Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
canuckman

Growing a beard to cover acne

I don't really like beards personally but it's better than the alternative, having a face full of acne. Doesn't help my forehead acne unfortunatley. I often wish i had a mask i could just put on my face that looked like my face but with perfect skin. I thought my acne was starting to disappear a couple months ago but it is WORSE than ever now. eusa_boohoo.gif

Thats what I used to do. I only use an electric shaver now because I find it less irritating.

Ive always wonered about beards. Its really annoying to see people with perferct skin growing beards to cover it and heres me trying to get clear skin. Maybe we could swap! I have mild acne and scars. I may grow a beard to cover the scars once I can. There on my upper cheeks. Ill have to do a lot of shaving to get a beard like Santas! i did grow a goatee over the summer but found it made my skin worse due to the grooming that goes with growing a goatee. I ll have to wait till my face is clear until I grow a beard. oh the irony.

ive always thought concealer just makes it look worse....plus being a guy...i mean hhmmmmmm.....kinda different eusa_think.gif

i also dont like the idea of clogged pores all day long confused.gif

I often thought about growing facial hair to cover acne, but its not treating the problem is it, only hiding it. How can u effectively apply topicals to your face with a load of hair on it for a start. And besides, the longer my facial hair grows the harder it is to shave and more chance of me cutting myself. Also if u do have active acne under your facial hair which u can`t really see, u could easily run over it with a blade and make it worse!

Guest >:(
I often thought about growing facial hair to cover acne, but its not treating the problem is it, only hiding it. How can u effectively apply topicals to your face with a load of hair on it for a start. And besides, the longer my facial hair grows the harder it is to shave and more chance of me cutting myself. Also if u do have active acne under your facial hair which u can`t really see, u could easily run over it with a blade and make it worse!

No you trim them with an electric trimmer. So you don't even touch the skin, it's alot less irritated that way.

an electric trimmer huh, interesting? My facial hair doesnt grow very thick just thin hairs that accumilatee close to the skin, once my facial hair is fully grown u can still see the skin, basically like my arm hair but my facial hair is coarserl

I tend to let my beard and moustache grow. This is because I find that shaving only irritates your skin and makes it more susceptible to acne. This is cos the hairs have been cut and the pore is 'open'. Which means that its easier for bacteria to infect the pore. The shaver can also infect the pore as sometimes its not been cleaned properly etc etc. At least it does in my experiences anyway.

I've found that whenever I grow a beard, I don't get acne in the places where there is hair growing. This is true for me because I used to get spots on my upper lip before I started to grow my moustache. Now that my moustache grows regularly, the spots in that area are non-existent. And I've generally noticed that spots only come in areas of my face where there isn't any hair growth. And I haven't grown a full beard yet so that must mean my acne is going to disappear completely soon on my mid/lower cheeks.

when i shave, which is like every2-3 days, i dont shave my beard completely off, i just shave the hairs down, kinda like what animal said....

but i still use a razor. works pretty well...

I grew a beard for about 6-7 months under my chin and along my jawline to stop them from being seen. I also grew my sideburns even though i didnt have any ance there. Seems a bit silly really, but i thought it would make them go away. It was a good idea, but also a bad idea.

Firstly, the acne is less visable around the beard so less visable and looks like you have clear skin. The acne is also hidden from you so you dont tend to pick at it. It also gives the acne time to clear while it is still being hidden. However, on the other hand, your not clearing up acne, just hiding it. Its a temp thing, but at the end of the day, your gonna look stupid if you have a beard for a year, shave it, then find acne is still there rolleyes.gif Some people (like me) hate having a beard after a while because its very irratating to feel.

Also, best way to grow a beard fast is to shave every 2 days, even if you cant see any hair. Trust me, hair is there, and after a few months grow like mad.

Guest Captain Chaos

grow a beard

it will make you a lot happier, i had one for over 2 years, i really miss it now it's gone sad.gif

if its your first time growing a beard, use conditioner on it for the first few weeks otherwise it might be quite itchy and prickley

if you look good with it, go for it. but there are some people who look absolutely ridiculous with beards or mustaches, so id say just give it a shot and see how it works. it wont completely cover your acn, but there will be less irritation because of no shaving.

Guest ilovepancakes

as a beard grower myself, i started out growing my beard longer than my hair

(buzzcut) and it looked kind of cool. but now i just keep a short beard along my faceline, i just use an electric hair cutter to shave it. long, thick beard hair broke out my neck.

I did this last yr. My beard at the time didn't come in thick enough to cover my acne completely, but it did take alot of focus off my acne. the only problem ws once i shaved it, my face looked awful. Plus my beard didn't grow in some of the areas i had acne. like i had acne on my outer cheeks under my eyes and close to my nose.

yea same thing as a few have already stated:

my dad had bad acne in his early 20s, grew a beard and still has it

I have been working on growing a beard for quite some time now and heres what I noticed

first of all, I only break out around where my beard would be growing, and it is much more susceptible when I shave, so I bought an electric razor which is worth it guys, and I clean shave when I have nowhere to go the enxt day, and just trim during the other days

slowly but steadily it is growing faster, I have my jawline and neck covered and only trim it, same with my moustache which is very light but I dont break out in either of those areas, and never on my nose or forehead etc...

Ive noticed how high up on my face the hairs will grow and if it completely fills in, it would be a huge help for my redmarks which is my main prob

long story short, I was wondering what info ppl had as far as tips etc... I can see the light hairs and sort of an outline of where it would be but the hair is yet to really fill up the side of my cheeks, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks