Notifications
Clear all

Envy.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 08/08/2012 3:42 pm

Especially amongst siblings. I have younger brothers (twins) and one of them has perfect, poreless, porcelain clear skin, perfectly even. The other has and is developing further, the exact same type and pattern of acne I had. It's like experiencing the past all over again, concidering my cousin whom I grew up with like a brother, continued to maintain absolutely perfect skin as he grew. Girls flocked to him and used me to get to him (talking to me in order to get his number and such) and I really did envy him for that. Now, it's happening again, but this time I'm just the observer, the one who knows my brother's future. If only I could stop it. Pain that I wished nobody else would ever have to endure, is now being passed onto my brother and I can see day by day, the change in his personality (despite the fact that we don't talk). I hope they don't end up hating each other. I hope they can both equally grow as people and come together in times of need. Despite all this hope, I'm certain that one will envy the other, like I did and there's nothing I can do but wait and watch it destroy him from the inside out.

Question is, have you ever envied those with clear skin? more importantly, have you ever envied a close family member for having clear skin? did you develop any resentment towards them/let it negatively affect your relationship? and if so, how did you deal with it?

MemberMember
(@tiredofacne29)

Posted : 08/08/2012 8:49 pm

Oh yeah, I've envied my sister for her skin, which is like flawless. I'm so jealous! I don't think I've developed any resentment though. It just makes me sad is all. Interesting post btw.

Murph89 liked
MemberMember
(@lightersup)

Posted : 08/09/2012 1:23 am

Please help get him on the right track and don't standby idly. If he's just starting out with acne there is still hope to control it before it gets out of control. Maybe you could ask your parents to start treating him. You can help with advice on what has or hasn't worked for you in your course. Does he have an acne regimen right now? Good luck you all.

MemberMember
(@quietjamie14)

Posted : 08/09/2012 2:14 am

I envy most young people my own age, especially in the summer when I see them strutting around in the sunlight, smiling, clearly feeling good about themselves, holding hands or sharing a kiss with their partner; and here I am, alone, in the shadows, head down, too ashamed to show my face to the world.

MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 08/09/2012 2:31 am

I envy most young people my own age, especially in the summer when I see them strutting around in the sunlight, smiling, clearly feeling good about themselves, holding hands or sharing a kiss with their partner; and here I am, alone, in the shadows, head down, too ashamed to show my face to the world.

dat feel.... fukkk

MemberMember
(@jacinthaa)

Posted : 08/09/2012 3:42 am

I think everyone envy's people with clear skin.. But still, it's not your skin that matters. Most of my girlfriends have some pimples, you know not the severe acne-thing, but still some pimples during the month. Boyfriends with acne? Not a damn problem for them, not for me either.

I've dated men with clear flawless skin, and i've dated men with some acne. I don't care, cause I don't look at acne. It's the eyes, smile, your attitude that counts.

So yeah you should support your brother, just by letting him now that acne doesn't matter. His attitude and the way he faces life is the most important for girls. Just tell him to keep positive, that it will go away sometimes and if it really bothers him, he can go to his doctor or a dermatologist.

And may I say that it's really sweet you want to help him with this, you're a great brother!

MemberMember
(@fadedjay)

Posted : 08/09/2012 5:21 am

Lee,

Do what you can to help, any help is better than nothing. People may not always notice it or appreciate it but you seem like a decent person so only good things can come your way.

I think a little general envy is natural about things you would like to attain, it all depends where you draw the line.

The one thing i have realised is something's work out the way they do for a reason and we have to work with it till we find a happy medium.

Its good your talking about it and seeking advice all the best dude.

Jay

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 08/09/2012 11:31 am

Thank you for all your responses. I'll work through my mum, to try and get him help and if the time comes when I really think he isn't coping, I'll have to put my pride to one side and talk to him. I guess when you have acne, being envious of clear skin is a given. Especially when, everyday you have to see what a difference having clear skin does for your life, through a sibling or close friend. Anyway, I'm working on finding a practical solution, behind the scenes :D. Thanks again to everyone who offered their sentiments. I appreciate it.

MemberMember
(@rodallega)

Posted : 08/09/2012 9:39 pm

Ya,since this iv seen how before u get acne girls are really interested in u and then suddenly it stops.Its like they let u into their "personal space" and the second u no longer fit their ideal look,they throw you right out.I have friends who were born unattractive and were never with beautiful women.They are really happy guys.I wish i never got sucked in by teenage girls as its like a freakin addiction!When its taken away its devastating

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 08/09/2012 11:54 pm

lol what kind of question is this? have any of us ever NOT envied people with clear skin? but yeah i get what you mean. i dont have any siblings but when im with my friends i feel like im on a lower level because of my skin, if that makes any sense. anyways, help him before his skin really starts to take control!!!

MemberMember
(@fluorescent)

Posted : 08/10/2012 1:11 am

Yes, definitely. On so many occasions that it got pathetic, really. You're a great person to want to help him and not let him go through what you have. Best of luck to you guys!!

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 09/22/2012 2:17 am

hell yeah. my sister who has perfect skin. she sings at the top of her lungs every day for hours as if she didn't have a care in the world. i hear her from across the hall and sometimes i can even feel that she does it to taunt me. she shouldn't be allowed to be that happy. i hate her for acting like that prune bitch who doesn't have any respect for my problems.

and guess what? i'm the one at fault for hating someone wrongly. all because i have a disfigured face. that's two slaps in the face. there's no other way to describe it except that i got the short end of the stick.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/23/2012 1:22 am

I know EXACTLY what you mean. My sister has PERFECT skin, but a nasty attitude which makes the guys run from her. If I could be her for one day, I would do it. My face is the most disgusting thing on the face of the earth. Blind people could probably read my face as if it were a page with braille written on it.

MemberMember
(@ifknhateacne)

Posted : 10/13/2012 9:55 pm

It's normal to feel envious of a sibling if you are the unfortunate one stuck with a full face of acne and scars and your sibling has flawless skin, is attractive, smart, rich, popular and is in a stable relationship, on her way to marriage while you're still alone, and will stay that way because of your acne.

You sometimes wonder why the gene split was so unfair but you have to accept it. I love my sister and it would hurt alot to see her go through this pain I am suffering.. one to take it is enough.

You're a good brother, look after him and ensure he seeks help early to prevent further damage.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/13/2012 10:04 pm

what is his diet like?

Maybe tell him to just take accutane now?

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 10/14/2012 4:17 am

what is his diet like?

Maybe tell him to just take accutane now?

He has had Chinese, pizza, chips and fried chicken every day of this week *_*. I can't prevent certain things from happening, without direct intervention, which I can't do. I have taken control over the shopping though (probably hence why he eats take-out so much these days).

Accutane can't be an option though. It's something I considered for myself in my acne prime and concluded that it just isn't worth it. suffice to say, his acne has gotten better since I posted the OP.

MemberMember
(@cinnamon-girl)

Posted : 10/14/2012 4:21 am

Yes I definitely do, from siblings, relatives and even stranger who has clear skin! It feels pathetic at times coz envy won't serve you any good but yeah, its something that I sort out every now and then.

As for your brother, I really do hope he manage to cope with it, we do know how it feels like to struggle with acne and witnessing it happen to those people who are close to us definitely can get painful but yeah I hope the best for you and your brother. rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@leavemealone)

Posted : 10/14/2012 7:45 am

Easily my older sister. To say the least, my older sister's skin is flawless to an extent where it looks like she's wearing makeup 24/7. It's that good and it kills me inside from time to time. I mean, at least she's supportive and all with me whenever I'm feeling down, but since she's moved, I'm slowly getting used to dealing with breaking out and having no positive comments by my side, but I'm doing what I can to make myself feel good and it's pretty tough due to having unknown depression and sadness at the same time, which sucks. Then we move onto my ex-girlfriend, who might I add is somebody that wasn't right for me. Regardless, her skin was clear, but not so much directed at her, pretty much every girl I know has a clear face. Totally limits my chances when it comes to girls, but I'm not focused on them right now, so it's not so much important, but don't get me wrong, it gave me the impression that even if I'm around friends or random girls in general, I still feel like crap. It made me say think that girls thought "Hey, that guy has acne. I couldn't care less if he played sport or wrote in his spare time, he has pimples, so he can piss off". Nonetheless, I might be the only guy in my soccer team or at the gym with acne, but it doesn't change who I am, I'm still nice and by far from what most arrogant athletes can be like. I just swallow my pride and try my best to move on with life and do what I can to better myself, that's when I'm in the mood to do so, even though it's incredibly difficult at times.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/14/2012 11:15 pm

i have a hard time believing you are the only one at ur gym with acne. Tons of people at gyms have some form of acne.

MemberMember
(@hiimmatt)

Posted : 10/17/2012 12:23 pm

dat feel....fukkk

Yeah....

Holy crap, this hit me hard. I feel you man.... In the exact same situation here :C

MemberMember
(@jabberwocky80)

Posted : 10/20/2012 9:47 pm

Of course I envy those around me with clear, smooth skin. My battle with acne isn't as bad as it WAS, but I'm left with scars that make me leave my hair down and around my face, unsuccessfully attempt to conceal with makeup, or absolutely dread being in any sort of unforgiving light.

I never had out of control acne as a teenager. My story began when I was 27 and went through a traumatic, life-altering experience. I'm 32 now and STILL struggle with self-esteem/self-worth issues stemming from my acne scars. I'm married to a man who loves me no matter WHAT my skin looks like -- and whose skin is smooth, btw (grrr...lol) -- and have friends who claim they've never even noticed my acne and/or scars (not sure I believe THAT), but it doesn't change the critical feelings I have towards myself.

As far as being envious...what I'm extremely envious of are people who, imo, abuse their skin...SMOKING, worshipping the sun, sleeping in makeup, poor diet, overconsumption of alcohol, etc...and have acne-free/acne scar-free skin.