Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boston50

Quenching Extreme Thirst

Do any of you have recommendations for good thirst quenchers while on spiro. Other than water, of course. My daughter seems to have raging thirst even on 50 mgs. per day. Did I read Gatorade and/or Green Tea was helpful?

Do any of you have recommendations for good thirst quenchers while on spiro. Other than water, of course. My daughter seems to have raging thirst even on 50 mgs. per day. Did I read Gatorade and/or Green Tea was helpful?

Your body absorbs water the best through foods that contain water. Juicy fruits.

Second best is fruit juice or water with electrolyes (e.g. Gatorade).

Also some salt consumption is good for you because it helps you retain water. I used to eat low-salt because I thought it was healthier. It's really not unless you have a specific salt problem. I am not as thirsty now that I allow myself some salty foods.

How long has she been on spiro? Extreme thirst lasted about the first month for me then it stopped. Strangely the thirst was worse on 50mgs than 100mgs.

Edited by Green Gables

Boston 50 can i ask you a question?I have seen from other posts thatyour daughter has beenbattling acne for a while now off and on. I saw somewhere where you said along time ago that her skin did best on yasmin but she couldn't take how it made her feel. My 16 year old daughter's derm wanted to put her on yasmin, but we went with ortho tri cyclen instead because it worked for me when I was 25 and started to get horrible acne. He also put her on clindamycin lotion. That was late February of this year. And her skin cleared up so good and so fast. Fast forward to today. Last month Inoticed a few spots on her chin, nothing really bad, but it concerned me because her skin was almost perfect. Then her forehead broke out. But last weekend her skin was almost perfect again. Not as good as before but still good. Well this week it has completelygone downhill. She has gotten large bumps beside her nose and one above her lip. She is also on the last row of pills.It is still not full fledge acne like it was before but I am beginning to panic. This is the worst her face has looked in 7months. I thought the ortho tri cyclen was what was really helping because it did for me and another friend of hers who had bad acne. But now I am beginning to think it was the clindamycin and maybe now the clindamycin isnt working anymore. But she is a cheerleader also and is practicing about 3 hrs a day and sweating so much. This is when she started breaking out again. So I dont know.

Anyway, I am calling the derm Monday and taking her back. She doesnt want to switch birth control because she is afraid of an initial breakout from switching. Maybe at least a new antibiotic will help.

Did your daughter have an initial breakout when she started yasmin? And how long did it take to see results?

Boston 50 can i ask you a question?I have seen from other posts thatyour daughter has beenbattling acne for a while now off and on. I saw somewhere where you said along time ago that her skin did best on yasmin but she couldn't take how it made her feel. My 16 year old daughter's derm wanted to put her on yasmin, but we went with ortho tri cyclen instead because it worked for me when I was 25 and started to get horrible acne. He also put her on clindamycin lotion. That was late February of this year. And her skin cleared up so good and so fast. Fast forward to today. Last month Inoticed a few spots on her chin, nothing really bad, but it concerned me because her skin was almost perfect. Then her forehead broke out. But last weekend her skin was almost perfect again. Not as good as before but still good. Well this week it has completelygone downhill. She has gotten large bumps beside her nose and one above her lip. She is also on the last row of pills.It is still not full fledge acne like it was before but I am beginning to panic. This is the worst her face has looked in 7months. I thought the ortho tri cyclen was what was really helping because it did for me and another friend of hers who had bad acne. But now I am beginning to think it was the clindamycin and maybe now the clindamycin isnt working anymore. But she is a cheerleader also and is practicing about 3 hrs a day and sweating so much. This is when she started breaking out again. So I dont know.

Anyway, I am calling the derm Monday and taking her back. She doesnt want to switch birth control because she is afraid of an initial breakout from switching. Maybe at least a new antibiotic will help.

Did your daughter have an initial breakout when she started yasmin? And how long did it take to see results?

I'm not the OP, but I wanted to let you know that I am a dancer and dance 3-6 hours a day. My acne cleared 100% on spironolactone.

If you have a hormonal sensitivity to androgens, many times birth control is not enough. Exercise, unfortunately, directly increases androgen activity and DHT (which also has to do with hormonal acne). This is why I went on a direct anti-androgen. OTC tries to level out your hormones but it doesn't directly solve the androgen problem like spiro will. I wasn't going to give up dancing, but fortunately spiro has stopped my face from freaking out.

Edited by Green Gables

Thanks. I just sent you a message Green Gables

I'm not the OP, but I wanted to let you know that I am a dancer and dance 3-6 hours a day. My acne cleared 100% on spironolactone.

If you have a hormonal sensitivity to androgens, many times birth control is not enough. Exercise, unfortunately, directly increases androgen activity and DHT (which also has to do with hormonal acne). This is why I went on a direct anti-androgen. OTC tries to level out your hormones but it doesn't directly solve the androgen problem like spiro will. I wasn't going to give up dancing, but fortunately spiro has stopped my face from freaking out.

Thank you Green Gables. The reason I was wondering if yasmin would be better is I know the progesterone in it is anti androgenic. How old were you when you got the spiro prescribed? Her derm wont give it to her because she is 16.

My daughter started to clear immediately on Yasmin. Then when the spiro was added it only got better. She broke out terribly on ortho-tri-cyclen. She gave up after 5 months on it.