Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lilly75

Questions About Saw Palmetto

Is this safe for women to take long term? -- (I heard it was mainly used in men's health though I've also heard it can work well for acne and some women have had success with it)

I've also heard that it works by affecting androgen levels (is that right). Is everyone's acne related to androgen levels? How do I know if an androgen issue is the cause of my acne and how do I know if I should use saw palmetto?

Even if you can only help with one of these questions, or can only refer me to a place with reliable/helpful info, that would be great!!

If you have any other info about saw palmetto, or can share your experience with it, I'd appreciate that also :)

There might be tests you can take, but I would say you probably don't "know" if your acne is caused by excess androgens. Do most people "know" their acne is solely the cause of a bacterial infection before they take antibiotics or slather on benzoyl peroxide? Or "know" that it is hormonally based before they take birth control? Or "know" that excess oil is the sole cause before they jump on Accutane?

I'm not trying to be patronizing here, just making a point. For some reason people get all up in arms about knowing if their androgens are high, when they weren't concerned about knowing if they fit the profile for other treatments. You can talk to an endocrinologist and do a major hormones test, but there isn't really a test designed for androgen activity specifically.

Saw palmetto can definitely be used for women. Straight saw palmetto has been marketed mostly to males but there is nothing unsafe about it for women. You can find saw palmetto marketed to women in several supplements, but it is usually mixed with a lot of other herbs in a "Hormone Balancing" mix like Vitex. It can also be used long-term. Spironolactone has been studied to be safe long-term, and spiro is a much more potent anti-androgen than saw palmetto.

This is from the Health Board reviewed article:

Some people produce more androgen hormones than needed. Anti-androgens like spironolactone block androgen receptors in the body, preventing cells from absorbing androgen hormones. Simply, spironolactone limits hormonal fluctuations that can contribute to acne breakouts. Hormones, specifically androgens, have been linked to the development of acne.
Edited by Green Gables

Thank you so much for the reply Green Gables :) It is really helpful.

I had a quick look for saw palmetto in a pharmacy the other day, where all the vitamins/supplements are, and could only really find it combined with other things and marketed for males / prostate health. Depending on the other ingredient/s in this, would that be ok for me to try do you think? I'm assuming that if I find a supplement that is just saw palmetto but still marketed to men that would be fine.

I'll check around other pharmacies and health food stores to see what they have.

Thank you so much for the reply Green Gables smile.png It is really helpful.

I had a quick look for saw palmetto in a pharmacy the other day, where all the vitamins/supplements are, and could only really find it combined with other things and marketed for males / prostate health. Depending on the other ingredient/s in this, would that be ok for me to try do you think? I'm assuming that if I find a supplement that is just saw palmetto but still marketed to men that would be fine.

I'll check around other pharmacies and health food stores to see what they have.

They will slap prostate health on the bottle because that's their target market. But you don't have a prostate so you don't need to worry ;)

But yeah, I would stay away from anything that starts including a lot of other things. But saw palmetto + stinging nettle is a good combo. Stinging nettle is another anti-androgen that just has a slightly different mechanism.

I have had good experiences with supplements from NOW and LifeExtension. LifeExtension makes a saw palmetto + stinging nettle combo pill: http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension-Palmetto-Sitosterol-Softgels/dp/B0019BLXQY

Thanks for the suggestion of the nettle tea :)

How much of the stinging nettle root tea would you have to drink to see a similar result as with saw palmetto or is it just best to take them both? - Is there such a thing as having too much of these anti-androgen things? I don't imagine that you could overdose or anything -just wondering if too much would have a negative effect somewhere in the body?

I was looking at getting one of these ones:

http://www.blackmores.com.au/products/prostate-health-formula --- it includes other ingredients as well as saw palmetto - vitamin E, selenium, zinc, nettle, and some extract from tomatoes... do you know anything about those ingredients or would it be best to go with this one below

http://www.blackmores.com.au/products/proseren-saw-palmetto --- just the saw palmetto

It's a bit hard for me to buy online but the LifeExtension supplement mentioned is a lot cheaper - so that might be the best option :P

Thanks for the suggestion of the nettle tea smile.png

How much of the stinging nettle root tea would you have to drink to see a similar result as with saw palmetto or is it just best to take them both? - Is there such a thing as having too much of these anti-androgen things? I don't imagine that you could overdose or anything -just wondering if too much would have a negative effect somewhere in the body?

I was looking at getting one of these ones:

http://www.blackmore...-health-formula --- it includes other ingredients as well as saw palmetto - vitamin E, selenium, zinc, nettle, and some extract from tomatoes... do you know anything about those ingredients or would it be best to go with this one below

http://www.blackmore...en-saw-palmetto --- just the saw palmetto

It's a bit hard for me to buy online but the LifeExtension supplement mentioned is a lot cheaper - so that might be the best option tongue.png

As long as your overall dosage of milligrams of saw palmetto + stinging nettle isn't really high overall, there's no harm in taking both. Because they act by slightly different mechanisms, some people report better success when you combine them.

My only concern with the first one you linked is that each pill only has 144mg of saw palmetto, so if you needed to get up to the typical dose of 500mg+ a day, you would also be taking 100mg of zinc, which is dangerous. I would just get the straight saw palmetto so you can adjust the dosage as needed without worrying about other ingredients being toxic.

If you can buy online...I certainly would look for a cheaper one, that's like the priciest saw palmetto I've ever seen :o

Edited by Green Gables

Yeah I thought the price of that one was a bit ridiculous! If I can't find straight saw palmetto in stores in a cheaper brand then I'll try to get it online.

Thanks again for your help smile.png

Edited by Lilly75

Have any men tried saw palmetto and had good results? Just curious, because I see a lot of females who have had success with it, but no males.

I bought a saw palmetto that cost 13 bucks and had 200 capsules 450 mg.

Take 3 of them a day, too much?

Wow they really lower ur sebum levels.

That sounds like an awful lot, DaftFrost! Off the top of my head, 2 x 160 mg was suggested (I forgot who did the study, some uni). I think it had more to do with enlarged prostate or something, not sure if it's really effective for sebum reduction, I'd like to see some research about it. But anyway, I think 3 pills a day is a lot, I'd go back to 1. Did you notice a reduction in sebum already (considering the "wow")?

That sounds like an awful lot, DaftFrost! Off the top of my head, 2 x 160 mg was suggested (I forgot who did the study, some uni). I think it had more to do with enlarged prostate or something, not sure if it's really effective for sebum reduction, I'd like to see some research about it. But anyway, I think 3 pills a day is a lot, I'd go back to 1. Did you notice a reduction in sebum already (considering the "wow")?

Lol, I thought so too. There's this drug that costs 50 bucks, forgot its name but it's primary ingredient is Saw Palmetto and many people had success with it. The website recommendd to take 3-4 capsules a day and each had around 600 mg saw palmetto extract, so I thought it was pretty fine, I didn't notice much or any side effects though.

Plus, I am not sure about the limitations though, 450 mg is not much. It's just a small grain of a penny, naturally people could eat the saw palmettos berries, getting more than 450 mg of it, I believe.

The sebum reduction is noticeable in just few days, so its quite fast.

A few days?! That's pretty fast indeed, man! I don't know about the side effects (if there are any), but if I were you I'd look up some info about it, just to be sure. Better safe than sorry, right?

I have seen anecdotal reports on this board and others of men having success with 500-1000mg a day for severe acne. Less may work for mild to moderate.

Here is that study from Uni of Maryland.

Saw Palmetto:

Saw palmetto is better known for its ability to help treat BPH in men; however, the primary active constituents within saw palmetto may also help reduce the severity of acne. According to the University of Maryland Medical center the primary constituents of this herb include plant sterols, fatty acids and flavonoids.

Saw palmetto contains a high concentration of polysaccharides, which are used by the human body to enhance the immune system as well as work as an anti-inflammatory. One of the primary benefits of saw palmetto is its ability to hinder the transformation of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, which is also known as DHT.

Effectiveness on Acne:

While the studies regarding saw palmetto and acne are limited, several studies have found that the oral consumption of saw palmetto may help reduce the severity of hormone-driven acne in women and men.

According to the Southbury Clinic for Traditional Medicines and Catalina Lifesciences, researchers have found that when testosterone undergoes the conversion process to DHT, the shifting in hormone levels can result in acne in both men and women, and can also cause baldness and prostate enlargement in men.

The cause of an increase in pimples is due to the overproduction of sebum within your oil glands. This overproduction clogs your pores, which results in inflammation and pimples.

Although initial research of saw palmetto for the treatment of acne is promising, Dr. Richard Fried writes in the report "Saw Palmetto as a Treatment for Acne" that the effectiveness of saw palmetto for acne treatment will vary from person to person.

Dosage:

Although the scientific community has not released an official dosage of saw palmetto for the treatment of acne, the University of Maryland Medical Center suggests users consume 160 mg of saw palmetto two times per day. Make sure that the supplement is comprised of a minimum of 85 percent fatty acids and plant sterols.

Edited by Green Gables

saw plametto cleared my acne in 2 days.

i take 1280mg berry extract 90% fatty acids.

side effect:less libido

Saw Palmetto isn't the only thing that inhibits DHT, avocados and others plants do that too.

Since it's an anti-inflammatory fatty acid, I wouldn't think there would be much side effects.

Is this safe for women to take long term? -- (I heard it was mainly used in men's health though I've also heard it can work well for acne and some women have had success with it)

I've also heard that it works by affecting androgen levels (is that right). Is everyone's acne related to androgen levels? How do I know if an androgen issue is the cause of my acne and how do I know if I should use saw palmetto?

Even if you can only help with one of these questions, or can only refer me to a place with reliable/helpful info, that would be great!!

If you have any other info about saw palmetto, or can share your experience with it, I'd appreciate that also smile.png

Yes, it affects androgens. And Yes androgens are involved in acne. But that doesn't mean you have an issue with your androgen levels. And the only way to know is to get tests. Many because hormones fluctuate.

Also beta sitosterol is the active ingredient and you can get it in supplements that are more potent. But it's also in all plant oils so you can also get it by eating healthy plant fat sources like avocados and pumpkin seeds which are also high in many other nutrients beneficial for hormones and acne such as zinc.

There are many other ways todays western diet screws up your hormones and eating right is always the best way. It helps your body regulate itself whatever your problem is.

Edited by alternativista