and so many others have been able to do. Start doing the elimination diet, and see what foods you can't tolerate (gas, burping, aches, bloating, etc are signs that you can't tolerate whatever you ate 2-6 hours prior). Start taking supplements for vitamins and minerals. Zinc. Probiotics. Exercise. No gluten. No/Very minimal sugar. Water. Deep breathing (important for healthy adrenal system). Start taking these steps, and you will heal your body. And I say heal your body because you can't heal acne - that's just a symptom.

Edited by overfl00d

I am currently on day five of accutane. I am a 23 year old male weighing only 150 pounds, but my derm prescribed me 40mg for my very light acne (4-5 actives at most). Do you think this is too strong? Should I talk to the derm and ask for 30mg to start it off?