Notifications
Clear all

Could Hand Soap Cause Acne?

MemberMember
(@johnskitty)

Posted : 07/08/2012 1:09 am

I have been trying to figure out why when away from home, my acne improves.

My diet and exercise plan are the same and I have looked into different water types and also the amount of sun I was exposed to without finding any explanation.

Today, I was washing my hands with liquid hand soap and realised how much I use and that I don't take the liquid soap away with me. I started researching absorbing of chemicals through the skin and it appears that this can happen. Could a chemical in the soap be getting into my bloodstream and causing my acne? I will start washing my hands with my acne soap (which I always take away) and see if there are any improvements.

Thoughts?

MemberMember
(@vinchenzo)

Posted : 07/08/2012 2:57 am

If you wash your hands with soap right before you wash your face then I can see why it might be causing you acne. Soaps can sometimes leave residue and then when you wash your face your all that chemical residue goes on your face.

Not really sure about the whole soap going into your bloodstream thing. Sounds kind of bogus to me but I'm no professional.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/24/2012 1:47 am

If you wash your hands with soap right before you wash your face then I can see why it might be causing you acne. Soaps can sometimes leave residue and then when you wash your face your all that chemical residue goes on your face.

Not really sure about the whole soap going into your bloodstream thing. Sounds kind of bogus to me but I'm no professional.

I would say most people who use acne products do exactly this. Wash hands with soap before touching their faces (because bacteria is so dangerous.. NOT).

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 10/24/2012 2:22 am

Just use a lot less soap, whether it helps or not. I don't think it will, but using a lot of soap isn't good for you anyway. It just exposes you to unnecessary chemicals, dries your skin, and damages the acid mantle, the protective barrier of the skin.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/24/2012 2:29 am

only place i use soap is my hands, no where else.