Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jumpingbeans12342

I'm At A Complete Lose. Please Help Me (Pictures)

So...I am an aspiring actress and my acne scars are holding me back. Big time. Im in pretty reasonable shape, talented ( from what I have been told) but my skin is causing me to lose jobs. I ha a laser treatment done about 3 years ago that helped tremendously but not enough. Plus I cannot swing $2000 anytime soon (also a college student)

Click Here for Pictures

Password: Acne_scars2012

Please do not share these photos. I am only sharing because I am in desperate need.

What is the best course of action to treat my scars? Ive been looking into dermarolling and some at gome chemical peels. What types of scars do I have? I have rolling, crater like scars for sure since they cannot be hidden by makeup...it's weird because my face feels really smooth, it just looks awful.

Please help me.

Edited by Jumpingbeans12342

Okay, so, what type of laser treatment did you have done before? They generally look like a bunch of shallow icepicks/boxcars. Icepicks are generally difficult, but these are shallow so they can be managed. The only think i can think of is a fractionally ablative laser like Fraxel Re:pair, Deep/Total FX, or Mixto.

Don't waste your time with chemical peels, they won't do anything.

Aside from that, from a career perspective, if you think your acne scars are, indeed, holding you back, go for theater acting jobs. Skin complexion is barely an issue there, if at all. It's only for film/video work where it can be an issue.

Edited by DRaGZ

TCA Cross generally isn't used for those kind of scars, which are wider than they are deep.

Subcision probably wouldn't do much because these scars are not bound down.

Unfortunately, TCA that would be light enough for peels won't do much for scars. They will do stuff for texture, sure, but the scars will be more or less unaffected.

The problem is that if you used a TCA solution that was strong enough to actually help scars as a peel, her entire face would pretty much become a scab for weeks, and that's no good.

Perhaps needling? Especially with a roller. People have attested to having results with that methodology, but I have not seen any results firsthand myself. And, to be honest, it's probably the treatment I am least familiar with in terms of specifics.

I've actually been thinking about subcision since I dont want any more laser treatments. Has anyone gone through it that had similar scars to mine?

I have a roller (1.5) that I bought but I'm a little scared to use it...needles have never been my thing.

As DRaGZ suggested, I think your best option is fractionally ablative laser. Cool Touch is not ablative, and won't do anything for restructuring of collagen deep in the dermis.

Have you consulted with any doctors? I have some similar scarring and asked a few specifically for subcision. They all told me that my scars were too shallow to really benefit from subcision.

No idea on dermarolling. Sorry.

I think subcision definitely works for boxcars, regardless of whether or not they are bound down. Even if they aren't being tethered, subcision creates a pool of blood under the scar that will help to raise it. It's just with boxcars, the sharp walls of the scar will still be there but the scar will be more shallow. Here's the subcision-suction article that shows some great examples of what I mean. However, these scars are deep and TokyoGirl may have a point about some being too shallow to perform on.

http://www.owndoc.co...-acne-scars.pdf

When I got the Cool Touch Laser it helped loads. My face smoothed out but still has the apperance of being bumpy.

What is the average cost of the fractionally ablative laser? I really do not want to do any type of laser treatment on my skin again unless it is a last resort. I'm willing to try almost anything.

Thank you very much for everyones input!

From what I've researched so far the results of most laser treatments just don't warrent the price. Does anyone have before and after pictures of boxcar & icepick scars after subcision? Mixed word results seem to be everywhere but I have yet to actually SEE any results.

Hey jumpingbeans, we posted at about the same time so you may have missed it but the PDF I posted gives examples of boxcar results with subcision and the doctors even made the distinction that they were boxcars and not rolling scars and how they too can be treated. I don't think icepicks work with subcision simply because of the surface area. It's essentially a hole so it would be difficult to subcise. But wider, bigger boxcars, regardless of their irregular shape and walls, can be more leveled with subcision. I think the maxim that "subcision only works for rolling scars" causes some docs to say not worth it for all other scars. It seems that isn't true though.

My skin looks very similar to yours. Generally it feels smooth-ish, but it has the appearance of being really uneven and bumpy. I think this is because the scars are mostly wide and shallow. I have deeper, smaller scars on my forehead.

I live in the UK. Does anyone know what kind of scar treatments are available here?

I am so sorry Jumpigbeans. I have the exact same scars as you do and it is really making me depressed, they even wasted my wedding day! I have had 7 sessions of Fraxel and there was 0% improvement, I basically threw away more than $10,000 for nothing! those dermatologist are really good at selling their products ans I have been way too naive with that as I was deparate to see my scars reduced. I am unable to do the CO2 Fraxel as I have a mediterranean skin type and it could lead to hyperpigmentation and make my skin actually worse but I have doubts it would work as the Fraxel did really nothimg for me! I just started derma rolling last night 0.5mm to get my skin used to the needles and I will jump to 1mm in a couple of weeks, I also ordered some Vitamin C serum and I will also talk to a dermatologist about TCA Cross. Good luck!