Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leelowe1

Advice Needed.....not Sure Where To Go From Here

Hi all. So after dealing with the return of my acne after an accutane course 2 years ago, it is at the worst that it has ever been.

I have been trying to find a pattern so that i could possibly find my root cause but to no avail. i am going to list the facts so hopefully someone may be able to point me in the right direction. All this trial and error is making my head spin.

Skin Type: Oily on Forehead/Cheeks

Dry on Chin

Acne is mostly on chin, side of jaw around mouth/lip are

Type of Acne is inflamed, usually starts under the skin, will sometimes come to a head/sometimes not. Very tender. It comes and goes in the same areas. Tend to form in clusters so one area will have several of these types of pimples.

My acne is constant - its always there. One area heals, the other area flares up, sometimes all the areas flare up at the same time. I tried tracking to see if it correlates to my cycle but i couldn't find a pattern.

I have tried:

Topicals (still had the same problem though not as bad as it is now)

accutane (got me clear and kept me clear for 2 years)

Paleo diet (tried it for almost 3 months, acne just got worse and worse

Allergy/Intolerance tests (avoided these foods, still had acne)

Supplementing (acne still bad)

Birth Control (never helped my acne)

Antiiotics(never helped my acne)

Now i ask, what is there left for me to do?

Should i get my hormones tested? I spent the summer doing the natural skin care thing and it didn't help so i am going to see a derm this Friday (i am starting to have marks). i know topicals are not the answer but if i can at least get on a regimen that can minimize what is happening to my face i can give my body more time to sort itself out.

Any Advice about my root cause?

BTW, is it possible to have hormonal imbalances (too much testosterone, estrogen, etc) if my periods are regular and my breakouts are constant(not correlated to my cycles). I don't have symptoms for PCOS

Any and all help is appreciated.

I have never had problems with my period, I've been regular since the day I started. Yet Spironolactone 100mg still cleared me 100%.

Also this is a pet peeve of mine, but saying "birth control didn't help me" isn't really accurate. The birth control you tried didn't help you. There are so many birth controls that all have different balances of hormones. I bet there is a birth control out there that is capable of balancing your hormones. The BCs that consistently help acne are high in estrogen and contaoin a NON-androgenic progesterone (many BCs contain a type of progesterone that can make acne worse).

But I understand if BC makes you a little leery, that's why I went with a non-hormonal copper IUD for birth control and spiro for acne. This way I don't have any artificial hormones in my body, and spiro is just muting my excess androgen activity.

So obviously I think spiro is the way to go, because it targets the excess androgens specifically that typically cause acne. If you took a really high dose of a natural herb anti-androgen, such as saw palmetto, stinging nettle, or wild yam, you may also see similar results.

So there's my suggestion, good luck on your serach.

Edited by Green Gables

Thanks Green Gables for the response. I've been reading up on Spiro and it seems very hit and miss. There is a lot of mention of people with PCOS, excess hair and acne related to their cycle (unlike the acne i have) who have success with it. As i stated in another post, i will bring all of this up with my derm when i see her Friday. She is new to me so i'm not sure what her approach will be. Someone recommended her to me and said she helped them and their acne by using Spiro so i know she's open to it.

One step at a time i guess.

Anyone else have suggestions?

You could do whatI am doing now... homemade vegetable juice and taking only two vitamins. I have never been oil free in my life, and since my last pictures much of my acne has vanished (only leaving the spots). Not having oil on my face makes me smile, and I get better every day. You can not see, but the acne on my back as disappeared, leaving only my chest and neck. I am hoping after my acne clears up to get OFF the vitamins and show that the vegetable juice alone WITH a good diet is good enough, so maybe that might help you out a bit. You can read my two links bellow if you haven't already. Also, I don't use anything on my face. Washing your face with any kind of product, even organic, makes your skin worse and/or addicted to it so that when you get off you come back twice as bad. Remember, if the product is too good, customers won't come back. They are not here for you, they are here for business. Honestly, I would just kill two birds with one stone an drink your own juice that's not only good for you and your acne but is helping feed you as well. Why waste your time and money? You can follow me from the beginning of my gallery if you want... You seem to be doing so much in your regime, even "mood support"! I have never heard of those before... what made you take them?

~Best regards!

Treat Acne i am so happy for you! can't wait to see your update pictures. I do juice everyday and my diet is really good. I have also tried the minimal approach and my acne has progressed to the point that it is at now. I now i have a lot going on but am just trying to follow my holistic persons regimen as i have tried suggestions on these boards to no avail. I have bad anxiety and depression hence the need for mood support.

What do you think my root cause is?

Treat Acne i am so happy for you! can't wait to see your update pictures. I do juice everyday and my diet is really good. I have also tried the minimal approach and my acne has progressed to the point that it is at now. I now i have a lot going on but am just trying to follow my holistic persons regimen as i have tried suggestions on these boards to no avail. I have bad anxiety and depression hence the need for mood support.

What do you think my root cause is?

Thanks smile.png. Despite the success I had with Dan's regime, as well as everyone else's creative approach, I just can't see myself growing into an older mature adult doing so much washing and lotioning in the bathroom for the rest of my acne prone life. It doesn't make humanitarian sense. If nothing has helped holistically yet I would seriously consider stoping your topical approach and saving your money for a nutritional approach. The past few weeks has been the longest that I have gone without putting anything on my face and I couldn't have been happier. Not only did I save money and time, my regime (although not acne free yet) as PROVEN to me that MY cause is inside my body. I have done EVERYTHING topical that has either helped little or made it more worse than it was. I believe that our skin is a reflection of our interior health, but as far as "acne" is concerned I am just as confused as everyone else. I prefer to read and research it still.

I wasn't on anti-depressents for long but I have taken them before. Everyone has their reasons and it is not my business nor place to tell them whether they should or shouldn't, but just like acne I would also looking into the possible deeper cause for your moods as well. If you are on as good as a diet as I suspect then it's not the lack of nutrition that could be causing your possible downs but perhaps a lack of sleep and exercise. If you are seriously doing all of these properly, then I would, as I've said before, look into different kinds of exercise and activities. Never stop searching, there is always something for everyone. My family also takes anti-dep's. every day and have been doing so for the past several years. Needless to say nothing has helped them in the long run, but they don't have a healthy diet, sleep cycle, lifestyle anyway so it's extremely hard to pin point their issues. At least your working hard at it!!

Best of luck to you then, I look forward to reading more of your stories smile.png.

Edited by TreatAcne