Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyza

Tried To Pop A Cyst And Failed! Left With A Painful Wound! (Pic)

My left cheek has been clear for nearly a year but recently I had this cyst. usually with cysts I can prick them with a needle, extract the puss and white stuff, it would then scab over and it easily fades. So as usual I tried to pop this cyst but no white puss came out all that came out was clear liquid and blood. Because I was trying so hard to pop the spot has gone 10x bigger and it looks like a wound because of the bruising around it and open skin. Like ive been shot in the cheek or something. I feel super depressed! I know the white puss is still in there because I can feel it deep inside and when that happens my wound usually never heals or scabs over. How do I go about this?

http://i50.tinypic.com/20qccad.jpg

Edited by Kyza

You've probably heard this before, but if you have to work that hard to pop it, then don't pop it. You'll just cause damage.

I find with underground cysts sometimes they eventually come up if I keep my skin well moisturized. The ones that don't I have to get a cortisone shot for.

You've probably heard this before, but if you have to work that hard to pop it, then don't pop it. You'll just cause damage.

I find with underground cysts sometimes they eventually come up if I keep my skin well moisturized. The ones that don't I have to get a cortisone shot for.

Thanks for the reply. Cortisone shots are not readily available in the UK and I have already done the damage so is there anything I can do about this wound?

Edited by Kyza

try calamine lotion dab some on with a qtip it can help dry it out and hopefully bring it to a head. Or you can also try using epsom salt mixed with water and dab some on.

You HAVE to let it dry out. Try "Aveeno, Anti-Itch Concentrated Lotion (with Triple Oat Complex)". I have found the best way to heal is by drying the cyst first. The "ooze" has to stop first before infection sets in. After the dryness sets in, try Mederma (cream not gel) on top to keep the cyst from splitting and bleeding. The reason I feel drying out the cyst first is important is because your skin will peel over and over again if the area is not dry. The more it peels, the deeper the scar we leave ourselves with. I have tried too many methods over the last 17 years (now 47) and have finally resorted to taking Accutane @ 40 & 20 mg each day. As much as they hurt "DO NOT PICK". I took and keep taking pictures every couple of days to keep my hands away from my face. You are not alone!!!!! :)

Thanks

i think I may start accutane. I have had acne since I was 13 (I'm 25 now) and I am at the end of my tether. If it was small white heads I wouldn't be bothered but cystic, scarring, stubborn acne is the worst.

What made it bigger was the fingernail marks/scars because I was pressing to hard otherwise it would have been nice and small. I am never pressing hard again!! I should have learned this lesson a while back but I never do.

I had to prick it with a needle again this morning because the gunk surfaced and I had to get all the gunk out and now its flat. It seems to have started to scab over now which is a good sign. I'm just going to keep putting anti-bacterial cream on it until it heals over. I hate acne!

Edited by Kyza

I've made some pretty nasty wounds out of popping pimples and what worked was keeping Polysporin on the spot. It heals better for me if it does NOT scab. Keeping it moist prevents it from scarring as bad and it makes it look much better by a few days later. You might have a pink spot for awhile, but it almost always 100% disappears for me by the time it's a few weeks later. The pinkness is not the problem, that fades eventually...it's any indentations in the skin that you don't want left and that's what the ointment really helps with.

Edited by girl11

Thanks for replying. Just an update - My wound has fully scabbed up now (phew) so all I'm doing is keeping anti-bacterial cream on it and waiting till it falls off. Now way in hell I am going to pick at this. The lesson here is to NEVER pick a stubborn cyst! If cortisone shots are readily available I'd suggest getting one of those done.

Edited by Kyza

Cystic acne is pretty much an abscess. Buy some Epsom salt and do a warm compress for 20 mins to the infected area. Put on betadine iodine before you go to bed. This should make it able to drain or get rid of it completely. Repeat this every night until you see improvement.This has worked for me and a stray kitten I found that had an abscess due to an embedded fox tail in its neck. Epsom salt draws out infection and heals at the same time.