Notifications
Clear all

Rosacea Or Something Else?

MemberMember
(@spmurph)

Posted : 07/29/2012 9:55 am

Ever since I have stopped my Accutane cycle (about four years ago) I have experienced the following condition. I feel my face itch, flush, and sometimes burn. When I look in the mirror I see a red blotch with a bump in the middle of the blotch. The sizes of the blotches and bumps can vary. It seems to happen at random times, however, in the winter I notice it happens more after I shower or wash my face.

Usually the redness/bump go away in about two hours. Sometimes it leaves behind a tiny whitehead or papule. It seems like I will go a couple weeks without any and then a couple weeks when I get 1-2 per day.

I am currently being treated by my derm for scalp folliculitis (another condition that I got after accutane). I am on Solodyn 80mg and the medicine seems to aggravate my condition. I told the derm about it and he said it was acne rosacea and that the Solodyn would help.

Anyone with rosacea experince these symptoms? Is it something else?

MemberMember
(@sugarhigh8)

Posted : 07/30/2012 1:14 am

I was on accutane about 2 years ago in 2010. Accutane definitely cleared my acne, but I get facial itching and what appears to be "hive like red bumps" that sometimes go away during the day or last for a few days. I was diagnosed with both acne and rosacea by a dermatologist. I am thinking about going back to the dermatologist to see if he knows what they are or what is causing these bumps to happen. If I didn't get them multiple times throughout the week my skin would be clear.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 07/30/2012 12:42 pm

Sounds like Accutane-induced rosacea. Sorry, friend, this is one of the many possible side-effects of Accutane and it's a beast. I have had rosacea for a number of years due to a genetic predisposition. I'm sure there is a cause somewhere, but unfortunately no one has really found what causes or cures rosacea. There are a number of things you can do to help relieve the redness and pain, but it is a constant battle. I would check out this site: http://www.rosacea.org/index.php

MemberMember
(@spmurph)

Posted : 08/12/2012 8:48 pm

Can you have rosacea without the facial redness?

MemberMember
(@spmurph)

Posted : 08/15/2012 8:08 pm

I switched up my cleanser and shampoo. Now using Jason tea tree shampoo and cervave hydrating cleanser. We'll see how it goes.

MemberMember
(@spmurph)

Posted : 08/17/2012 11:45 am

Here are some pics

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 08/17/2012 1:35 pm

rosacea IS redness

MemberMember
(@spmurph)

Posted : 08/17/2012 7:44 pm

So if I don't have persistant redness/flushing then it can't be rosacea? If so, what could it be. I must have looked at descriptions and pics of every skin condition and nothing seems to match what I have eusa_wall.gif

MemberMember
(@spmurph)

Posted : 09/13/2012 5:13 pm

So the new cleanser and added lotion seemed to have help. I am still getting red bumps but they no longer itch and have red blotches around them.

Can anyone recommed a topical for the bumps? They are papule like and occasionally develop tiny whiteheads. They always come and go within three days and never leave a scar or pigmentation.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/14/2012 12:34 am

So the new cleanser and added lotion seemed to have help. I am still getting red bumps but they no longer itch and have red blotches around them.

Can anyone recommed a topical for the bumps? They are papule like and occasionally develop tiny whiteheads. They always come and go within three days and never leave a scar or pigmentation.

The best topicals for papular rosacea are:

1) sulfur/sulfacetamide wash or lotion

2) finacea lotion

Both are prescription only.

MemberMember
(@spmurph)

Posted : 01/15/2013 5:23 pm

So I've been on Finacea for two months and have still been usingn the Solodyn daily (80mg). There hasn't been much improvement. I head back to the derm at the end of the month. Hopefully I can get this figured out.

Here are some update pics. The second pic is from my stomach. I am starting to get these bumps on my chest and stomach. post-50497-0-63406700-1358288522_thumb.jpost-50497-0-97512000-1358288570_thumb.j

post-50497-0-63406700-1358288522_thumb.j

post-50497-0-97512000-1358288570_thumb.j

MemberMember
(@makethatchange)

Posted : 01/20/2013 1:43 pm

I get these itchy things too and now they rarely appear ever since I started using avene antirougeurs calm mask once a week (almost for a year now). My dermatologist recommended it to me...one of the few things that he was right about lol. But he didn't say it's rosacea. He said it's from stress. I still sometimes get them but it's maybe once a month or even less. It used to be almost every day and it was really bothering me. Sometimes I also apply avene cicalfate on the itchy bump/pimple and it usually calms it down pretty fast.

p.s.: I was also on accutane but that was 5 years ago.

MemberMember
(@spmurph)

Posted : 01/24/2013 1:49 pm

So I went to the derm today and showed him the above pics. He wants me to stop the Finacea, and start taking Zyrtec daily. He also gave me some Cloderm (a topical cortosteriod) to apply the the bumps when they appear.

Not sure how I feel about this but I guess I will give it a try. Just frustrates me that I can't get a straight diagnosis.

makethatchange, thanks for the recommendation. I will pick up that mask and give it a shot.