Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gingergirl22

African Black Soap (Powdered Form By Sheaterra)

Has anyone used this powdered form of African Black Soap? Here's a link to the product by SheaTerra:

http://www.sheaterraorganics.com/100-Pure-Raw-African-Black-Soap_p_351.html

I use their rosehip oil black soap. It's a liquid form with added natural ingredients. I highly recommend either one. African black soap is amazing

Edited by Murph89

Has anyone used this powdered form of African Black Soap? Here's a link to the product by SheaTerra:

http://www.sheaterra...Soap_p_351.html

I use their rosehip oil black soap. It's a liquid form with added natural ingredients. I highly recommend either one. African black soap is amazing

This one? http://www.sheaterraorganics.com/Rose-Hips-Black-Soap-Deep-Pore-Face-Wash-and-Mask_p_299.html

African black soap is typically alkaline, ph level of 9 or so. ph neutral is 5. Just FYI. Alkaline products can be very drying.

Edited by Green Gables

African black soap is typically alkaline, ph level of 9 or so. ph neutral is 5. Just FYI. Alkaline products can be very drying.

Good to know. I've been playing close attention to ph levels of products/ingredients I put on my skin these days and it has helped a lot.

Murph89 - Does your skin dry out after washing with the black soap?

Good to know. I've been playing close attention to ph levels of products/ingredients I put on my skin these days and it has helped a lot.

Murph89 - Does your skin dry out after washing with the black soap?

Yeah that's the soap i use. My skin doesn't feel tight afterwords, but it is a little dry afterwords yeah. I'll take a little dryness over oiliness any day.

I should clarify my previous post. ph neutral is 7. However, the SKIN'S "neutral" is 4-5.5. The skin at its ideal state is slightly acidic.

The acid mantle is a mixture of secretions of the skin on the surface of the skin. Sweat and sebum form the acid mantle. The normal skin pH is between 4 to 5.5, so it is acidic. This mixture which is acidic is called acid mantle. The acid mantle protects the skin from bacteria. Bacteria get killed by the acid and cannot damage the skin. If you strip the skin of its acidic mantle by using strong alkaline soaps/cleansers, bacteria will find it easy to attack the skin. Moreover removing the acid mantle disturbs the distribution of dead cells on top of epidermis. This is called stratum corneum. The structure of cells in the dead skin cells layer gets disturbed and the bacteria find an easy passage through to the epidermis. Normally these dead cells protect the skin against such damages. The skin is a miracle. These dead cells if allowed to accumulate will make the skin look very bad, but if totally removed, the skin is left defenseless to an extent. We have to arrive at a fine balance in maintenance of the skin.

What disturbs acid mantle?

Alkaline soaps and detergents are the primary destroyers of acid mantle. The other factor that may affect the acid mantle may be excess perspiration. If you perspire more than average, your acid mantle will have a higher proportion of sweat compared to others.

Edited by Green Gables

Once again, very informative Green Gables. Thanks!

Wowza, 14 hrs...now I don't feel so nuts about being over-the-top anal about gentle cleansing.

It all makes so much sense, the benefits of preserving the acid mantle. What isn't so clear to me is where that tipping point is - when and why do those same products of the skin (sweat and sebum) go from factors that support healthyacid mantle function to actual contributors of the very conditions that the acid mantle is designed to shield against.